You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John, you have no idea what's gone on but you're immediately springing into action having a pop at people who aren't happy with Purslow doing something like this off his own bat. You can't just assume that Roy decided to do this and then use that "fact" as something to call other people hypocrites about 2001.

It doesn't always have to be about picking a gang to be in, you know.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Point out to me where I have ''defended'' Purslow please as I am struggling to see it here?

I merely asked Jim on my first post who told him as it was a bit of a sweeping statement for him to make.

If Purslow did it on Roy's request say then we just have to accept it. It isn't a great deal in the grand scheme.

Can’t imagine that Hodgson’s first request on arrival was that a mural of the club’s greatest recent achievement be taken down, can you?

Surely seeing pictures of what they can achieve with Liverpool would inspire the team & manager? It also makes them remember what Liverpool is all about while going to training everyday. The people who made it possible for Liverpool to win all those trophies, it would also inspire people to maybe be on the wall one day. I don't see how having pictures of previous truimphs can be negative in anyway.

Good Point.

But, as I recall this mural features a large image of Benitez. Not that there is anything wrong with having Benitez prominent within a mural of 2005.

But as I said, that was his mural, that was his mural, for his players and his staff. It was there to remind people of his and their teams triumph, it was his mark at Melwood, now he is gone.

There is probably two sides to this

1. Hodgson wanted it gone, which is understandable

2. Purslow went on a power trip, which clearly is wrong.

But at the end of the day, it's just a fucking picture installed by the previous manager. Istanbul takes up the majority of the Museum, the club channel has it on repeat 24/7, Nicky Alt wrote a fucking play about it, and Dave Kirby probably has about 20 sonnets about it as well.

It's not as if it'a faded from memory.

John, you have no idea what's gone on but you're immediately springing into action having a pop at people who aren't happy with Purslow doing something like this off his own bat. You can't just assume that Roy decided to do this and then use that "fact" as something to call other people hypocrites about 2001.

John isn't defending Purslow. He's just saying that this has happened before.

Good Point.

But, as I recall this mural features a large image of Benitez. Not that there is anything wrong with having Benitez prominent within a mural of 2005.

But as I said, that was his mural, that was his mural, for his players and his staff. It was there to remind people of his and their teams triumph, it was his mark at Melwood, now he is gone.

There is probably two sides to this

1. Hodgson wanted it gone, which is understandable

2. Purslow went on a power trip, which clearly is wrong.

But at the end of the day, it's just a fucking picture installed by the previous manager. Istanbul takes up the majority of the Museum, the club channel has it on repeat 24/7, Nicky Alt wrote a fucking play about it, and Dave Kirby probably has about 20 sonnets about it as well.

It's not as if it'a faded from memory.

Fair enough if Roy thinks it's beneficial for the team to not have pictures of our history then I'd agree but if this is true:

a larger picture representing the treble season under Ged was put up by Lee when he joined with Rafa's approval. along with the 2005 CL one, and countless others portraying our history and great individuals.

Why would the Rafa picture be singled out unless it is infact, Purslow pissing on everything Rafa has done. Fair enough if every single thing is being taken down but if it's just the Benitez one I doubt it's being removed by Hodgson's orders.

And this needed its 1000 word essay because?

Its a picture ffs and it would be worse to leave it there as its Melwood as pointed out earlier.

New start and everything, how many of those players and staff are left anyway?

What, they've taken down pictures of the clubs previous European triumphs?

Unless they've completely removed Istanbul and any knowledge of Istanbul from Melwood I fail to see your point.

Look, I don't want to turn this into something it isn't.

Purslow is a cunt, we know that, you know that and as Stu said, it's about the club being run by a spiteful cunt.

If he's done this off his own bat, then he's a massive cunt. But if he hasn't, then what the fuck are we arguing for!

Unless they've completely removed Istanbul and any knowledge of Istanbul from Melwood I fail to see your point.

They've removed a picture in recognition to it.

Why?

Are they going to be consistent and remove any other pictures that recognise other past triumphs?

Stu, its not like that at all.

Someone posts something which has happened and then people point out it happened before thats all its not gangs or sides.

You're kidding yourself man. Any time Real Red posts anything or anyone posts an article he's written from Anfield road you can be guaranteed the same people will be criticising, picking holes, defending Purslow, the yanks, Broughton, whoever.

It's ridiculous, and only primarily because RR was seen as a Rafa defender, in my opinion.

The original article points it out that Purslow did it off his own bat. That needs to be proved doesn't it as it is being passed off as fact. I was merely suggesting that we don't know that. What is wrong with that Stu?

They've removed a picture in recognition to it.

Why?

Are they going to be consistent and remove any other pictures that recognise other past triumphs?

Are you suggesting that in Melwood right now, there is no reference to Istanbul, in picture or in memorabilia? There is a picture and there is a big fuck off Mural. Which unless it's appropriate to the current set up, shouldn't really be in Melwood.

The point I'm trying to make that is that one of the first things you see when you go into Melwood is the Istanbul Mural with Rafa Benitez smack bang in the middle of it, it kind of undermines the manager.

I'm going to leave it on this note.

Istanbul was probably the greatest day of most of our lives, local playwrites have made tonnes of money off it, we brought a film out of it, we've written poems of it and the club channel airs in every single fucking day (almost).

Our museum is dedicated to Istanbul and we have the trophy for keeps. Unless Purslow has one of them memory blanking devices, we aren't going to forget Benitez and what he did that day.

Purslow can try his best and remove all Rafa related stuff from our club, but he won't succeed.

In the grand scheme of things, this is probably Semi Evil in terms of what Purslow has actually done.

It isn't a secret anymore that some of the current squad couldn't stand Rafa. Do you honestly think they wish to see his face now he has gone on a mural or pictures or whatever it is? How do we know a few of the senior players haven't requested the Rafa stuff is taken down?

Look at it this way, Rafa has just joined Inter Milan. They have just had their best season since the 60's. Do you think Rafa is looking lovingly at his buddy Jose lifting Inter's first European Cup for 45 years on pictures or a Mural at Inters training ground? Naaah I doubt it.

The point I'm trying to make that is that one of the first things you see when you go into Melwood is the Istanbul Mural with Rafa Benitez smack bang in the middle of it, it kind of undermines the manager.

I like the way it has become fact in 3 pages that a picture of Benitez on the wall would undermine the new manager.

It isn't a secret anymore that some of the current squad couldn't stand Rafa. Do you honestly think they wish to see his face now he has gone on a mural or pictures or whatever it is? How do we know a few of the senior players haven't requested the Rafa stuff is taken down?

So now it wasn’t just Hodgson, it was the players too? They hated him SO much they can’t even stand to see his face. Probably just ripped it down with their hands and teeth, beat it with their shoes, etc.

Melwood earlier:

saddamstatue.jpg

Are you suggesting that in Melwood right now, there is no reference to Istanbul, in picture or in memorabilia?

Yes, the mural in question, do you know what it looks like?

Is this 'fact' that it will undermine the current manager?

It isn't a secret anymore that some of the current squad couldn't stand Rafa.

Going to need some facts with that.

I like the way it has become fact in 3 pages that a picture of Benitez on the wall would undermine the new manager.

It's about letting everyone know whose boss, it's alpha male type shit. This isn't about Istanbul, this is once more....about Rafa Benitez, and Purslow.

Lets say for example Pepe Becomes captain, and he gets Stevie's locker and on the front of that locker is a picture of Steve and the European Cup. It's just not right.

Melwood is Fort Hodgson now, it's his bunker. He can write 'Fuck the Matrix' for all I care.

I know I said I'll leave it now, but here is what I think.

...Hodgson wanted it torn down, either that or Purslow is ridiculously petty, which I wouldn't put it past him.