You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

England v Pakistan

Red Banjo

I think there is a middle ground with Amir. On the one hand he is old enough to know what he was doing out there and it looks pretty damning, but given his age he may well have been dragged into it by more senior members in the first place.

Bothem was right though, once you do it once the gangster's will not let you just carry on and you are their's for the long run.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree with Atherton, don't see the point in going ahead with the one dayers. Call it a day i think.
I can see why you would have this opinion, but I just cant see it happening. These things are planed well in advance and because of the contractual issues, from the TV companies down to the venues to the food and drink franchises, to cancel them now would be a legal nightmare.

The one dayers might well be tainted, but I just cant see the powers that be calling them off.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know they had a few ace squash players years ago (Jansher and Jahangir Khan spring to mind), but I cannot think of any other sport in which Pakistan have had a tradition of excellence, apart from cricket. To see their most beloved sport dragged through the gutter because of the greed of some of their players must be absolutely galling for Pakistani cricket fans, and for Pakistanis in general I would think. With all the problems in that country, cricket provided a semblance of solace which has been taken away. To whom do they turn to now?

Was listening to Five Live in the car earlier today, and one bellend spoke about a conspiracy by the West and India to suppress Pakistani cricket by bringing trumped-up corruption charges on its players. The top brass at the Pakistani Cricket Board have made similar comments in the past. These are the sort of people in whose interest it is to sweep stuff like this under the carpet rather than deal with it head on. It is exactly the sort of thing that can lead people to corruption in the first place.

I also saw the back page of the Daily Fail where they seemed to intimate that an end to cricket corruption is nigh because the Pakistanis have been dealt with and 'justice' has been done. That kind of stupid - but common for the Fail - comment ignores the fact that it's not a problem exclusive to Pakistan. Hansie Cronje being an example.

That young fast bowler they have is an idiot (all three of them are I guess)... he had the talent to be the best fast bowler in the World.

Shame we won't see him play for a long time.

Such a waste of talent.

Any ideas of who the other players are Majeed coughed up mate?

I don't think any others were actually named, just alluded to, but I would be 99.9% sure Kamran Akmal was also in on it. In fact, fuck that, 100%.

Majeed claimed he had to pay Asif the most of the News of the Cunts money (£65,000) to keep him involved in their gang and not go off with 'other factions' within the Pakistan camp, so if he can be believed there were other cliques within the team doing their own spot-fixing independently of these twats.

And something else which stands out, in Butt's mitigation he said something along the lines of 'it was only spot-fixing, it's not like we rigged the outcome of games' (obviously I'm paraphrasing quite heavily!). It's quite clear to me that they threw the game against the Aussies at the SCG in 2010, again I'm absolutely convinced of it. Ponting declared it the best win of his career after the game, but they must have thrown it. I don't know how clued up you are about that particular game, so apologies if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs, but I'll include a couple of links (including the missed run out I posted previously) -

Pakistan's Sydney Test loss open to doubt but new charges look clearer | Sport | The Guardian

In today's News of the World the middle-man Mazhar Majeed proudly refers to that match. "Let me tell you the last Test we did. It was the second Test against Australia in Sydney ... The odds for Pakistan to lose that match, for Australia to win that match were, I think, 40-1 ... That one we made 1.3 [million US dollars]."

On the surface this match produced one of the great Australian comebacks. Certainly that was how it was viewed down under in the immediate aftermath of a famous victory. On the first day, a damp one in Sydney, Australia were bundled out for 127. Mohammad Asif took six for 41 (Mohammad Amir missed that game with a hamstring problem).

In reply Pakistan mustered 333, a first‑innings lead of 206. When Australia were 257 for eight in their second innings a Pakistan victory seemed a formality. Then it all went awry for the Pakistan players – or did it?

Mohammad Yousuf's tactics, as captain, were widely pilloried. He stationed eight men on the boundary when Mike Hussey was on strike. Hussey was dropped three times off the bowling of Danish Kaneria by the wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal, who also missed a straightforward run-out opportunity. Hussey and Peter Siddle added an unlikely 123 for the ninth wicket. Against the odds Australia gained a lead of 175 and they ended up winning the match by 36 runs.

Heres Akmal's perfomance -

[YOUTUBE]z-AJtdepZOc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]IKoc99F8B3U[/YOUTUBE]

Here is the scorecard for Pakistans second innings capitulation -

Imran Farhat c Johnson b Bollinger 22

Salman Butt c †Haddin b Johnson 21

Faisal Iqbal c †Haddin b Johnson 7

Mohammad Yousufc & b Hauritz 19

Umar Akmal c Johnson b Bollinger 49

Misbah-ul-Haq c Hussey b Hauritz 0

Kamran Akmal† c †Haddin b Johnson 11

Mohammad Sami c †Haddin b Hauritz 2

Umar Gul c Siddle b Hauritz 6

Danish Kaneria c Watson b Hauritz 0

Mohammad Asif not out 0

Of course, getting bowled out for 136, on a turning, fourth innings pitch isn't that suspicious, but when you combine it with what we know now, the claims of Majeed, the performance of Akmal (I could watch that 'run-out' all day long, it's incredible!), the tactics of Khan and the fact that every single Pakistan second innings wicket was a catch, well, to me it's obvious they were in the habit of throwing whole games, not just spot-fixing.

I don't think any others were actually named, just alluded to, but I would be 99.9% sure Kamran Akmal was also in on it. In fact, fuck that, 100%.

Majeed claimed he had to pay Asif the most of the News of the Cunts money (£65,000) to keep him involved in their gang and not go off with 'other factions' within the Pakistan camp, so if he can be believed there were other cliques within the team doing their own spot-fixing independently of these twats.

And something else which stands out, in Butt's mitigation he said something along the lines of 'it was only spot-fixing, it's not like we rigged the outcome of games' (obviously I'm paraphrasing quite heavily!). It's quite clear to me that they threw the game against the Aussies at the SCG in 2010, again I'm absolutely convinced of it. Ponting declared it the best win of his career after the game, but they must have thrown it. I don't know how clued up you are about that particular game, so apologies if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs, but I'll include a couple of links (including the missed run out I posted previously) -

Pakistan's Sydney Test loss open to doubt but new charges look clearer | Sport | The Guardian

In today's News of the World the middle-man Mazhar Majeed proudly refers to that match. "Let me tell you the last Test we did. It was the second Test against Australia in Sydney ... The odds for Pakistan to lose that match, for Australia to win that match were, I think, 40-1 ... That one we made 1.3 [million US dollars]."

On the surface this match produced one of the great Australian comebacks. Certainly that was how it was viewed down under in the immediate aftermath of a famous victory. On the first day, a damp one in Sydney, Australia were bundled out for 127. Mohammad Asif took six for 41 (Mohammad Amir missed that game with a hamstring problem).

In reply Pakistan mustered 333, a first‑innings lead of 206. When Australia were 257 for eight in their second innings a Pakistan victory seemed a formality. Then it all went awry for the Pakistan players – or did it?

Mohammad Yousuf's tactics, as captain, were widely pilloried. He stationed eight men on the boundary when Mike Hussey was on strike. Hussey was dropped three times off the bowling of Danish Kaneria by the wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal, who also missed a straightforward run-out opportunity. Hussey and Peter Siddle added an unlikely 123 for the ninth wicket. Against the odds Australia gained a lead of 175 and they ended up winning the match by 36 runs.

Heres Akmal's perfomance -

[YOUTUBE]z-AJtdepZOc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]IKoc99F8B3U[/YOUTUBE]

Here is the scorecard for Pakistans second innings capitulation -

Imran Farhat c Johnson b Bollinger 22

Salman Butt c †Haddin b Johnson 21

Faisal Iqbal c †Haddin b Johnson 7

Mohammad Yousufc & b Hauritz 19

Umar Akmal c Johnson b Bollinger 49

Misbah-ul-Haq c Hussey b Hauritz 0

Kamran Akmal† c †Haddin b Johnson 11

Mohammad Sami c †Haddin b Hauritz 2

Umar Gul c Siddle b Hauritz 6

Danish Kaneria c Watson b Hauritz 0

Mohammad Asif not out 0

Of course, getting bowled out for 136, on a turning, fourth innings pitch isn't that suspicious, but when you combine it with what we know now, the claims of Majeed, the performance of Akmal (I could watch that 'run-out' all day long, it's incredible!), the tactics of Khan and the fact that every single Pakistan second innings wicket was a catch, well, to me it's obvious they were in the habit of throwing whole games, not just spot-fixing.

That cheating cunt is 100% guilty.

I was led to believe he had named others specifically to the judge prior to sentencing.

That test was dodgy as fuck, I was off work with a broken shoulder and watched all of it, it set alarm bells ringing at the time mate.

I was led to believe he had named others specifically to the judge prior to sentencing.

Not sure if anyone was actually named or just referred to, but I guess if someone was named then it would be under reporting restrictions such as Amir and Majeed's guilty pleas. I suppose the other option is that someone like.........oh, I don't know.........just off the top of my head.........Akmal was named in certain pieces of evidence seen by the court.

Also, in his pre-sentencing statement the judge said that it wasn't up to him to decide if this was the tip of the iceberg, it was up to the ICC (so nothing will be done then), and he also said it was his job to punish them for the Lords Test alone, and not any of the other instances of corruption that he had seen evidence off - presumably the Oval Test and who knows what else. That is why he rejected Amir's mitigation, because the trial had seen plenty of evidence that this wasn't an isolated incident.

What's the betting (ho hum) that the ICC don't even request copies of the evidence seen by the trial? Useless pricks.

Not sure if anyone was actually named or just referred to, but I guess if someone was named then it would be under reporting restrictions such as Amir and Majeed's guilty pleas. I suppose the other option is that someone like.........oh, I don't know.........just off the top of my head.........Akmal was named in certain pieces of evidence seen by the court.

Also, in his pre-sentencing statement the judge said that it wasn't up to him to decide if this was the tip of the iceberg, it was up to the ICC (so nothing will be done then), and he also said it was his job to punish them for the Lords Test alone, and not any of the other instances of corruption that he had seen evidence off - presumably the Oval Test and who knows what else. That is why he rejected Amir's mitigation, because the trial had seen plenty of evidence that this wasn't an isolated incident.

What's the betting (ho hum) that the ICC don't even request copies of the evidence seen by the trial? Useless pricks.

Outstanding post mate.

Sums up my views perfectly.

I just hope people are not now complacent and think the problem is now sorted because the Pakistani's have been caught.