You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to see Spearing breaking through when we buy "old" expensive internationals like that.

I think it is hard to Spearing breaking through, regardless!

We only really had Mascherano and Lucas in centre-mid last season, with Spearing and Plessis as back-up. I think even if everybody stayed we would have needed to bring someone in, ideally. I hope Poulson is that back-up, if it is true that he's coming, and not the replacement for Mascherano.

If/when the Mascherano deal comes through, I'd be thrilled if we used it on Turan, Defour or Michael Bradley, and Figueroa (assuming we figure out a way to send Insua somewhere). Was leaning with the sentiment that we haven't given Insua a full shot but then watched him play today and it reminded me what I don't like about him.

Not excited about Parker or Poulsen.

Neither are good enough.

I don't agree with that, especially in Parkers case.

Over the years some relatively average players have made key controbutions in winning titles for teams - O'Shea, Parlour etc...

We don't need world beaters we already have them in Torres, Gerrard, Cole and Reina.

What we need in consistent performers to help contribute, someone like Parker could do this.

I don't agree with that, especially in Parkers case.

Over the years some relatively average players have made key controbutions in winning titles for teams - O'Shea, Parlour etc...

We don't need world beaters we already have them in Torres, Gerrard, Cole and Reina.

What we need in consistent performers to help contribute, someone like Parker could do this.

I'm not for one second saying we need 11 world class players.

But to replace Mascher with an older, inferior player whilst spending silly money on them as they are British is not the way to go.

I'm not for one second saying we need 11 world class players.

But to replace Mascher with an older, inferior player whilst spending silly money on them as they are British is not the way to go.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't be unhappy if he signed - I think he could do a good job.

United signed an uninspiring Carrick a few years ago when no one thought anyone would win the title from Chelsea, especially as United had just lost Horseface. They won the Champs League and Title after that...

He wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't be unhappy if he signed - I think he could do a good job.

United signed an uninspiring Carrick a few years ago when no one thought anyone would win the title from Chelsea, especially as United had just lost Horseface. They won the Champs League and Title after that...

I wouldn't be happy with his signing. West Ham have already turned down an 8m bid, Defour is reportedly available for 10m.

Nah, he’s a mid table guy nearly 30 who also seems to get injured a fair bit.

Not great at anything really, just all around solid.

What’s the point?

He was fairly injury free last season and was West Ham's star man.

He's great at being a centre mid in the old school mould, he can tackle and he can also pass the ball.

I'd be delighted with him but I'd prefer Defour i'll level with you.

He's not great though really. He's decent at best.

Anyway I'll leave it there.

Just think Parker, and also Konchesky if that happens, and the Luke Young link are the wrong way to go about things. If we're skint take a punt on someone with potential rather than someone proven to be mediocre.

Harry Redknapp is ready to sell Peter Crouch as he gears up for some major wheeler-dealing at Tottenham.

The White Hart Lane boss is looking to shake up his attack and would sacrifice the England striker for around £7million if he can find a quick replacement.

Crouch has followed Redknapp to many clubs and been bought and sold several times by him, but this latest potential exit will come as a surprise to him.

Redknapp is looking for more strength in his attack and insiders reveal Crouch was being teed up for a sale to Fulham before manager Roy Hodgson left for Liverpool.

Successor Mark Hughes may be interested in the leggy front man, who controversially turned down Fulham a year ago – he’ll decide this week.

Hodgson is a possible bidder for Crouch if the price is right and a sensational return to Liverpool is not out of the question.

And England star Crouch could be pitched into the Tottenham move for West Ham midfield dynamo Scott Parker.

Read more: Transfer news: Peter Crouch is heading out of Tottenham and possibly back to Liverpool or to Fulham - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Read more: Transfer news: Peter Crouch is heading out of Tottenham and possibly back to Liverpool or to Fulham - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

I'm really not happy about this britification of our squad. After the most mediocre showing at the world cup, by what are considered Englands best players (mostly), we decide to fill our squad with English fucking journeymen.

English players are currently the most overrated and under performing in world football, yet Roy wants to fill key positions in the squad with shit.

I've always believed that regardless of the league/standard involved, when a player leaves you should try and improve on your situation.

Roy will be signing his own P45 if he's relying on mediocre shit to satisfy the demands of the fans. It's ok at Fulham where finishing 12th and a run to a Europa league final gets you manager of the year, but he'll struggle from day one if he signs a load of shit.

Horus, the 25 man quota has a lot to do with it. Also Houllier brought in French, Rafa brought in Spanish. Why wouldn't Roy bring in English?

Also the world cup argument doesn't work. Does that mean we shouldn't buy Danish, French, Italian, Russian, in fact anyone who wasn't in the last 16?

I'm really not happy about this britification of our squad. After the most mediocre showing at the world cup, by what are considered Englands best players (mostly), we decide to fill our squad with English fucking journeymen.

English players are currently the most overrated and under performing in world football, yet Roy wants to fill key positions in the squad with shit.

I've always believed that regardless of the league/standard involved, when a player leaves you should try and improve on your situation.

Roy will be signing his own P45 if he's relying on mediocre shit to satisfy the demands of the fans. It's ok at Fulham where finishing 12th and a run to a Europa league final gets you manager of the year, but he'll struggle from day one if he signs a load of shit.

I would not worry about it too much, it seems that we have no money to sign even mediocre British players. If there's a change of ownership, then I'd worry about exactly this.

Horus, the 25 man quota has a lot to do with it. Also Houllier brought in French, Rafa brought in Spanish. Why wouldn't Roy bring in English?

Because they're not very good? France was world no 1 during Houllier's time, Spain now. And you edited, of course world ranking counts, and equally of course we should get the best possible players regardless of the nationality. World ranking is just an indication of where these guys may be found easiest.