You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Evra accuses Suarez of racism

NickConklin

Just to follow up - if the man uts players where shouting 'trigger' and Suarez started calling him it then its possible in Suarez's less than perfect english pronunciation that Evra miss-heard this as the N word. This Negrito rumour is made up by a manc journalist and is based on pure speculation , and the rest of the press have picked up on it. Why dont the fa just ask Evras teammates what they call him.

If you had no clue (as many on here did) to the meaning of "negrito" and someone said it to you, there is no way in a million years you would think it was racist. It sounds nothing at all like negro or nigger.

Maybe there is a racist word in French that sounds similar.

Or maybe its just all Bullshit which is were my moneys at, doesnt mean he will get away with it though.

If I was black and someone called me negrito I would punch first, google second.

Why not?

All the black people I know refer to themselves as black, they also refer to white people as white.

In my opinion comments like the ones you just posted Ant is a result of a society trying too hard to show they are not racists so they have lost the actual meaning of racism along the way and instead of doing something about racism they are now worked up trying to police pretty pathetic and irrelevant stuff like if someone use a certain word or not.

If people used the same time at actually trying to do something with everyday racism as they do discussing matters of no real interest like this one we would have come along way.

Black Debbie...

[YOUTUBE]jhnE06jDu4s[/YOUTUBE]

Why not?

All the black people I know refer to themselves as black, they also refer to white people as white.

In my opinion comments like the ones you just posted Ant is a result of a society trying too hard to show they are not racists so they have lost the actual meaning of racism along the way and instead of doing something about racism they are now worked up trying to police pretty pathetic and irrelevant stuff like if someone use a certain word or not.

If people used the same time at actually trying to do something with everyday racism as they do discussing matters of no real interest like this one we would have come along way.

I think what Ant is trying to say is that if he has a short, black friend, and Ant wanted to rib him for being short, he would simply call him a midget. The fact that he is black is irrelevant. We are well aware that black people refer to themselves as black.

Ha! Seriously though, that is the rather obvious point that people like oliver holt are missing. If you call someone a black midget, you are not merely making an observation, you are implying that both things are negative. Which is why calling anyone a black anything IS racist.

No it isn't!

It simply isn't. Black is a description, people infer the negative or racial undertone in the word.

Unless you are suggesting that the MOBO awards are racists?

Or me saying that Trevor McDonald is one of very few Black Television presenters, is that racists?

The only ignorance being shown here is people looking at everything from their own perspective, which in your case and Ants is English.

It is a spanish word, with South American meaning and was used in a Non European context, and he is being judged by European definitions of what is racist and not.

Fucking ludicrous.

You're right, they're not friends, but how often is the phrase 'calm down mate' used in an argument, despite there being no relationship ? As far as I know, there aren't any racially offensive uses for the word 'Negrito' in South America, which is the context in which Suarez used the word. There are vending machines for the 'Negrito' sweet scattered all over some South-American countries which displays the word and a picture of a little black child.

think your on about this...

Negrito_Bimbo-logo-AA4D349E98-seeklogo.com.gif

Negrito_Bimbo_by_Cepillo16.jpg

No it isn't!

It simply isn't. Black is a description, people infer the negative or racial undertone in the word.

Or me saying that Trevor McDonald is one of very few Black Television presenters, is that racists?

The only ignorance being shown here is people looking at everything from their own perspective, which in your case and Ants is English.

It is a spanish word, with South American meaning and was used in a Non European context, and he is being judged by European definitions of what is racist and not.

Fucking ludicrous.

It's all about the context and whether you consider being a midget an insult. Describing Trevor McDonald as one of very few black television presenters is not intended as an insult.

I had this conversation with a black mate of mine, he didn't see anything racist in someone calling him a black cunt, I, the white guy, had to explain to him that black was being used as a negative description.

Theres a great bit in the office when Brent is telling a joke about a black mans cock when a black guy walks over. I'm sure you've seen it.

No it isn't!

Fucking ludicrous.

Idiot. I'll leave fungus to explain where you're going wrong.

It's all about the context and whether you consider being a midget an insult. Describing Trevor McDonald as one of very few black television presenters is not intended as an insult.

I know! I was responding to the suggestion that using black is a prefix is always racist.

It isn't. Funny but I would have expected to read comments along the lines of 'he is in our country now and should therefore abide by our culture' on a right wing forum!

Its like dealing with children on here at times. Well done for pointing out the obvious which will, almost certainly, result in a flurry of ignorant responses telling you you're wrong.