You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

NESV to buy Roma?

Deepz

Well one of their partners to anyway, sure it'll be coming from the same guys though. Does this mean anything to us?

NESV's DiBenedetto given 30-day period to purchase AS Roma - Boston Pro soccer | Examiner.com

February 15, NESV partner Thomas DiBenedetto was granted a 30-day period to negotiate the purchase of AS Roma through his company DiBenedetto AS Roma LLC. The sale of the club, managed through Campagnia Italpetroli, is estimated at 200 million euros. DiBenedetto is promising to double Roma's revenue in five years and build a new stadium in eight years.

Roma, founded in 1927, won the Serie A title in 2001, but has fallen out of success and into debt. Roma currently owes $177.3 million to Unicredit. Today, coach Claudio Ranieri is reported to have resigned following his 4-3 loss to Genoa.

DiBenedetto serves as chairman of the Boston Red Sox, owned by John Henry, and is partner to New England Sports Ventures, which recently purchased Liverpool. DiBenedetto is the president of Boston International Group, an investment management company.

NESV is considering featuring Liverpool in the second annual Football at Fenway tournament, which kicked off last year with Celtic versus Sporting.

i wonder what impact that will have on us?

oh and it's mid february and still no sign of a ceo when it was said previously it would be announced early in the new year

despite the fact that people were doing cartwheels at a 2 million net spend by nesv in january, the jury is still out on them in a big way (purslow's email wasn't exactly fulsome in its praise of them), summer should tell us a lot but i tell you one thing, their spin department is absolutely top notch, this lot would sell ice to eskimoes and make them feel like they got a bargain....i hope they're as great and wonderful as everyone seems to believe they are but the reality is it's far too early to lean one way or the other with them and this roma purchase has just clouded things even further

Wouldn't it be considered as being a conflict of interests?

For instance, if we wanted to buy a Roma player, or vice versa, how could we negotiate with them? also if we were to meet in Europe, who would NESV be supporting?

I'm sure Roman Abramovich tried to do a similar thing a few years ago with CSKA Moscow but he wasn't allowed.

Who paid £7.5m to Hodgson? Cinda fucking rella?

Maybe a fucking big zero in the debt figures helps.

So thats a 9.5 M net spend then ,still not much when you consider the knock down price they bought the club for,I like most on here are fairly optimistic with the way the new owners are going about their buisness but that's not to say they have my trust yet, I don't understand the great love in some on here seem to have with them.If the last few years have taught us anything then it must be actions speak louder than words.

Report: NESV Partner Thomas R. DiBenedetto Negotiating Purchase of AS Roma Club - Soccer - NESN.com

Though DiBenedetto is a partner with NESV, chairman Tom Werner said that the group is not involved in the AS Roma venture.

"NESV is not involved or aware of any discussions in this matter, and NESV has no interest in this investment," Werner told Boston.com on Thursday.

It would certainly be a strange one for NESV as they've made such a big deal of trying to slowly get to know the sport, to simply run out and buy another club would be odd, they don't seem like toy collectors.

So thats a 9.5 M net spend then ,still not much when you consider the knock down price they bought the club for,I like most on here are fairly optimistic with the way the new owners are going about their buisness but that's not to say they have my trust yet, I don't understand the great love in some on here seem to have with them.If the last few years have taught us anything then it must be actions speak louder than words.

So that's a grand total of £309.5m, would you still consider that to be "not much" because most of us would put £309.50 above that level. How about the £35m spent pretty much at the drop of a hat on one player, not much?

Actions do indeed speak louder than words and NESV have done well so far by keeping their mouths shut and going about their actions professionally. There should be no need for them to start waving wads of dollar bills around and subsidising us, it's a business not a hobby. As atk has pointed out, now that RBS aren't being given every penny the club makes LFC is one of sport's biggest brands and should be able to pay it's own way.

So that's a grand total of £309.5m, would you still consider that to be "not much" because most of us would put £309.50 above that level. How about the £35m spent pretty much at the drop of a hat on one player, not much?

Actions do indeed speak louder than words and NESV have done well so far by keeping their mouths shut and going about their actions professionally. There should be no need for them to start waving wads of dollar bills around and subsidising us, it's a business not a hobby. As atk has pointed out, now that RBS aren't being given every penny the club makes LFC is one of sport's biggest brands and should be able to pay it's own way.

Pretty much spot on. As long as that happens NESV are sound in my book.

Anybody expecting them to blow hundreds of millions of their own money on players is living in fantasy land. But if they allow us to spend our own money we'll be just fine.

Pretty much spot on. As long as that happens NESV are sound in my book.

Anybody expecting them to blow hundreds of millions of their own money on players is living in fantasy land. But if they allow us to spend our own money we'll be just fine.

City and Chelsea are doing an excellent job of proving that approach doesn't work anyway. Dalglish is building a solid squad of good lads (it will be an increasingly British one too IMO) and will also utilise a promising crop of youngsters.

Who paid £7.5m to Hodgson? Cinda fucking rella?

Maybe a fucking big zero in the debt figures helps.

That would be the club mate yeah?? They haven't paid the useless auld fecker out of their pocket, also wouldn't necessarily have been a straightforward payout, they could be paying him over the supposed duration of his contract.

23 mill was spent BEFORE Torres left. And we were expected to spend 10 mill on Charlie Adam. That was likely 33 mill we would have spent before knowing we were going to lose Torres for 50.

City and Chelsea are doing an excellent job of proving that approach doesn't work anyway. Dalglish is building a solid squad of good lads (it will be an increasingly British one too IMO) and will also utilise a promising crop of youngsters.

As long as we don't go out and buy a shedload of squad players in the summer, I'd happily agree with that. Fully expecting some of the young players to be given more chances next season.

Bring in two, maybe three players of the highest quality in the summer, and give some of the kids the opportunity to fill some of the other gaps we have in the first team.

IMO, NESV have done a great job since coming in, they've:

Paid off the debt, saving tens of millions in debt every year

Adopted an attitude of wanting to learn, very endearing

Waited patiently to get rid of Roy when they wanted- they didn't let the fans run the club and dictate when he went

Brought Mrs John Henry to the tv cameras

What could they be criticised for?

I think the thing with CSKA was that Roman wanted his Oil company to sponsor them but it couldn't work due to his interest in Roma.

If they wanted to figure something out to buy both clubs I'm sure they'd find an extremely dodgy way of doing it.

But honestly, I think it's rubbish.

Premier League Football Club Takeovers and Ownership Rules | UK Sports Network - Digital Tech & Sport

Premier League Club Ownership Rules

An important consideration for anyone wishing to buy a PL involves satisfying various PL ownership regulations. In 2004, the PL introduced the fit and proper person test (FPPT). This was to ensure, among other things, that an owner, significant shareholder or a director of a PL club has:

not been found guilty of a number of criminal offences;

no involvement in the day to day running of any other PL or Football League club; or

not been involved with a number of insolvent companies.

Such criminal offences include any dishonesty offence and, for example, ticket touting. A relatively new rule introduced for the 2009/10 season is that if an owner, significant shareholder or director of a PL club is not prohibited from entering the United Kingdom, they will not be able to become involved in a PL club.

An owner, significant shareholder or director of a PL club has to sign a FPPT declaration before they purchase a PL club and then submit a new declaration each season or where a change of circumstances occurs.

The previous ownership of Manchester City illustrates one example of the FPPT in practice. Thaksin Shinawatra, the former Thai Prime Minister, courted controversy in 2007 when he purchased Manchester City. Various human rights groups protested about his human rights record during his time as Thai Prime Minister and stated that he should be barred from owning a PL club.

The Thai government that deposed him in September 2006 initiated a number of investigations into Mr Shinawatra’s affairs. Thai prosecutors froze many of Mr Shinawatra’s domestic assets. One allegation, involving a land purchase by his wife from a government agency resulted in Mr Shinawatra’s wife being found guilty of tax evasion. The result of this meant that as Mr Shinawatra no longer fulfilled the FPPT criteria. Mr Shinawatra had by this stage already sold his stake in Manchester City.

PL Chief executive Richard Scudamore was recently questioned on the application of the FPPT to the ex-Manchester City owner, Mr Shinawatra. Whilst some believed Mr Shinawatra should not have been allowed to buy Manchester City in the first place, Mr Scudamore believed that the FPPT did its job by forcing him to sell his shareholding in Manchester City to Sheikh Mansour, because he realised that he would soon be in breach of the FPPT.

“once his wife was convicted, our rules would define her as an associate of his and… that would have caught him…the fact he sold the club so quickly was because of the application of our rule. He knew that his wife and him were not going to comply [with the FPPT]. So in effect, the ‘Fit and Proper Persons’ test worked. “

The ENIC Case and multiple club ownership

As stated above the FPPT also ensures that no owner, significant shareholder or director of a PL club can have an ownership stake in another PL or Football League club. There are also additional UEFA rules relating to shareholdings in two or more clubs competing in a UEFA sanctioned club competition (i.e. the Champions League or the Europa League). These additional rules, in part, occurred as a result of the ENIC case which is described below.

The case involved one company (ENIC), which had a variety of shareholdings in several clubs competing in UEFA competitions in a single season. In 1998, a case arose because of two clubs that ENIC owned (Slavia Prague and AEK Athens) competing in the same UEFA Cup competition. UEFA had introduced a rule prohibiting one company owning or controlling two or more clubs competing in the same competition. UEFA’s justification was that matches between two commonly owned clubs may be decided in the boardroom rather than the football pitch. This could happen if, for example, in the group stages of a UEFA competition Slavia Prague needed to win a match against AEK Athens, to qualify for the next round. If AEK Athens were not in a position to qualify for the next stage, and then fielded a weaker team (allowing Slavia Prague to win), many may argue that such conduct (by ENIC) would be unsporting and improper.

As a result of this case, additional UEFA regulations were drafted to ensure that the above scenario could not occur. Current UEFA regulations do not prohibit one company owning two clubs in Europe, but do prohibit two clubs that are owned by the same company playing in the same UEFA club competition.

From the above descriptions, it is possible to show the rules and regulations in place, specifically in the PL, that any potential owner, shareholder or director would have to adhere to. It is therefore vitally important that any person wishing to become involved in a PL club is aware of the domestic and international laws in place. For example, a person wishing to buy shares in a PL football club who has already been involved in a number company insolvencies is unlikely to pass the PL FPPT. Should a person buy a PL club but still fail the PL FPPT, the PL has the power to suspend the PL club from the competition. Similarly, UEFA regulations on multiple club ownership are important because if the owner of an Italian team, which qualifies for the Champions League, also owns an English team which also qualifies for the Champions League, UEFA rules prohibit both teams playing in the same competition. Football investors should be wary of investing in more than one European club.

According to this a Owner could effectivly own two clubs but so long as they do not apper in the same competition, which Liverpool and Roma probebly would at some stage.

Although as somebody has pointed out it probebly has nothing to do with NESV. It looks more like a private buy from someone who is linked to NESV.