You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Petition to reinstate Rafael Benitez as LFC Manager

He's been on the whole a fucking good manager.

He can be again.

The humane side of it all appears to be taking precedence elsewhere. His agent, a close supportive journalist like Tony Barrett, hopefully Montse as well, are all telling him to have a breather and take stock.

In the rush to debate how beneficial or not Rafa can be for Liverpool FC, these seem to be the only people who are wondering whether Liverpool FC is beneficial to Rafa Benitez.

The yanks seem to have had a quiet word with the press and nipped it all in the bud.

I like the debates (some would say 'relish'!) but the mental image of two stags continually butting each others appears more and more often now.

Let's hope Hodgson is fucked off soon and we get some glimpse into the future NESV plan for us.

And the rain stops in Australia!

He forced Xabi out. He tried to sell him to Fenerbache for £10m the previous summer.

He did sign aqua and babel for a hell of a lot of money, it might not be the reported fees but it was still a waste

Xabi didn't have to leave. I think we turned down 12m bids for Xabi so why would he sell him for 10?

Anyway, i don't want an argument.

See, this is part of the problem. Some of us can remember the days long before Rafa, when we were really rather good. I'm old enough to have actually seen us win league titles ('Division 1' it was called back then). I can vividly remember such seminal moments as the 84 European Cup Final and doing the Shite at Wembley in 86..

I certainly remember the days long before Rafa when we were good, still don’t think anyone would argue that Istanbul wasn’t something special amongst all the previous victories.

Remember as a kid when we won it the first time in 77, remember listening to it on the radio, remember me dad crying, remember our fervent blue next door neighbours getting up during the night and spraypainting EVERTON in big blue letters down the centre of Mahon Avenue in Bootle.

Even as a kid remember the Moenchengladbach game, later the games against Bruges, Madrid and Roma, Heysel watched on telly carrying on through to the merseyside derbies at Wembley through to the hardest time in our history with Hillsborough.

I suspect a lot of the 'Rafa Internet Cult' were just coming of age when we won in Istanbul and will forever associate Rafa with the feelings of euphoria we all felt after that amazing night. However older and (possibly) wiser heads realise that as the years went on Rafa took his eye off the real objective and became embroiled (whether through choice or circumstance) in matters that really didn't concern him. In the end he had to go; the timing may, or may not, have been ideal and certainly his replacement was less than satisfactory, but the end was inevitable.

Going forward through the years, I am older but obviously not a ‘wiser head’, as you put it, sorry mate but that was one conceited statement on your part. Will carry on nonetheless, Benitez was faced with the most difficult situation, he was completely hamstrung by Hicks, Gillette and later on Purslow, Benitez couldn’t buy without selling, the accounts I believe proved that, it was a juggling operation the sort not many of our previous managers have had - how could he not take his eye off the ‘real objective’ under the circumstances.

But nonetheless the last year under his tenure was another false dawn for us, the team the previous year had probably over - performed, we also lost Alonso and were not strong enough to cope with the subsequent injuries the year brought, players like Aquilini didn’t perform, the media constantly attacked Benitez, the support started believing the media.

My opinion is Benitez should never have been sacked, not unless someone with better credentials had been available, we ended up with Hodgson who wasn’t in the same class.

Rafa returning would be a backward and divisive step. We need a young(ish) hungry manager to take us forward - who that might be remains to be seen. It would deffo be better for us all if we turned our attentions towards that issue instead of constantly bickering about a ship that sailed long ago.

You say with regard to Rafa returning - would be a backward step and we need someone younger but you don’t know who? Also the ship you talk about that sailed long ago didn’t sail away, it was fatally holed and sunk by the media, Purslow and people probably like yourself, now you want to forget all about that fuck up and still cruise ahead having put us years back.

Wise old head…….?

Guest The Chimp
He's been on the whole a fucking good manager.

He can be again.

The humane side of it all appears to be taking precedence elsewhere. His agent, a close supportive journalist like Tony Barrett, hopefully Montse as well, are all telling him to have a breather and take stock.

In the rush to debate how beneficial or not Rafa can be for Liverpool FC, these seem to be the only people who are wondering whether Liverpool FC is beneficial to Rafa Benitez.

The yanks seem to have had a quiet word with the press and nipped it all in the bud.

I like the debates (some would say 'relish'!) but the mental image of two stags continually butting each others appears more and more often now.

Let's hope Hodgson is fucked off soon and we get some glimpse into the future NESV plan for us.

And the rain stops in Australia!

Amen to all of that Ste - and the bit in bold especially! Seasons greetings to all from a very wet Gold Coast.

Are you implying Rafa did?

If so, get to fuck..

Only going on what I read etc, it seemed to me he did, may be wrong, then again you may be a superstar in the know person, if so just post your facts, I'll apologise to you, will go away, then will do me best to fuck meself.

I'm just surprised that so many fans want him back. Sure, he loved the club and the city, but I was almost hoping Liverpool would lose games at the end of his reign to see him leave ASAP.

We'd be like Newcastle with Keegan if we took him back.

We're that badly stuck that we need Rafa back, with all his Zonal marking, boring football shit again?

Count me out. Keep Hodgson in place until the end of the season and get the right man over the summer.

The season is already fucked as it is.

I don't give a fuck whether he pays any attention to me or not, but he will have shot himself in the foot big time with this pathetic stunt. Most of the people who are actually old enough to remember Mönchengladbach, never mind those of us that were there, won't be thinking very highly of this either.

Stringy, yer appear to be a good lad, and I enjoy reading yer posts - even if I don't agree with all of them, but yer can be a proper patronising cunt at times. Graham is doing what he thinks is the best for the club, he has been involved in setting up a fucking cool brotherhood type gig with der germanz, don't pull the auld I've been to more matches than you shit to have a pop. My auld man went to the game in the 70's, he was taking me from '79 or so, but I fucking lose him when were talking footy. It's not about how old you are or where you are from - the philosophy can be changed by anyone who develops a system which is going to make liverpool fc better.

He forced Xabi out. He tried to sell him to Fenerbache for £10m the previous summer.

Benitez's could have licked Alonso's arse on the Town hall steps and begged him to stay, his mind was made up once Madrid came calling, he was always going to return home.

12 months earlier it would be true to say that Benitez unsettled Xabi during the Barrygate saga,so lets peddling the myth that Alonso was forced screaming and kicking to Madrid.

It was a good deal for Xabi and a good deal for Liverpool who 12 months earlier where struggling to get £15m for Alonso and a season on doubled that figure.

Lets put this to bed once and for all,Benitez's NEVER forced Alonso out of the Club.

Keep Hodgson in place until the end of the season and get the right man over the summer.

The season is already fucked as it is.

Why keep someone in the job when the seasons already fucked?

Surely it would make sense to bring someone in to let them have the rest of the season to sort out the mess instead of doing it next season, fucking another one up in the process.

Yeah, and what about that Torres for 21m, he was a bag of shit he was.
Well if we're going on current form.

Why keep someone in the job when the seasons already fucked?

Surely it would make sense to bring someone in to let them have the rest of the season to sort out the mess instead of doing it next season, fucking another one up in the process.

If only we'd have taken this stance last season.

Stringy, yer appear to be a good lad, and I enjoy reading yer posts - even if I don't agree with all of them, but yer can be a proper patronising cunt at times. Graham is doing what he thinks is the best for the club, he has been involved in setting up a fucking cool brotherhood type gig with der germanz, don't pull the auld I've been to more matches than you shit to have a pop. My auld man went to the game in the 70's, he was taking me from '79 or so, but I fucking lose him when were talking footy. It's not about how old you are or where you are from - the philosophy can be changed by anyone who develops a system which is going to make liverpool fc better.

Good post.

I think that while we still had a chance of getting CL football' date=' we'd have thrown the shackles off and gone for it. I'm convinced we'd have finished higher than 7th. OK, we might not have got in the top four but we;d have gone down fighting.[/quote']

With who at the helm? I personally think the state the club was in last year (off the pitch as well), we'd have struggled, as proven by this years mega shit fest. Now with all the other shit in the past, we really have got a chance to move on, as long as we make the right appointment. Unfortunately I think this season is a bit of a write off already.

With who at the helm? I personally think the state the club was in last year (off the pitch as well), we'd have struggled, as proven by this years mega shit fest. Now with all the other shit in the past, we really have got a chance to move on, as long as we make the right appointment. Unfortunately I think this season is a bit of a write off already.

You just have to look at the collapse of Chelsea due to just sacking a popular coach to know the affect backroom issues have on a team.

I said plenty of times last season I'd have taken Carra with Kenny working alongside him. Or maybe even Phil Tommo and Kenny. OK you might not have agreed with me but we should have sacked Rafa after being knocked out the cup by Reading. While we were never going to win the league, at this stage last season, the chances of CL qualification was still in our own hands. Unfortunately that's a luxury we don't have this time around.

While we're still in the UEFA and FA cups, I still think we can salvage something from this season but on the whole, I agree with the rest of your post.

You'd have put a completely inexperienced 31 year old player into the managers seat at a club completely fucked in the background with board infighting, a threat of backruptcy, and one that appears in the papers all the time? Look at how the extra press have turned our current manager into a man who can't but say they wrong thing again and again.

It's mad enough in my opinion to give a totally inexperienced player such a big job when things are good, never mind in that total mess we were in.

I love Carra and hope when he gets a good few years experience at some other clubs and proves he can be a good manager that maybe he will show to be in that top 0.01% of managers capable of taking us on. But wanting him now rose tinted madness.

We laughed at Newcaslte fans wanting Shearer. This is no different whether you like it or not. There is nothing whatsoever to say Carra would be any good or awful. But to take such a risk in our position is mad.

You'd have put a completely inexperienced 31 year old player into the managers seat at a club completely fucked in the background with board infighting, a threat of backruptcy, and one that appears in the papers all the time? Look at how the extra press have turned our current manager into a man who can't but say they wrong thing again and again.

It's mad enough in my opinion to give a totally inexperienced player such a big job when things are good, never mind in that total mess we were in.

I love Carra and hope when he gets a good few years experience at some other clubs and proves he can be a good manager that maybe he will show to be in that top 0.01% of managers capable of taking us on. But wanting him now rose tinted madness.

We laughed at Newcaslte fans wanting Shearer. This is no different whether you like it or not. There is nothing whatsoever to say Carra would be any good or awful. But to take such a risk in our position is mad.

Thank fuck we never took a chance on Kenny all those years ago eh.