You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Contador will claw back more than the 1min 40 in the time trial this year, unless schleck has improved massively in that discipline.

No way Bertie will take 1:42 out of cuddles in the ITT, and I don't think he'll take 1:30 out of Schleck Jr either. Last year on a flat ITT course he only managed 30 seconds. This years route is quite hilly and that will suit Schleck more.

If Contador replicates his Giro form then they will all struggle to match him in the high mountains but it really depends on how well he has recovered as that was a fearsome route.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are Russian female athletes allowed to compete?

BBC Sport - Russian Alexandr Kolobnev fails Tour de France doping test

Russian Alexandr Kolobnev fails Tour de France doping test

_54017503_54017502.jpg

Russia's Alexandr Kolobnev has become the first rider to fail a doping test during this year's Tour de France.

The sport's governing body the UCI said the 30-year-old's urine sample contained hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic which is banned in professional cycling.

Kolobnev has been sacked by his Katusha team and faces the prospect of a ban.

A Katusha official also said he would have to pay damages for tarnishing the team's image.

The sample was taken last Wednesday but Kolobnev has the right to request the results of his B sample.

Hydrochlorothiazide is listed as a banned substance because it can also be used to mask other drugs.

The UCI said in a statement: "The UCI anti-doping rules do not provide for a provisional suspension given the nature of the substance, which is a specified substance.

"However the UCI is confident that his team will take the necessary steps to enable the Tour de France to continue in serenity and to ensure that their rider has the opportunity to properly prepare his defence in particular within the legal timeline, which allows four days for him to have his B sample analysed.

"Under the world anti-doping code and the UCI anti-doping rules, the UCI is unable to provide any additional information at this time."

Kolobnev was 69th in the overall standings after nine stages, 22 minutes and 15 seconds behind leader Thomas Voeckler.

He won a bronze medal in the road race at the 2008 Olympics after being promoted from fourth after second-placed finisher Davide Rebellin failed a drugs test.

Kolobnev has also won two World Championship silver medals in road racing.

Bertie and Riis are bluffing, he'll blitz them in the alps. So far this year Schleck has won one KOM title whereas Bertie has won the GC and the points prize in the Giro d'italia when he was also second in the KOM, and a couple of other stage races in Murcia and Catalunya.

Evans has some good form but didn't look like he could wheelsuck the best climbers in the recent dauphine.

Today's stage is tailor made for HTC to deliver Cav for the win.

Edited by L19red

So after 1 week, your favourite for victory out of these:

Contador

A. Schleck

F. Schleck

Evans

Basso

I think A. Schleck will win it from Evans in the end.

I think the Schleck's need to have a convincing lead before the individual time trial, to be fair.

I think Evans and Contador are both better in the TT than both of the brothers.

However, Contador is sitting about 2 minutes off Evans(and the Schlecks) currently. Stages 12/13/14 should wittle down the pack at the top by a lot... and then I reckon the Andy Schleck will win it in the late mountain stages.

Thor has fallen WWAaaayyyy offf...

Looks like Andy and Frank are still my favourites. They've the strongest team support.

After they almost stopped an waited for the riders affected in the chaos when Vino got injured he understood he had lost the yellow jersey and just slipped down getting an easy ride the rest of that stage.

He would lose it in the mountains anyway so he thought it was better to save strenght and maybe be able to win a stage later in the tour.

For some reason I cant stand the Schlecks, Contador all the way for me, but he might be exhausted after the giro and he has been involved in too many crashes already, his knee looks fucked to be honest.

For some reason I cant stand the Schlecks, Contador all the way for me, but he might be exhausted after the giro and he has been involved in too many crashes already, his knee looks fucked to be honest.

Really? I've always been a fan of Andy Schleck, and think his brother is a great supporting rider who can last the whole race and maybe challenge, but think Contador has a punchable face.

Really? I've always been a fan of Andy Schleck, and think his brother is a great supporting rider who can last the whole race and maybe challenge, but think Contador has a punchable face.

contador rides to win every time he enters a race. Schleck has a go at L-B-L then pisses about for 3 months until July. I find it hard to get excited about that sort of rider. In his favour, he does like the occasional pint.

mountains at last!

Its very nice to see Cav battling it out with Gilbert and the other sprinters for the maillot vert but the real business of the tour starts today.

Evans to wheelsuck his way to yellow. Cunego is my dark horse to take a mountain stage could be today.

great stage and a deserved win for Sammy Sanchez. I was wrong about Evans, schleck snr has moved ahead in the standings, but Chapeau to Tommy Voekler for hanging on to the maillot jaune with a fantastic ride. The Schlecks will need to put a lot more time into Cuddles though if they are going to stop him blitzing them in the ITT.

Basso and Cunego both looked in good nick for the italian teams but Contador looked like he is really suffering from his Giro exploits and hung on gamely but ultimately dropped off, not a good day for him.

Can Contador forget about Yellow already? Me thinks yes.

Looked very tired up the last climb yesterday. Basso, on the other hand, looked very sharp. Will be tough to beat the Schleck brothers, though, especially Fränk. Andy was knackered allegedly, but I think that was something he said and did for tactical reasons.

Important stage today. Leopard Trek seems to be setting up a proper attack up the final climb. Could do without Jens Voigt crashing twice, though, but he's ahead of the rest of the pack and knowing him he'll still be there pulling the Schlecks up to Plateau de Beille.

its working out very nicely for cuddles. He'll beat Frank Schleck by 4-5 minutes in the ITT and can probably take a minute or more from Andy. Day 1 in the alps actually favours him a little as its nearly all about descending for the last 60km and the schlecks are crap going downhill.

Thursday on the Galibier and Friday on Alpe D'huez are going to be great, 5 HC climbs in two days. The Galibier via the Lautaret is not that steep, but its very long and kicks up to 10% in the last 1.5km just when the air is getting really thin. If evans can hold on there then he can win.

Such a shame that Wiggins is out because he was outperforming Evans a month ago in the Dauphine. and beat Cancellara in an ITT.

Voekler is the surprise package, can he really keep climbing like this?