You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Evra accuses Suarez of racism

NickConklin

Vinny O'Connor asking some stupid questions at the press conference. KD said 'we released a statement last night and thats it'.

Vinny: Are you still supporting him?

KD: Yes, as we said in the statement.

Vinny: Do you believe he is innocent?

KD: I don't know if you've got wax in your ears or what.

There are some fucked up manc lovers on this thread at the moment by the look of it.....

This political correctness is beyond a joke, if anyone should be charged for their antics in that game it is Evra..... (Moaning, snarling, yelling, cheating, fouling, acting and the list goes on...)

I hope our lads are up for it at OT next time around, as I would love someone to take that cunt out all studs showing right in the knee-cap - it would be just what he deserved...

Liverpool needs to get their PR machine rolling on this one, as the manc loving media and demento will ensure a long ban otherwise......

'lad' 'pal' and 'mate' are all words you'd use to someone who you are not necessarily friends with too though.

True, but, as I understand it, the term translates as 'little black man', and therefore has racial connotactions. If we accept that Suarez was mocking/insulting Evra when using the term then he'll have a hard job convincing the FA that he wasn't racially abusing him.

As I've said though, I stand to be corrected on the use of the word in Uruguary. If theres no evidence that it's ever used in a racially derogatory manner then he should, hopefully, be in the clear.

That said, this dosen't fill me with confidence...Honduran Foreign Minister Resigns Over 'Negrito' Slur : NPR

However, Ortez may have saved his most significant insult for U.S. President Barack Obama, calling him “a little black man who doesn’t know anything “. The actual term he used in Spanish was “negrito” which has very negative racial connotations.

True, but, as I understand it, the term translates as 'little black man', and therefore has racial connotactions.[/url]

What a idiotic thing to say. So i am a racist for calling my mate Ste Brown "Brownie". You can literally translate and break down alot of English words to mean different things.

8 Racist Words You Use Every Day | Cracked.com

There are some fucked up manc lovers on this thread at the moment by the look of it.....

This political correctness is beyond a joke, if anyone should be charged for their antics in that game it is Evra..... (Moaning, snarling, yelling, cheating, fouling, acting and the list goes on...)

I hope our lads are up for it at OT next time around, as I would love someone to take that cunt out all studs showing right in the knee-cap - it would be just what he deserved...

Liverpool needs to get their PR machine rolling on this one, as the manc loving media and demento will ensure a long ban otherwise......

With all due respect. this is not about Liverpool v United too many people on here and red cafe etc are making that the case.

obviously because of the high profileness of it both teams will come into it, but its about one mans allegation against another.

Red cafe are going made stating Kenny and Suarez have released continues statements to the press condoning what has happend, they are asking Kenny to be banned. We are asking evra to be banned if Luis is found not guilty.

In my opinion this should not be investigated by the FA as they dont have the knowledge/experience to deal with it.

If Evra has made an allegation of Racism then it is a criminal offence and should be investigated by the correct authorities ie: Police and a court of Law.

the clubs should not be brought into it. you don’t bring the every day mans company into racial claims made to police.

Its a bit of a mess. We need to put down the facts

Evra.

didnt make a complaint to ref during or right after game

Made a statement to French TV claiming there was clear evidence

Then made a report to Ref

As the FA are investigating this to investigate it properly the FA will need to know at what times allegations was made, how much time between the final whisle was it reported to the Ref and for what reason it was not done during the game.

Suarez

Has made 1 statement to deny the allegation and this has been either misconstrued by the press or somebody has made the word Negrito out of thin air.

I personally would like to see the FA taken away from this as there will be no bias to either player or team

What a idiotic thing to say. So i am a racist for calling my mate Ste Brown "Brownie". You can literally translate and break down alot of English words to mean different things.

8 Racist Words You Use Every Day | Cracked.com

So you don't think that the words 'little black man' have racial connotations?

And comparing a word used to describe someone's race with someone's surname, jeez...

Also, I'm not sure what the purpose of that link is. It shows how words we use today had different (racial) meanings generations ago. Is that the case with 'negrito'? The link I posted (that you ommited in your reply) dosen't seem to think so, nor did the minister who resigned over using the term.

Edited by Jack the Sipper

i´m not gonna read everything on the thread but i´ll throw my two cents in.

the use of negro is used all the time here in colombia and throughout latin america.

it has completely different connotations than it would have in english.

people are a lot less pc obviously and will refer to their family, friends or strangers with references such as indio, gordo-fat, flaco-skinny, negro, etc....

if i´m in the street strangers will frequently refer to me not only as gringo but more commonly as mono-monkey which is used for referring to people with very light skin or in my case, good solid pasty irish skin. i wouldnt take monito as a slur at all.

i don´t know all the ins and outs of either case but perhaps this case is easier for the fa to make a stand on the other high profile case at the moment.

And comparing a word used to describe someone's race with someone's surname, jeez...

Its not used to describe someones race though is it? its just spanish slang for mate like amigo. Negro is a colour, Nigger is derived from this and can be used as a derogatory term. So by your reasoning it is racist because when you translate it and then swap some of the letters its a racist word.

What hope has Luis got when his own fans are drawing these sort of conclusions.

EDIT

the purpose of the link is to show you that all words are derived from other languages and old words and if you dig deep enough im sure you could find sinister alternative meanings to most words.

Also, I'm not sure what the purpose of that link is. It shows how words we use today had different (racial) meanings generations ago. Is that the case with 'negrito'? The link I posted (that you ommited in your reply) dosen't seem to think so, nor did the minister who resigned over using the term.

If he is little, black and a man then what's the problem? It is true after all. You don't get spec wearers or the blind up in arms everytime a ref or linesman is called a blind effin so and so...plus there's white negrito cocktails, Cafe Negrito in Valencia...lots of examples of the word used in everday language. But like i said earlier this is all alleged and nowhere has anyone admitted to using negrito, it has only appeared in the sports section of a lib-dem loving rag #FARacist

True, but, as I understand it, the term translates as 'little black man', and therefore has racial connotactions. If we accept that Suarez was mocking/insulting Evra when using the term then he'll have a hard job convincing the FA that he wasn't racially abusing him.

Literal translations mean fuck all!

It is how and when the word is used!

I don't know if I have misreadt the statement but it doesn't actually say that he has been charged for a racial comment, but because he refered to his colour!

Suarez should sue the FA for racism, for not taking the time to understand his culture.

Its not used to describe someones race though is it? its just spanish slang for mate like amigo. Negro is a colour, Nigger is derived from this and can be used as a derogatory term. So by your reasoning it is racist because when you translate it and then swap some of the letters its a racist word.

What hope has Luis got when his own fans are drawing these sort of conclusions.

Well, if it's the case that white Latino's call each other negrito's then fair enough. As I said above I'm not familiar with the term, but 'little black man' does seem like a racial term to me, whether or not it's derogatory.

And I'm just trying to establish what the case will stand or fall on, based on what I've already said is supposition. That dosen't make me any less of a fan.

Well, if it's the case that white Latino's call each other negrito's then fair enough. As I said above I'm not familiar with the term, but 'little black man' does seem like a racial term to me, whether or not it's derogatory.

And I'm just trying to establish what the case will stand or fall on, based on what I've already said is supposition. That dosen't make me any less of a fan.

But you're looking at it in the wrong context. Within the context of South-American culture it is acceptable, and not deemed racist or have racial connotations.

But you're looking at it in the wrong context. Within the context of South-American culture it is acceptable, and not deemed racist or have racial connotations.

I know, but this is England and he should have been made more aware of the culture differences.

This doesn't make him racist, but it makes him ignorant IMO.

If he is little, black and a man then what's the problem? It is true after all. You don't get spec wearers or the blind up in arms everytime a ref or linesman is called a blind effin so and so...plus there's white negrito cocktails, Cafe Negrito in Valencia...lots of examples of the word used in everday language. But like i said earlier this is all alleged and nowhere has anyone admitted to using negrito, it has only appeared in the sports section of a lib-dem loving rag #FARacist

Next time you get into an argument with a black guy, call him a little black man (or ugly black man if he's ugly) and see how far the 'well, I'm only making an observation' line gets you in court. Describing people by their colour isn't racist in itself, but it's all about the context in which the remarks are said.

I do actually agree with the hypocrisy you alluded to though. Why are some insults considered differently than others? Further, why is physically assulating someone on the pitch deemed a lesser crime than racially abusing them?

I also agree that this is all alleged, as I've said in pretty much every post on here.

There isn't one.

Thanks kiddo

So basically everyone on here has been arguing about the word, its term or usage and there's nothing anywhere to even suggest that it was used.

Though maybe a few papers have carried it or rather made it up I'd say.

Sky have nothing.

Other dirty manc players have not breathed a word about it. And nor did they at the time.

The cunts cunty horrible bastard oxygen thief of a manager is silent on it.

And it's taken a month for a crap charge of insulting (not racist) language/behaviour to be raised.

All sounds a bit ropey to me.

To many bodies on here getting involved in petty skirmeshes with each other.

Grow the fuck up.

If for some obscure reason he is found guilty over the use of the word (because of 'cultural differences' etc) i'll still support the little genius and the club of which I have done for the last 42 years.

I know, but this is England and he should have been made more aware of the culture differences.

This doesn't make him racist, but it makes him ignorant IMO.

I agree with that to a certain extent, but it shouldn't be enough to brand someone a racist and ban them. The FA are in a sticky situation here, if Suarez is found guilty the club and player could make this a legal issue, I can't imagine the club taking any guilty verdict lightly, and rightfully so.

In my opinion, this is posturing from the FA to show the football world that they take allegations of racism seriously. I think Suarez will be cleared, but reminded about the cultural differences, with the FA probably making it public.