You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anfield or New Anfield

Cherry Ghost

Now I know I got told off for starting a new thread the other week but what the hell. New ground or refurbished stadium. Big issue because it looks like its back on the agenda big style, all sorts of things to consider, atmosphere, capacity, revenue, disruption, tradition, anfield area, bits that need knocking down. Lot to consider but I think it's time start having a view because from what I see the potential owners might just listen.

My view is that its a balance between revenue and atmosphere, is it possible to create an atmosphere that only Anfield has produced in a 60/70k stadium and if we had one would we be able to fill it with the way the world is going. I know Arsenal can fill the Emirates but that's London with 7m people to pull in. Anfield road and the main stand can go but what about a a season with those two out of action. 50/55/60k how far can it be pushed and of course the boxes, the dreaded fund raising boxes, we must know how many corporates there would be.

Having said that, if the football carries on the way its been I'd consider downsizing.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss
Now I know I got told off for starting a new thread the other week but what the hell. New ground or refurbished stadium. Big issue because it looks like its back on the agenda big style, all sorts of things to consider, atmosphere, capacity, revenue, disruption, tradition, anfield area, bits that need knocking down. Lot to consider but I think it's time start having a view because from what I see the potential owners might just listen.

My view is that its a balance between revenue and atmosphere, is it possible to create an atmosphere that only Anfield has produced in a 60/70k stadium and if we had one would we be able to fill it with the way the world is going. I know Arsenal can fill the Emirates but that's London with 7m people to pull in. Anfield road and the main stand can go but what about a a season with those two out of action. 50/55/60k how far can it be pushed and of course the boxes, the dreaded fund raising boxes, we must know how many corporates there would be.

Having said that, if the football carries on the way its been I'd consider downsizing.

Downsizing the number of your posts? I'll go for that.

I'd rather a new stadium, but if they impress me with plans for a redeveloped increased capacity Anfield then that would be more than ok.

The most important thing however is the long overdue redevelopment of the Anfield area, the place has been left to deteriorate and is in desperate need of a facelift.

I'd rather a new stadium, but if they impress me with plans for a redeveloped increased capacity Anfield then that would be more than ok.

The most important thing however is the long overdue redevelopment of the Anfield area, the place has been left to deteriorate and is in desperate need of a facelift.

A side issue and probably the wrong forum but why has the area been left to rot>

Are the council hoping the club will pay to do their job?

If it's a new stadium at Stanley Park then I hope we don't use the Hicks/Gillett design (Even though I like it). It'd be a horrible reminder of the two of them.

I'd favour us rebuilding the Anfield Road end first and foremost and see how we get on from there. If we can have some sort of long term masterplan for expanding the main stand as well then that'd be ideal.

It needs sorting one way or the other quickly though.

If it's a new stadium at Stanley Park then I hope we don't use the Hicks/Gillett design (Even though I like it). It'd be a horrible reminder of the two of them.

I'd favour us rebuilding the Anfield Road end first and foremost and see how we get on from there. If we can have some sort of long term masterplan for expanding the main stand as well then that'd be ideal.

It needs sorting one way or the other quickly though.

Completely agree, though an 18-20,000 seater kop would be amazing.

The only idea I would have is whatever the build we bury hicks and his son in the concrete foundations, which, with his fat bloated bulk would save us two quids worth of bolster and be the first contribution he's made to the club. If Anfield is refurbished we could pickle him and put him in the car park/proposed site as a gentle reminder to future generations of the corruption of greed and too many burgers.

I would be very interested to see the plans for a re-developed Anfield.

I would imagine it would involve redeveloping the main stand amd the Anfield Rd end. Leaving the Kop and Centenary stand as is? Should get 5,000 extra seats at the Anfield Rd end and another 10,000 seats in the main stand.

Theres your 60,000 stadium.

Problem is thats as big as its ever gonna get......

I say new stadium in stanley park at 60,000 with options for further increases if its necessary. A regenerating the entire anfield area in the process.

I never liked that H&G design.

It looked to me like a stadium that would look dated in twenty years time. Anfield will always be anfield, fuck moving.

Some people just want new because it is. Anfield is one of the most famous stadiums in the world, if we can we must and I see no reason why we cannot.

We harp on about history, well there is no greater history than the ground we play in.

Anything that dosent involve even talking about moving in with the shower across stanley park.

but i would like to think we could stay at anfield expand the kop and other parts of the ground. the big worry is i think ticket prices will take a hike up if we move in fact with these proposed new owners supposedly known for there hike in ticket prices am quite worried already.:(

The club needs more money -- but if we can get old Anfield up to a capacity of 60000 then that would be nice.

But as we know, there's more than just the capacity that decide how much we rank in on match days (and other days) - corporate boxes, café's, restaurants, shops, etc, that we might now have room for at old Anfield.

Hopefully the important Dudes will come up with a decent solution.

I don't want to go to a lifeless bowl and lose the fear factor of anfield. I would love to keep the current stadium.

I know we need a new stadium but is the corporate side of things present at Liverpool like it is in London and Manchester anyway?

Turn our place into 60k which we wont fill midweek imo anyway and then re generate some of the local area and try not to make the money spinning developments - that will inevitably come - too tacky and in your face!

If we get a top manager we will attract players to our club, we need a £100 million initial outlay imo to get even close to catching up to the top 4 pretenders let alone the title chasers.