You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

To learn to play the guitar.

Anny Road

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

Others may have different advice, but I would recommend just getting something cheap as fuck for now. It doesn't matter yet. Your second guitar can be half decent.

I will take that advice. I just want to be able to play a few tunes and use it as a way to relax. 

Easy peasy pal - you could learn 4 or 5 chords and you will be amazed how many great tunes you can do.

If I were you, seeing as how you mention acoustic, would consider starting on a nylon string. Most beginners quit because it takes awhile to build your finger strength and callus up. If you are doing that on a steel string that time is borderline painful for some.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Easy peasy pal - you could learn 4 or 5 chords and you will be amazed how many great tunes you can do.

If I were you, seeing as how you mention acoustic, would consider starting on a nylon string. Most beginners quit because it takes awhile to build your finger strength and callus up. If you are doing that on a steel string that time is borderline painful for some.

Are they common or niche?

57 minutes ago, Elite said:

I'm thinking of trying this. I love acoustic music so would be quite happy going down that route.

I'm nearly 34, anyone successfully learnt at a similar age?

Started last November at the ripe old age of 52 and been having lessons since,had a skype one today,and love it. I'm still not very good and the only thing I regret is not starting much sooner. Go on,give it a go.

• Upvote 9

25 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Good advice that. I tried learning on a steel strung Yamaha acoustic years ago and gave up for the reasons you mentioned.

Learned 3 or 4 chords, but could I fuck get F.

Lack of patience, frustration and the realisation I was shite was enough for me to stop.

A lad who started learning around the same time as I did went on to be pretty good but he was more dedicated and patient than me and he didn't have fingers like 2 lb of Cumberland like I have.

7 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Good advice that. I tried learning on a steel strung Yamaha acoustic years ago and gave up for the reasons you mentioned.

Lack of patience, frustration and the realisation I was shite was enough for me to stop.

A lad who started learning around the same time as I did went on to be pretty good but he was more dedicated and patient than me and he didn't have fingers like 2 lb of Cumberland like I have.

You can get very light gauge acoustic strings nowadays. Always take your guitar to a tech and get it set up when you start as it makes things a lot easier and doesn't cost too much either. 

9 hours ago, Elite said:

I'm thinking of trying this. I love acoustic music so would be quite happy going down that route.

I'm nearly 34, anyone successfully learnt at a similar age?

Check out ‘Justin Guitar’. He has a great online beginner course which is free. Lots of other videos about which guitars and other gear to buy as well. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Elite said:

Any recommendations on makes of guitar to buy, obviously don't want to pay loads .

Was going to say go to a shop and ask, as they will help you and you can try a few out, but might not be practical at the moment. I wouldn't recommend a nylon string unless you want to play classical type stuff, as they don't hold up to strumming that well. You're 34, it'll hurt for a bit, deal with it. You can always buy a lighter set of strings.

Main thing is when you get the guitar check the distance of the strings from the fretboard doesn't get more than a few mm bigger between the top of the neck and the fret with two dots.

Yamaha do some very good budget stuff, the beginner packages are generally quite good for the money.

One of the first things to learn is how to get your plectrum back out of the sound hole.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't know how you search ebay by you - but a used student Yamaha nylon string cant be more than about 60 or 70 USD

11 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

Was going to say go to a shop and ask, as they will help you and you can try a few out, but might not be practical at the moment. I wouldn't recommend a nylon string unless you want to play classical type stuff, as they don't hold up to strumming that well. You're 34, it'll hurt for a bit, deal with it. You can always buy a lighter set of strings.

Main thing is when you get the guitar check the distance of the strings from the fretboard doesn't get more than a few mm bigger between the top of the neck and the fret with two dots.

Yamaha do some very good budget stuff, the beginner packages are generally quite good for the money.

One of the first things to learn is how to get your plectrum back out of the sound hole.

Another shout for Yamaha here. Lot of acoustic guitar for the money the old yammies.

16 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Another shout for Yamaha here. Lot of acoustic guitar for the money the old yammies.

13 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Agree with that too.

The biggest problem I've always found in cheapo beginner guitars is the cheapo tuners don't hold tune.

I had one of the Yamaha Pacifica Strat copies, came in as a trade in at the music shop I worked at. 

One of the guys who did repair and upgrade work put in a pair of original Fender coils (I think they were whatever Fender was selling as "vintage") and a humbucker out of my mates Ibanez, which was a Duncan Screamin Demon if I remember correctly.

I ended up selling it to buy another mates Fernandes, can't remember the model but it was one of the early Fernandes models from before they became a budget minded brand.

Anyhoo, my mate sold the guitar at the guitar shop he worked at and pretty much everybody I know had a go on the Pacifica at one time or another. These are guys with original Les Pauls, fancy Ibanez, Jacksons and ESP Custom shop stuff and without fail everyone reckoned it was a great guitar. Sounded mint with the pickup upgrades and you could really go to town on the thing without it going out of tune.

Obviously in my ownership it was very much let down by the fact I am an absolutely shite guitarist. 

The Fernandes was probably the better guitar, but always felt harder to play. I would have been much better just sticking with the stock Pacifica with the pickup upgrades. 

I've just started to try and learn blues guitar. Got a cheap spider resonator (invented in the 1920's, louder than an acoustic guitar) from Gear4Music - absolutely love it. Can't play to save my life yet and I guess open G tuning will bar me from most traditional music.

I learnt how to play on an Eko Ranger I bought off a mate’s Dad, a 12 string strung to 6!

I finally picked up a budget Yamaha and it’s a solid shout, you’ll get decent one to learn on without breaking the bank. The Used market is definitely an option too and might get you a bit more for your money. A nylon string will be easier on the fingers initially but I’d tough it out and get a steel string as you’ll want to be able to play a few songs and a steel string acoustic will respond to strumming far better. Getting someone to check the action (distance between strings and fretboard, checking no fret buzz etc.) on it is a great shout earlier too.

Learning the guitar at first can be tough, be prepared to get frustrated and disheartened at first. It took me about 3 months with reasonable dedication to be able to play a little. Once you get to a certain level of competency (strum a few chords without dampening the odd string etc.) you’ll see a dramatic improvement in the same period afterwards. 

I found having a few different things to work helps too. I remember learning the main lick to Live And Let Die, the intro to Crazy Little Thing Called Love and then some simpler songs like Save the Last Dance For Me. 

I saw this pop on Twitter recently and it took me back to the time when I was learning, I’ve never regretted it and should play a lot more these days.

Sounds like there is plenty of people to help and encourage on here so best of luck and enjoy. 

• Upvote 2