You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I mentioned in the MOTM thread about how we played a higher line than has been the norm this season. Out of all our central defenders, Carragher is the one who's natural inclination is to defend from deep, so by having him at full-back he had to play higher up the pitch as his role was to supplement the midfield out wide when we had possession. The other factor was that Poulsen wasn't playing, and he's another who sits practically on top of his defence, and lacks mobility or the ability to do anything constructive with the ball. Importantly, the higher line meant that our attacking players spent more time in areas where they can hurt the opposition. If Roy really wants to stay on, he'd do well to remember that THAT is a better defensive base to work from. It's more conducive to getting a positive result. Being pro-active means that you put less emphasis on "hope".

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he naturally tried to have the team regress at all. N'gog for Cole hardly screams "get back". I think the team's mentality took over at that point a bit and he was trying to get them to do the opposite.

N'Gog for Cole was to give us an aerial presence up top so we could play long-ball for the last twenty minutes. Despite the forward-for-midfielder positive change it looks like on paper, it was a totally negative move.

You must be aware that this is a provocative and ludicrous thread. He gave us the sort of decent seventy minutes against a shit team that would have been received positively if it was one of our first five games. Not only does it not absolve Hodgson of the abysmal football we've played up until now, but it puts to rest the idea that he was just left with a squad of shocking players. It's obvious they've been capable all along with the right tactics.

You'd have been better of making your points after we'd won four or five on the bounce, sadly.

Exceeding Expectations? Hardly. Unless you're giving him credit for sending them crashing through the floor in the first place?

We played decent football today. And hung on desperately for the win. Against an uncharacteristically gutless Blackburn.

Glad we got the 3 points. Perhaps we'll look back at this famous victory against Blackburn as the point where things changed for the better. But in the here and now, we're 18th...and that hasn't exceeded any expectation of mine at all.

At what point where we hanging on from Blackburn's two shots on target? We could have had 4 or 5 easily but sometimes it doesn't go that way. The point is we created chances, played with passion, pressed the ball and looked to take the game to the oppo. Any manager that does that has my support!

At what point where we hanging on from Blackburn's two shots on target? We could have had 4 or 5 easily but sometimes it doesn't go that way. The point is we created chances, played with passion, pressed the ball and looked to take the game to the oppo. Any manager that does that has my support!

Did Rafa have your support?

3 points up to 7th place now, of course, and suddenly everything looks much brighter! Thought we played excellent at times, with Maxi who was outstanding today. Also like to see Shelvey getting his debut.

Let's enjoy this week, and now look forward to Bolton away.

N'Gog for Cole was to give us an aerial presence up top so we could play long-ball for the last twenty minutes. Despite the forward-for-midfielder positive change it looks like on paper, it was a totally negative move.

You must be aware that this is a provocative and ludicrous thread. He gave us the sort of decent seventy minutes against a shit team that would have been received positively if it was one of our first five games. Not only does it not absolve Hodgson of the abysmal football we've played up until now, but it puts to rest the idea that he was just left with a squad of shocking players. It's obvious they've been capable all along with the right tactics.

You'd have been better of making your points after we'd won four or five on the bounce, sadly.

We didn't play long ball for the last 20 minutes though and bringing on a striker for a midfielder is never a negative move, especially when he happens to be your top scorer.

Our squad isn't good enough and that's down to Rafa more than Roy but the former owners more than both.

I don't need to wait 4 or 5 on the bounce to congratulate Roy on overcoming the first hurdle, stubornness.

Your positive approach is admirable. It really is.

But others will see it as blind optimism. I see you as having the footballing equivalent of beer goggles on tho - there is something nice about what you've seen but your far too generous in your praise and the rest of us who are sober, can see that its not nearly as good as your making out, and we can do much, much better.

Your positive approach is admirable. It really is.

But others will see it as blind optimism. I see you as having the footballing equivalent of beer goggles on tho - there is something nice about what you've seen but your far too generous in your praise and the rest of us who are sober, can see that its not nearly as good as your making out, and we can do much, much better.

Of course we can do better, but it has to start somewhere.

Precisely. Today was what I expected from him when he took the job. He didn't seem scared today to let the lads play and I can't help but get behind that.

Its not what I expected of him. Its what I would expect these particular players to do if they weren't being nagged to play deep and long. Quite why we did a 180' and started pressing, why the wingers played as attackers and not defenders, why the defence pushed up 10/20 yards I don't know. It was the antithesis of Hodgson. Maybe he got desperate and let them off the leash, took off the shackles if you will. If he did then kudos. He may keep his job a little while longer.

I don't think he naturally tried to have the team regress at all. N'gog for Cole hardly screams "get back". I think the team's mentality took over at that point a bit and he was trying to get them to do the opposite.

The key today was that the balance between Lucas and Mierles was good and Gerrard was dangerous in the free role. With a single sub he broke all of that. He took off the one attacking player who was poor and then moved all of the other attackers around into positions in which they are less effective. Mierles as holding winger, a nouse-less Gerrard in CM, two strikers who both want to lead the line, Maxi who was good today becomes impotent on the left AGAIN etc.

So either he tried to make them regress or he is just REALLY stupid.

Of course we can do better, but it has to start somewhere.

Indeed. And that somewhere your talking about, for me, is when our manager goes against a team away from home and tries to get something other than a 0-0 draw.

The next game is when i will form another judgement.

Gerrard, Maxi, Lucas, Meireles, Skrtel, Reina & Kyrgiakos excellent today.

The only negative point is that Carragher again has proved himself to be a liability and nearly cost us the game, so much for his 'experience' over Kelly.

If we play the same against Bolton away and pick up 3 points, then Roy's future could look a little brighter, but if he doesn't he'll still have to go for me, because our home record was fine before he got here, it was the away record that was poor.

PS - Martin Broughton, what a man.

I enjoyed watching Liverpool play for the first time this season.

One in nine but a real start hopefully, its the first time in 9 PL games we have been the best team and deserved to win.

We played some good football and it would be nice to think we would play our next game with the same tactics and attitude.

its light years better than anything else this season

First 70 minutes was excellent.

Is fucking right!!! It feels fucking great to get home from the match after seeing a win and a good performance. That was much more like it and certainly far more like what I expect (and expected, to be fair) as a bare minimum from Roy's Liverpool.

To be honest the scoreline is a complete rip off because we could have been four up quite easily at half time. Blackburn were absolute dog shite - I mean really poor - but the story of the match for me is the dramatically improved football from us. There was a five/ten minute spell after we went back to 2-1 when we played some lovely stuff with great possession, movement, width (width!!!) and no little aggression.

However, the fragility of our confidence was soon obvious as we suddenly dropped deep and seemed unable to put a foot in in direct contrast to what had preceded that excellent little spell. Dave suggested to me afterwards that it's been a recurring theme that we drop like that in the final quarter of matches and he reckons it's actually a fitness thing - especially as they'd worked so hard in closing Blackburn down prior to that. In a way I hope so, as fitness is far more readily rectified than poor tactics.

By the final whistle, we were shamelessly keeping the ball by the corner flag and a few people by me were shouting for us to put it in the box. Fuck that, though. Desperate for a win, a goal up at home with seconds left and we should risk a late equaliser? No fucking chance.

All in all, there was a huge amount to be pleased about for me. The back four looks our best available, even if Skrtel and Konchesky looked a bit shaky late on; certainly Carra did brilliantly at right back for a 33 year old centre half who admits he hasn't got the legs for it anymore and The Greek was great - a really honest player who maximises his strengths (ie, his aerial ability and physique) and minimises his weaknesses by not doing anything daft or over-committing himself. He was a constant threat from our 37,000 corners, got a well deserved goal and should have had two nailed-on penalties.

Further up the pitch, I thought Maxi led the charge in terms of closing down and using the ball well, Cole had some nice touches and the central three all did well (or at least up until the last 20 minutes when Lucas dragged everyone ever-deeper). As for Torres, he looked much more up for it, even if he is still lacking that explosive burst of pace that is the foundation of his most devastating football. He was mobbed by his team-mates after he scored though, so it's obvious he's been feeling the pressure (as, no doubt, they all have).

In short, I'm fucking delighted. Let's hope we can now kick on from here because there are a lot of tough matches to come. However, there is also a lot to build on after today. The squad remains painfully thin and distinctly lacking in balance, but at least we were much less hampered by suicidal tactics today than of late. The key for the run to the transfer window is not exactly rocket science, in my view; pick a settled side, get them to play an aggressive, pressing game as high up the pitch as possible and watch us climb that table.

Once January arrives, significant additions and further departures are crucial, but we can do a lot better than we have thus far by simply getting the right tactical approach. To be fair to Roy (who, unlike most Reds, I still like and respect), that's exactly what he did today. Three more points is crucial next week, but certainly highly achievable if we see the same again, albeit fuelled by renewed confidence.

Come on you Reds!!!

Edited by Paul

I enjoyed watching Liverpool play for the first time this season.

One in nine but a real start hopefully, its the first time in 9 PL games we have been the best team and deserved to win.

We played some good football and it would be nice to think we would play our next game with the same tactics and attitude.

its light years better than anything else this season

First 70 minutes was excellent.

Fair fucking play Nick and well said. You've been one of Roy's most vocal and early critics, but I admire the way you've given credit where it's due and resisted using some churlish throw away line about how he's still shit like half of the forum seems to have done. If I hadn't negged you for being a drama queen this morning, you'd now have a rep for that post. Nice one, mate.

I dont care if Roy changed his tactics, I dont care if he is worried about losing his job, and just let the team play how they wanted, today was all about playing as a team, and showing that they can do it, and they did.

Great result, and a great display given what we have had to witness of late, thank fuck.

No complaints, no digs, no shite comments, that is what we should have been doing from day one.

3 points, and a bit of confidence, onwards and upwards.

MOTM The Greek, I gave up trying to spell his name ages ago :)

Fair fucking play Nick and well said. You've been one of Roy's most vocal and early critics, but I admire the way you've given credit where it's due and resisted using some churlish throw away line about how he's still shit like half of the forum seems to have done. If I hadn't negged you for being a drama queen this morning, you'd now have a rep for that post. Nice one, mate.

As a LFC fan all I want is what is best for the club and to enjoy watching my football today this happened.

Is fucking right!!! It feels fucking great to get home from the match after seeing a win and a good performance. That was much more like it and certainly far more like what I expect (and expected, to be fair) as a bare minimum from Roy's Liverpool.

To be honest the scoreline is a complete rip off because we could have been four up quite easily at half time. Blackburn were absolute dog shite - I mean really poor - but the story of the match for me is the dramatically improved football from us. There was a five/ten minute spell after we went back to 2-1 when we played some lovely stuff with great possession, movement, width (width!!!) and no little aggression.

However, the fragility of our confidence was soon obvious as we suddenly dropped deep and seemed unable to put a foot in in direct contrast to what had preceded that excellent little spell. Dave suggested to me afterwards that it's been a recurring theme that we drop like that in the final quarter of matches and he reckons it's actually a fitness thing - especially as they'd worked so hard in closing Blackburn down prior to that. In a way I hope so, as fitness is far more readily rectified than poor tactics.

By the final whistle, we were shamelessly keeping the ball by the corner flag and a few people by me were shouting for us to put it in the box. Fuck that, though. Desperate for a win, a goal up at home with seconds left and we should risk a late equaliser? No fucking chance.

All in all, there was a huge amount to be pleased about for me. The back four looks our best available, even if Skrtel and Konchesky looked a bit shaky late on; certainly Carra did brilliantly at right back for a 33 year old centre half who admits he hasn't got the legs for it anymore and The Greek was great - a really honest player who maximises his strengths (ie, his aerial ability and physique) and minimises his weaknesses by not doing anything daft or over-committing himself. He was a constant threat from our 37,000 corners, got a well deserved goal and should have had two nailed-on penalties.

Further up the pitch, I thought Maxi led the charge in terms of closing down and using the ball well, Cole had some nice touches and the central three all did well (or at least up until the last 20 minutes when Lucas dragged everyone ever-deeper). As for Torres, he looked much more up for it, even if he is still lacking that explosive burst of pace that is the foundation of his most devastating football. He was mobbed by his team-mates after he scored though, so it's obvious he's been feeling the pressure (as, no doubt, they all have).

In short, I'm fucking delighted. Let's hope we can now kick on from here because there are a lot of tough matches to come. However, there is also a lot to build on after today. The squad remains painfully thin and distinctly lacking in balance, but at least we were much less hampered by suicidal tactics today than of late. The key for the run to the transfer window is not exactly rocket science, in my view; pick a settled side, get them to play an aggressive, pressing game as high up the pitch as possible and watch us climb that table.

Once January arrives, significant additions and further departures are crucial, but we can do a lot better than we have thus far by simply getting the right tactical approach. To be fair to Roy (who, unlike most Reds, I still like and respect), that's exactly what he did today. Three more points is crucial next week, but certainly highly achievable if we see the same again, albeit fuelled by renewed confidence.

Come on you Reds!!!

My thoughts exactly.Well summed up.

Onwards and upwards

Well said paul! Some of the negativity on here is ridiculous. Yes we have been awful so far this season up until now but today was encouraging. It would be daft to say that because of today everything is now rosy but it's a start and HOPEFULLY we will keep improving from here on in. I wonder whether Hodgson's way of doing things is starting to sink in with the players because today and thursday (to a lesser extent) have been so much better than what has gone before. I seem to remember hearing that Bayern Munich had a bad start when Van Gaal took over until a couple of months in when the players got used to the coaches' tactics and suddenly they clicked. I am hoping that might be happening here as a similar pattern occurred when Hodgson took over at Fulham. To put my cards on the table I wasn't very happy when Hodgson took over and have been extremely unimpressed so far, with both the performances and a lot of what he has had to say for himself, but I hadn't got to the knee jerk stage of wanting him sacked already. Today was a glimmer of hope and if this is a major turning point I will be very happy. Not counting chickens before they hatch though, time will tell!

As for the suggestions that he deliberately had us sitting back late on, that wasnt how I saw it. Blackburn improved when they brought that Hoillett (however you spell it!) on and changed their shape and I think that's why Hodgson brought on Ngog (would prefer Babel every time or even the lesser spotted Pacheco!) to change our shape and try and counteract what they did. Think it was the wrong decision though and didn't work. Also, why the fuck did he take off Joe Cole instead of Maxi again!? Maxi had one of his better games but he is still shite! for me the team at the moment should be, when possible: Reina, Carra, Soto, Skrtel or Agger, Aurelio, Babel or Johnson (down the right) Gerrard, Mereilles, Jovanovic or Pacheco (down the left), Cole, Torres. Possibly with Kuyt in down the right when he is fit. Obviously that would change in January when we, hopefully bring in some good players in January, in particular for the wide midfield areas and right back. Also Spearing, and maybe Shelvey, should play ahead of Lucas and Poulsen, because from what I have seen they are superior players, paticularly Spearing playing in a similar role to the other 2. And the likes of Maxi, Ngog, Poulsen and, to a lesser extent, Lucas, should be kept out of the team if at all possible. Also I wouldn't have Johnson playing right back anymore and I would get rid unless he impresses in right midfield. would rather have Kelly or Darby there ahead of him. Anyway better stop waffling now!!

I really enjoyed watching us today for most of the game. Some of the football was a joy to watch and if it hadn't been for Robinson we'd have won the game comfortably.

I thought the central three of Lucas, Meireles and Gerrard were really impressive, especially Lucas who had a brilliant game. Torres looked a lot sharper as well which is good to see.

The whole team played well though and all worked their bollocks off for each other to win the ball back and then move into space when we had the ball.

Long may it continue.