You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anfield or New Anfield

Cherry Ghost

Surely 60,000 isn't enough considering that we have at least 35,000 on the waiting list?

If every single one of those people were offered a season ticket today I’d be surprised if even a third of them took up the option.

How many homes games a season do we actually fully sell out? 10? 12 at a push? I think if we had a 70k seater stadium then for a lot of games it would look almost half empty. We’ve a huge international fan base, but outside of the “big” games, our match going fans don’t fill the stadium.

Maybe with a larger stadium and reduced ticket prices that would entice more to come, but at the moment I just don’t see us needing a 70k stadium.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If every single one of those people were offered a season ticket today I’d be surprised if even a third of them took up the option.

How many homes games a season do we actually fully sell out? 10? 12 at a push? I think if we had a 70k seater stadium then for a lot of games it would look almost half empty. We’ve a huge international fan base, but outside of the “big” games, our match going fans don’t fill the stadium.

Maybe with a larger stadium and reduced ticket prices that would entice more to come, but at the moment I just don’t see us needing a 70k stadium.

10 or 12? Are you sure? I thought we sold out for all of them with the new scheme, which was practically a half season ticket anyway? The point about not knowing who out of the 35,000 go to the game anyway is a good one but the way they sell tickets now probably allows them to get that data?

Put this in the MF thread but will post here.

When people talk of a redevelopment I've seen people say there is a large amount of available land behind the Kop.

Enough to rebuild a massive single tier stand whilst accomodating amenities outside?

I know the Kop is a relatively new stand but I'd be happy for it to be knocked down and rebuilt with a fucking massive replacement.

My fear is a Kop dwarfed by the side stands and those in the upper teirs looking down on its roof.

The waiting list comprised some 70,000 names. Over a twenty years period that undoubtedly comprised many duplications, people who had died, people who who have moved away and people who now suppot Chelsea or Man City.

The initial trawl that was completed was of the first 25k. Subsequent to that no public commitment has been enereted into to finish the exercise.

But here's the interesting bit. Surf all the LFC fan sites and there has actually been very little movement in positions on the waiting list - and that is for the first 25k only. Anecdotally, it appears that the list was considerably more robust than some thought.

Why hasn't it been bottomed out? Your guess is as good as mine. My suspicion is that FSG have no intention of funding either a new stadium, or substantially redeveloped Anfield. A modestly extended Anfield swallows up 5000 extra premium seats and only 5000 extra ordinary seats to deliver a 54,500 capacity. there is no need to "work" the list.

If a new stadium was a live option, they would be looking to squeeze Bond options and long term season ticket sales to help to finance the project.

Housing Boost For Liverpool : UK Construction News

Housing Boost For Liverpool

Liverpool has been awarded £13 million of government funding to deliver housing regeneration in the city.

The funding forms the lion's share of £16.5m awarded to the City Region.

The money from the Empty Homes Fund will be used to drive forward improvements in a key area of L4 affected by the ending of the Housing Market Renewal Initiative (HMRI), which will be renamed Anfield Village. The award also extends to the Rockfield area, both immediately adjacent to Anfield stadium.

The council plans to start a programme of work with the Homes and Communities Agency and Arena Housing Association to refurbish properties in the area and create a revitalised community where people want to live.

It will bring together the former phases 6 and 7 of the Anfield Breckfield HMRI Area into one major project. The area contains more than 600 properties and falls within the boundary of Back Rockfield Road, Walton Breck Road, Sleepers Hill and Saker Street. The Rockfield area contains 250 properties, mainly Victorian terraces, with a diverse mix of ownerships with around half are empty at this time.

Liverpool City Council, working with partners, plans to refurbish as many properties as possible, but some will have to be demolished, as part of the overall strategy to regenerate the area and drive up the quality of housing.

Newly-elected Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, said: "This is fantastic news for residents and is a major step forward for our housing plans for north Liverpool and will help deliver our pledge of 5,000 homes over the next four years.

"For far too long, the people living in the area have been living in limbo - in some cases surrounded by blight and dereliction and all the associated problems that brings . Now we are able to give them certainty about the future and deliver new and refurbished homes for the community."

Put this in the MF thread but will post here.

When people talk of a redevelopment I've seen people say there is a large amount of available land behind the Kop.

Enough to rebuild a massive single tier stand whilst accomodating amenities outside?

I know the Kop is a relatively new stand but I'd be happy for it to be knocked down and rebuilt with a fucking massive replacement.

My fear is a Kop dwarfed by the side stands and those in the upper teirs looking down on its roof.

There is no available land behind the kop.

It does make sense to knock the Main Stand down first as it is doing to take time to redevelop. I think the argument is that we would be taking on a £400m debt for an extra 15 thousand seats, potentially 20 thousand but I doubt very much that we have 20 thousand extra supporters.

I would like to know what they are expecting to add with the new stand? If it can add an extra 10 thousand, in the first instance that would mean 55,000 capacity until we can add another 5-10 thousand with the development of the Anfield road.

Would it not be easier to knock the Anfield Road end down and rebuild that up to add the extra 10 thousdand, or is that not possible?

I'd rather we stayed, and if possible developed the ground. I don't like the idea of a new stadium that 'needs to pay for itself' as that tends to mean we pay more for the privilage.

It does make sense to knock the Main Stand down first as it is doing to take time to redevelop. I think the argument is that we would be taking on a £400m debt for an extra 15 thousand seats, potentially 20 thousand but I doubt very much that we have 20 thousand extra supporters.

I would like to know what they are expecting to add with the new stand? If it can add an extra 10 thousand, in the first instance that would mean 55,000 capacity until we can add another 5-10 thousand with the development of the Anfield road.

Would it not be easier to knock the Anfield Road end down and rebuild that up to add the extra 10 thousdand, or is that not possible?

I'd rather we stayed, and if possible developed the ground. I don't like the idea of a new stadium that 'needs to pay for itself' as that tends to mean we pay more for the privilage.

If the new ARE was the equal biggest end box stand in the league it would add only 4,500 seats.

A new Main Stand which offered an additional 10,000 seats would be about the same size as Man U's North Stand - and I cannot see the land for a stand that size being secured, nor planning for a stand of that height being granted.

It looks like they're stopping-up Anfield Road at the moment (they've demolished nearly all the houses behind and there's massive builder's compound there). Road closures take between 9-18 months to ratify and it seems this work is well underway.

If they're going to max out the development potential, I can see them keeping the bottom tier of the ARE & Main and adding a double-stacked bank of corp lounges with a new tier (with radiussed corner seating) on top. 55K sounds realistic (including the lounges).

An application to close the AR would require a formal application and TIA (Traffic impact assessment) which would all be made in public. That hasn't happened yet.

No modern stand since the North Stand at Villa Park has featured a double stack of boxes/lounges. It is an expensive way to provide boxes. (The North Stand is higher than the current ARE, but provides 3,500 seats less , at £45 a seat, thats £165k worth of revenue a game).

PLEASE let it be the Main Stand.

My seats are in the Paddock (although I've sat as often or more often in the Lower Centenary over the last 2 seaons) and it's just dire.

Only 2 entrance/exits in the Paddock, Restricted views behind us beyond the Paddock, Crap catering facilities, & a 'Match Day Experience' more akin to Woodison & the Bullens.

Guest ShoePiss
Cheers Mick.

Someone on here, possibly Anubis (apologies if I'm wrong), said there was plenty of land available behind the Kop.

I'm still not happy about the idea of the Kop being dwarfed by other stands.

I don't understand why anyone who's been to Anfield would say there's space available behind the kop.

Well, you could knock down the church, pub and re-route breck road but that's about as likely as us moving to a new stadium in 2015.

Guest San Don
An application to close the AR would require a formal application and TIA (Traffic impact assessment) which would all be made in public. That hasn't happened yet.

No modern stand since the North Stand at Villa Park has featured a double stack of boxes/lounges. It is an expensive way to provide boxes. (The North Stand is higher than the current ARE, but provides 3,500 seats less , at £45 a seat, thats £165k worth of revenue a game).

Well seeing as the club hasnt specifically stated its intention to redevelop, they wouldnt make an application to close the road would they?

I dont know why you keep banging on about double decked boxes. It is a perfectly sensible solution. And I thought Spurs' main stand was built after the North Stand at VP and that is not only double decked boxes but built on a curve to improve sight lines.

Why not build over the road so its a tunnel for cars and pedestrians?

I'd expect them to do this (if they have any sense!) starting from the current laughably named 'food village' site and build forward. This way, they could considerably increase the capacity of the Anny Road and have minimum impact on loss of seats until they join the existing lower tier to the new build.

Cheers Mick.

Someone on here, possibly Anubis (apologies if I'm wrong), said there was plenty of land available behind the Kop.

I'm still not happy about the idea of the Kop being dwarfed by other stands.

Dont understand this one bit. We cant increase the capacity of the ground to 60k or above without the Kop loosing this status. You may as well say you dont want the capacity to raise about 50k if your position is one of the Kop remaining the biggest capacity stand.

Guest ShoePiss

You know you can buy a club season ticket right now for the centenary or main stand, only £5k. How many more do we need if I can buy loads of them right now? The demand doesn't seem to be there.

Lower end premium seats, basically a normal seat and tea and coffee might work at £1000/season ticket but all of this corporate/club level stuff just isn't going to work for our fan base and catchment area.

I don't reckon that it is possible to increase the capacity of Anfield above 55000, and then I doubt it would be possible to get the required planning permission. The Anfield site now is hemmed in by roads on all four sides, so in order to increase capacity it would mean permanently blocking Anfield road, which wouldn't be allowed. You will also find that you could not extend the main stand and the Centenary as the space is limited by the streets behind which would mean that you cannot safely extend the stands.

whats this about them putting a fucking screen up. in the corner of centenery/annie rd ive heard? I hate them things. get cunts watching them incase they appear on it etc.

regarding the residents, just offer them the market value of the house and 500k each !

What the fuck?!?!?

Guest San Don
I don't reckon that it is possible to increase the capacity of Anfield above 55000, and then I doubt it would be possible to get the required planning permission. The Anfield site now is hemmed in by roads on all four sides, so in order to increase capacity it would mean permanently blocking Anfield road, which wouldn't be allowed. You will also find that you could not extend the main stand and the Centenary as the space is limited by the streets behind which would mean that you cannot safely extend the stands.

The club could build an Anny Road extension on the food village site and build over the road with consent. There's no need to close Anny road except during part of the build stage.

The plan for the Main Stand provides for at least one side of Lothar Street to be demolished, possibly both sides.

The Centenary could be extended by a few more rows but the returns on this versus the money spent raising the roof and sticking in another 5 to 10 rows would be marginal.

Major engineering work on the Kop roof would be required to add seats where the current stand cuts in on the way to the very top. Again, the returns are minmal but it can be done.

You know you can buy a club season ticket right now for the centenary or main stand, only £5k. How many more do we need if I can buy loads of them right now? The demand doesn't seem to be there.

Lower end premium seats, basically a normal seat and tea and coffee might work at £1000/season ticket but all of this corporate/club level stuff just isn't going to work for our fan base and catchment area.

It'll only work if we get back into the champions league in my opinion. There's no glamour about Liverpool at the moment. Battling mid table clubs and competing in the Europa simply while occasionally winning a domestic cup will really not attract the big spending business people to our club.

I don't think its about the area or the city the club is in personally.

The club could build an Anny Road extension on the food village site and build over the road with consent. There's no need to close Anny road except during part of the build stage.

The plan for the Main Stand provides for at least one side of Lothar Street to be demolished, possibly both sides.

The Centenary could be extended by a few more rows but the returns on this versus the money spent raising the roof and sticking in another 5 to 10 rows would be marginal.

Major engineering work on the Kop roof would be required to add seats where the current stand cuts in on the way to the very top. Again, the returns are minmal but it can be done.

So you would have to re-route Anfield road? As for the rest would it result in a stadium that has optimal viewing for everyone in the stand, or are some people going to be miles away from the pitch. Also the kop will be like the centenary where for an extra couple of rows the added cost will be far too much to justify.

I reckon we will build a new 65k stadium in the park.