You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

his celebrations after a pen towards the end of the season put me off him as a person aswell, badge kissing, pointing to his name on his shirt and shouting 'look at me'...dick.

A few years ago when Gerrard belted in a free kick against Pompey he ran towards the Paddock pointing to himself shouting 'I'm the fuckin man' . Who cares how he celebrates are if he is a massive cunt as a person, aslong as he does the business on the pitch.

Sometimes I don't think we deserve success at all. A summer ago the club was in ruins, now we're calling potential signings 'fat bastards' and 'cretins' and 'wastes of money' because they're not some foreign blert we've seen on Eurosport.

It's a disgrace quite frankly. The 'spirit of Shankly' and 'the Liverpool way' be damned eh? I know my football and if you're not what I like then I'll fucking abuse you like a spoiled fucking 12-year-old son of a banker fucking Chelsea fan.

Fuck off.

People who write signings off before they've kicked a ball, never mind abuse them personally, have no business at all joining in the celebrations if and when we win a trophy with those players.

I remember when Houllier had his big summer of signings, Smicer was expected to storm the Premiership and absolutely nothing was expected of Hyypia. Fans very often know nothing about football.

Sometimes I don't think we deserve success at all. A summer ago the club was in ruins, now we're calling potential signings 'fat bastards' and 'cretins' and 'wastes of money' because they're not some foreign blert we've seen on Eurosport.

It's a disgrace quite frankly. The 'spirit of Shankly' and 'the Liverpool way' be damned eh? I know my football and if you're not what I like then I'll fucking abuse you like a spoile fucking 12-year-old son of a banker fucking Chelsea fan.

Fuck off.

People who write signings off before they've kicked a ball, never mind abuse them personally, have no business at all joining in the celebrations if and when we win a trophy with those players.

Spot. fucking. on.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It's a disgrace quite frankly. The 'spirit of Shankly' and 'the Liverpool way' be damned eh? I know my football and if you're not what I like then I'll fucking abuse you like a spoile fucking 12-year-old son of a banker fucking Chelsea fan.

Fuck off.

As somebody who hasn't and doesn't abuse players on a personal basis, I'll only argue against the charge of 'waste of money'. Where does that logic stop? Is it at £40m for Downing and Lennon? Is it £50m for N'Gog? Is it 250m for El Zhar? When can we comment that a potential transfer is a waste of money in our view?

I recognise that we're in a significantly better position than we were, but I never argued for being wasteful with money. All I'm arguing for, and all I've ever argued for, is that we get the quality of player that matches the amount of money we're paying. Okay, there's an argument for spending a few million extra to snatch a top quality player from the hands of our rivals, but that's not what I'm talking about here.

You've got people on RAWK saying that Downing reminds him of John Barnes. You've got people here talking about how Lennon and Downing are worth £40m. £40m!

What's bad about saying you think that's a waste of money? As for not celebrating 'when' they win a trophy, the reason I'm saying that players like Lennon or Downing are not worth the money is because I believe they're not anywhere near the quality that will bring us trophies, certainly not the top two trophies.

As somebody who hasn't and doesn't abuse players on a personal basis, I'll only argue against the charge of 'waste of money'. Where does that logic stop? Is it at £40m for Downing and Lennon? Is it £50m for N'Gog? Is it 250m for El Zhar? When can we comment that a potential transfer is a waste of money in our view?

I recognise that we're in a significantly better position than we were, but I never argued for being wasteful with money. All I'm arguing for, and all I've ever argued for, is that we get the quality of player that matches the amount of money we're paying.

You've got people on RAWK saying that Downing reminds him of John Barnes. You've got people here talking about how Lennon and Downing are worth £40m. £40m!

What's bad about saying you think that's a waste of money? As for not celebrating 'when' they win a trophy, the reason I'm saying that players like Lennon or Downing are not worth the money is because I believe they're not anywhere near the quality that will bring us trophies, certainly not the top two trophies.

Saying it before the window has even opened let alone shut. We could still sign Downing and Adam and then compliment them with the likes of Mata and whoever.

I'd understand if it was the usual £20m net spend summer, but it isn't. This summer can't really be compared to any because this is the first time it looks like we haven't had a set budget.

Not accusing you but people coming out with shite like 'it's the same old shit' and 'it's a downgrade' is just pure shite considering we don't know who we'll have in September.

It's a disgrace quite frankly. The 'spirit of Shankly' and 'the Liverpool way' be damned eh? I know my football and if you're not what I like then I'll fucking abuse you like a spoiled fucking 12-year-old son of a banker fucking Chelsea fan.

Fuck off.

Is. Fucking. Right. I've been following this thread for a while just to see if there's any news on who we are signing and fuck me there's a lot of nobheads on here, abusing people who haven't even kicked a ball for us yet. How many of the people giving Adam shit have actually watched him for more than 2 games that were on sky this year? I'm sure kenny has had the player scouted and knows what he is looking for, I'd rather be in a situation where we are competing for players than last season when we were wondering if we would still have a club.

So we're selling Meireles to replace him with Adam. Kind of makes a mockery of what Kenny said about only bringing high calibre players who are better than what we have. This is a downgrade.

completely different style of player, I like Meireles but I think he plays a more similar role to Stevie or Henderson should Henderson be used in centre mid, we'd require a deep lying playmaker regardless of Meireles staying or not

Saying it before the window has even opened let alone shut. We could still sign Downing and Adam and then compliment them with the likes of Mata and whoever.

I'd understand if it was the usual £20m net spend summer, but it isn't. This summer can't really be compared to any because this is the first time it looks like we haven't had a set budget.

Not accusing you but people coming out with shite like 'it's the same old shit' and 'it's a downgrade' is just pure shite considering we don't know who we'll have in September.

Is right!

If we signed some unknown for a huge price tag, and then he played a big part of winning a trophy, and getting back into Europe... That's value for money isn't it?

Now, if we overpaid by 2m or 3m on EVERY signing... but won the title. That's value for money isn't it?

I fucking hate this kind of post:

freakout.gif

We're fucked unless we sign established world class players NOWW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It's just based on speculation, though. Nobody is getting criticised over singings that haven't happened - least of all Kenny or the owners. I think commenting on the merits of potential or rumoured transfers is pretty acceptable fair in a thread like this, no?

Now, if Dalglish wants to spend 400m on Luke Chadwick's uglier son, then that's what he's going to do, and should be able to do. It's not going to stop me from thinking 'fucking hell, I reckon buying the best football team the world has ever seen might be a better bet'.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Now, if we overpaid by 2m or 3m on EVERY signing... but won the title. That's value for money isn't it?

Absolutely. But when you're of the opinion that you're spending 5-10-15m too much on players that will never be good enough to get you the title, then you're probably not going to be of the same opinion. It's not about paying 21.5m for Mata when you only think he's worth 19m. That's the sort of spending I encourage. It's when you're asked to pay 12m for Adam or 20m for Lennon that you've got to question whether that's the best way to potentially spend money.

As for 'get me established world-class singings now', that's not the sort of thing I'm advocating. I'm wanting to spend money on players that have a really good chance of becoming top players. Like Torres when we signed him, or Alonso, or Agger, or Reina, or Suarez (most of which turned out to be top class players). Young, with a good chance of becoming top players, that's the future of the football club in my opinion. It's the best way to spend money, too.

Fuck off.

I remember when Houllier had his big summer of signings, Smicer was expected to storm the Premiership and absolutely nothing was expected of Hyypia. Fans very often know nothing about football.

I don't agree with the name-calling, but everything else is fair game on a forum.

I think the phrase 'waste of money' is generally a naive one because it's basing every transfer on it's individual and short term approach rather than the team and long term.

Waste of money is only known with hindsight.

For example, if Carroll stays for another 10 seasons. Scores 250 goals and we win around 15 trophies was his fee a waste of money? Then again, we don't know he might be gone next summer and with nothing to show for it.

I think the phrase that could be used at this stage is 'value for money'. The more we pay for Carroll, Downing etc the more we'll have to achieve for make that work out.

The signing of Adam, if it actually happens, has to be seen in context of the whole summer's signings. If we end up signing Adam, Henderson, Downing and no other decent attacking players and Mereiles goes, then I think it's legitimate to ask questions given what had been said in the past about the quality of players that would be signed. However, if Adam's been signed as an option and a bit of squad depth, then, in the context of decent addtions elsewhere, it'll look like a good signing at a reasonable fee IMO.

On the face of it though, personally I believe he has quite a lot to do to prove that he has the class that's required to be a success here, but there's no point kicking and squealing about it on June 26th when the window doesn't close until August 31st or before he has even kicked a ball. Is he better at hitting a corner than anyone we have? Unquestionably. Will he get to hit penalites here? Doubt it. Freekicks? Probably.

Absolutely. But when you're of the opinion that you're spending 5-10-15m too much on players that will never be good enough to get you the title, then you're probably not going to be of the same opinion. It's not about paying 21.5m for Mata when you only think he's worth 19m. That's the sort of spending I encourage. It's when you're asked to pay 12m for Adam or 20m for Lennon that you've got to question whether that's the best way to potentially spend money.

I don't reckon we're spending 10-15m too much on ANY signings. I said 2-3m based on Downing's Villa valuation being about 5m too much.

Henderson? He's definitely worth, at least, 12m. The mancs wanted him bad, and we got him about a season or two earlier than they wanted to get him.

Adam is worth the 10m that we're going to be spending on him, regardless of which club he joins. Villa would have happily given them 10m for Adam.

Downing is worth 15m. Villa got him for 12m, and maybe that was a tad too much, but with the increase of money into the league... He's worth 15m.

Lennon? I have no idea what I'd value him... so I'll give him Downing's value.

Mata? Yeah, I'd value him higher. I'd value him around 24m... maybe we're going to sign him too? Who knows!

It's not like we're buying players like Konchesky for 12m. (Or Aquilani for near 20m)

That said: (Clichy?), Adam, Henderson, (Downing?)... That'd definitely make us stronger, even if we lose Meireles.

Getting stronger is the idea. Getting stronger means that we're challenging a few spots higher up the table, than the previous season.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think the phrase 'waste of money' is generally a naive one because it's basing every transfer on it's individual and short term approach rather than the team and long term.

It's quite the opposite, in my opinion. I'm basing it on what I believe (the only position I can argue from) will happen in the future.

Waste of money is only known with hindsight.

That's absolutely true. I hope you're not willing to give opinions until players retirements?

For example, if Carroll stays for another 10 seasons. Scores 250 goals and we win around 15 trophies was his fee a waste of money? Then again, we don't know he might be gone next summer and with nothing to show for it.

I think the phrase that could be used at this stage is 'value for money'. The more we pay for Carroll, Downing etc the more we'll have to achieve for make that work out.

Both sides of the same coin, isn't it. Thinking somebody will be a waste of money is the same thing has saying that you don't think somebody will be good value for money.

You can only be proven right or wrong in time.

Fuck off.

Round of applause for this man. I guess "The Liverpool Way" has no place in the internet/FM age.

Their maybe something in the Lennon link as well. Dodgy H has said this afternoon that Spurs have to sell a couple of players before he can buy anyone. Totally different reaction to the Modric speculation last week (although that could be just to get more dough for him!)

It's quite the opposite, in my opinion. I'm basing it on what I believe (the only position I can argue from) will happen in the future.

But there is so many differing permutations. Take Downing for example. We have no idea exactly how often the King wants to play him or the role he wants him to play, or even the other players he wants to bring in to make it work.

That's absolutely true. I hope you're not willing to give opinions until players retirements?

Not, at all. But as I said, it's more debating the value rather than the waste of that's the debatable thing for me.

Both sides of the same coin, isn't it. Thinking somebody will be a waste of money is the same thing has saying that you don't think somebody will be good value for money.

You can only be proven right or wrong in time.

Not for me. You can be not the greatest value for money signing but as long as the value of the side/squad is a good one you'll be successful and therefore probably deemed not to be a waste of money.

Their maybe something in the Lennon link as well. Dodgy H has said this afternoon that Spurs have to sell a couple of players before he can buy anyone. Totally different reaction to the Modric speculation last week (although that could be just to get more dough for him!)

One of the posters here is close to someone who is close to Lennon, and he said we've definitely talked to him... and he's keen.