You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That surprises me. I've always found Tesco's customer service to be excellent. They overcharged us £7.50 on two sets of plates the other week. When it's their error, they refund double the difference, so that was £15 profit right there. Had insects in some berries a while ago too, they refunded the item no quibbles and sent me a £5 voucher. Happy days.

44794_cicchetti.jpg

Got your big plate Alan?

I can't even begin to type the reasons I loathe Tesco, as I only have 2 minutes left on my lunch.

Wankers. Shit shop wankers.

When I'm not on my phone. I too will tell you what a bunch of utter shit cunts they are. My hatred knows no bounds. Fuckers near killed old man bitch. All for a few extra quid on their billions. Cunts.

I welcomed tesco to Prescot, except its now left the traditional shopping centre desolate, it is rumoured to be paying the rent on what used to be the somerfields in the shopping centre so no competition can come against it (which is an absolute fucking disgrace if true) and there are rumours it has bought the green dragon pub opposite whiston hopsital and the horseshoe in whiston to do metros...how many fucking tescos do we need in the place, FUCK OFF.

Once you let them in they are like a creeping disease they put all the small shops out of business, kirkby will regret the day.

I fucking hate Tesco, used to work in one on the tills and it's easily the shittest job I've ever had.

I remember getting a job as a cleaner at tesco or so I thought, went in and the job was to clean the conveyor belt on the till, I lasted a day...the next day I didn't go in cos I had a massive hangover from watching the champions league final and the job was quite possibly the shittest job on the planet.

I can counter the argument that mini Tesco's Sainsbury's degrade local shop areas as we deal with a number of them in our portfolio.

For example in a smallish typical parade of shops, say 20 in the short term then yes a small number of shops selling the same type of product will suffer and potentially go out of business.

It was one leaseholder of 4 shops that assigned his lease over to Tesco's for £1/4M in 2008 with us. So that fella who had a large shitty grocery moved on an retired early with some fat cash. Since then foot flow on the parade has increased and voids are down.

There will be some that suffer, those in same use that don't have the opportunity like the previous fella did. Those shops are still part of an investment portfolio for someone under lease. As a freeholder you can change up the use of the shop.

No where does it say that someone running a portfolio has to put up with a business that can barely afford the lease, pay the rent etc etc. In term of covenant strength, rental security and capital value then you would be mad ny on insane to turn a major down.

There is plenty of evidence to show that the major brand acts as the anchor and other business's are attracted to the area due to the increased foot flow.

I can counter the argument that mini Tesco's Sainsbury's degrade local shop areas as we deal with a number of them in our portfolio.

For example in a smallish typical parade of shops, say 20 in the short term then yes a small number of shops selling the same type of product will suffer and potentially go out of business.

It was one leaseholder of 4 shops that assigned his lease over to Tesco's for £1/4M in 2008 with us. So that fella who had a large shitty grocery moved on an retired early with some fat cash. Since then foot flow on the parade has increased and voids are down.

There will be some that suffer, those in same use that don't have the opportunity like the previous fella did. Those shops are still part of an investment portfolio for someone under lease. As a freeholder you can change up the use of the shop.

No where does it say that someone running a portfolio has to put up with a business that can barely afford the lease, pay the rent etc etc. In term of covenant strength, rental security and capital value then you would be mad ny on insane to turn a major down.

There is plenty of evidence to show that the major brand acts as the anchor and other business's are attracted to the area due to the increased foot flow.

At the moment every shop in whiston village is taken, whiston is a tiny village though, it has a coop, the horseshoe pub, pastie shop, bargain booze, if teso move in they will probably all be put out of business!! why have a tesco next to a coop??

hopefully wetherspoons moves into the pub instead but you can't help wondering what special links they have with the councils if it goes through, and how is it right to rent the lease on a shop to stop a competitor moving in that would have a good effect on the prescot town centre is has helped decimate in the first place??

As a small independent retailer I am hoping beyond hope I can survive. I am well niche, whisky and deli, but these cunts are selling booze lower than wholesale. My fancy cheeses and hams are ok but the bread and butter is the bottle of vodka and whisky.

For example Booker had a special offer last week Smirnoff litres £14.99 + vat

Means I need to sell at 19.99 to make a pound or two per bottle. Fuck all.

Tescos were selling 2 for 26. No way should they be allowed to sell lower than wholesale.

I welcomed tesco to Prescot, except its now left the traditional shopping centre desolate, it is rumoured to be paying the rent on what used to be the somerfields in the shopping centre so no competition can come against it (which is an absolute fucking disgrace if true) and there are rumours it has bought the green dragon pub opposite whiston hopsital and the horseshoe in whiston to do metros...how many fucking tescos do we need in the place, FUCK OFF.

Once you let them in they are like a creeping disease they put all the small shops out of business, kirkby will regret the day.

I once went into that shop to buy some food. It took me about 20 minutes to actually find food. It was tucked away in a distant corner past the tricycles and fancy dress department, but you can see it once you turn left at the computer section opposite the pet shop.

As a small independent retailer I am hoping beyond hope I can survive. I am well niche, whisky and deli, but these cunts are selling booze lower than wholesale. My fancy cheeses and hams are ok but the bread and butter is the bottle of vodka and whisky.

For example Booker had a special offer last week Smirnoff litres £14.99 + vat

Means I need to sell at 19.99 to make a pound or two per bottle. Fuck all.

Tescos were selling 2 for 26. No way should they be allowed to sell lower than wholesale.

Flip side of the coin is that for me, there's only one thing a local shop has to do to get my custom ahead of a supermarket - sell me the same shit cheaper.

I fully understand the economies of scale available to Tesco, that they can dominate pretty much any market, they can dictate the price they'll pay to their suppliers because they may well take 100% of that business's output and the supplier can't afford to lose the guaranteed trade, that they can sell stuff like booze as a loss leader, yadda yadda yadda and yeah it's totally unfair on small retailers. I agree completely.

Thing is, there are two luxuries that I'd need before I used local shops more. One is time, the other is money. I'd also have to change my tastes quite drastically.

I leave the house for work at about half eight most days and get home at half sevenish. I work in the centre of Manchester which has a Tesco, a Sainsburys, a Waitrose and an Aldi.

Now OK, somewhere in the bowels of the Arndale Centre market there's a butchers and bread stall but I don't have the time or the inclination to cunt about making a 15 minute detour on the way to work to pick up a bag of mince when I've got to walk past Tesco and within 50 yards of Sainsburys on the way to the office.

I'd also have to piss about going to the cash machine on the way because they don't take plastic and then put up with some high school dropout called Stacey moaning because I've only got a £20 note. 'Stacey love, it's not hard work - it just means you've got to give me exactly the same change as you would from a tenner, only with a tenner as well, so just fucking deal with it you sullen little cunt.'

That's without the fact that fridge space at work is at a premium, freezer space is near non-existent and my journey home usually takes over an hour which is long enough for anything frozen to start to defrost, especially in summer. No way can I go shopping there on the way home instead because they're shut; also what kind of dried out fucking relics would you expect to find on a bread stall at 6.45pm? What scraggy scraps of steak would the butchers have at that time? Sausages? Sorry mate we sold them all by half eleven.

As for truly local shopping, as in near my house, don't make me laugh. There are four 'shops' near my house; the BP garage, the Shell garage, the local convenience store and the other local convenience store, both of which are run by the same family.

One of these is as convenient as it's possible for a store to be, it's next door to my house, but all I buy there is ale, cigs and my paper in the morning. You know why? It's because they are the only three things the fucker sells that I want to buy.

The entire range of food is made by either Findus or fucking Bobbys, in fact fuck that, I reckon a good 65% of the stock is made by Bobbys. Bobby's bog roll (scrapes your arse to fuck) Bobby's soap (arghhh it burns!) Bobby's chocolate-flavoured-substance covered raisins (like eating shrink-wrapped turds) Bobby's playing cards (three kings, five aces) Bobby's tampons (don't wear a white skirt today love) in fact there isn't a commonly available product in England that Bobby's haven't managed to make a vastly inferior, yet marginally cheaper version of and he sells the lot.

Then he sells two litre bottles of fresh milk (fuck all use to me because half of it goes off) bread that is never more than a day before it's sell by date, eggs which may be perfectly fine but cost about £7.20 each, yogurts, cheese and the like which are often hilariously out of date (last week there was a pot of yogurt in the fridge that was four weeks past it's sell by date AND had a thumbhole in the fucking foil lid!) and always good for a chuckle, the vegetable selection. This usually consists of one five pound bag of spuds, three waist high sacks of onions (there's a large Bangladeshi population in the area and they're totally fucking mad for onions) and whatever other old shit they haven't been able to sell in the other shop.

I once opened the beer fridge and saw one of those shallow cardboard crates of tomatoes in the bottom of it - it looked like it had about three layers of them in it, but it was hard to tell because the top layer were all covered in green mould and had collapsed onto the ones beneath. I remember they once had a small punnet of mushrooms in the fridge and I spent about five minutes wondering whether they'd started out that way or if they had entered the stock as a cucumber sometime last year.

Of course, this shop is on a council estate so his alcohol selection is absolutely fucking phenomenal. A two door, six foot tall fridge which is always stocked with in-date cans of ale, including God only knows how many different 8.2% ciders. It's the only offy I've ever seen where the fridge contains four times as much Tennents Super as it does Carling. Well, I say in-date ale; that's only since I went fucking mad at him after getting sold shit that was three months out of date for about three weeks running a couple of years ago. It was hilarious - either the third or fouth time I took them back after forgetting to check the date in the shop, we went though six or seven trays, his entire stock and every one was from the same old batch. Anyway, he still sold them all to unsuspecting punters but because I used to go in at about the same time every night, he used to stick a few cans that were new in front of them in case i wanted any. Crafty bastard.

Then on top of that, one entire wall of the shop has nothing but more cans in case anyone fancies a proper booze-up, loads of wine that's overpriced at £3.50, a selection of shot-type stuff, all wacky colours with stupid fucking names and finally at least four bottles of every single alcopop known to humanity. They're on the same wall that they used to have the Ben Shaws pop when I was a kid,which is odd because it's all the same stuff now only it gets you pissed. Well, more accurately it gets the local under 17s pissed. Behind the counter is a full range of spirits including several scotches with names like "Mountain Mist" "Winter Glen" and "Old Fuckstick" and the usual selection of dicey vodkas that you just know were distilled in a lock-up in Miles Platting.

The crowning glory is a single bottle of Moet and Chandon champagne on the top shelf - it's about six inches underneath a light with a reflector bulb that's on for 13 hours a day and must have been there for three years at least. I'm very fond of a drop of champers but I don't think I'll be taking that off his hands any time soon.

Anyway, that's why I'm a supermarket shopper. The idea of a little potter round the local shops, picking up some fine produce from boutique stores is a lovely one but the shops here aren't like that - they cater for the majority of their customers which are benefit claimants and others on very low, fixed incomes, usually from part time work. I don't go to work every day so that I can tuck into a fucking Fray Bentos pie when I get home.

My missus is from Stalybridge and there they had done up the canal area really nice. Then, probably after some backhanders, Tesco built a store bang slap in the middle of it. Completely fucking ruined.

Haha, 'ruined' Stalybridge. God beat Tesco to it by at least twenty years.

My missus is from Stalybridge and there they had done up the canal area really nice. Then, probably after some backhanders, Tesco built a store bang slap in the middle of it. Completely fucking ruined.

Staylevegas? Cracking night out - if you survive.

If people paid attention to what planning applications were going through their local authority, then perhaps they might catch the cunts in the act and submit objections, which then lead to a planning committee open meeting to discuss the application.

But no, you'd all rather watch Eastenders.

I tells you. Shittest generation ever.