You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hillsborough tops sold in Club shop

PaulMcC

Liverpool have responded swiftly after shirts referencing the Hillsborough disaster were mistakenly advertised in an official club store.

Ninety six fans were killed on the Leppings Lane terrace at Sheffield Wednesday's ground before the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest - the darkest day in Anfield's history.

Supporters visiting the club's Williamson Square branch on Friday were astonished and angered to see pre-printed replica home shirts with 'Justice 96' on shelves next to ones bearing the names of Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard being sold for £54 each.

Unofficial messageboards were bombarded by fans who felt that Liverpool were insensitively cashing in on the memory of the 96 deceased supporters and the chant which recognises the ongoing battle for the truth of how those 96 who died on 15 April 1989 to be fully exposed.

Ian Pankhurst said: "Whilst the club shouldn't stop supporters requesting these shirts - if people think the back of a shirt is appropriate media for displaying a justice message, then fair enough.

"What the club shouldn't have done was actively market them. In isolation, it looked like a hideous lack of judgement. A donation to the three Hillsborough groups would be a positive step."

The pre-printed shirts have since been removed and a club spokesman has insisted that supporters were still free to request any name and number printing on the back of shirts from official stores.

He said: "Shirts are sold blank and fans can ask for any lettering and numbers to be put on them, within reason.

"A large number of supporters have asked for 'Justice 96' on the back of their shirts in previous years and LFC is happy to provide fans with the same lettering on the new shirts."

Liverpool FC respond after Hillsborough shirt blunder at club store > Local News > News | Click Liverpool

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool have responded swiftly after shirts referencing the Hillsborough disaster were mistakenly advertised in an official club store.

Ninety six fans were killed on the Leppings Lane terrace at Sheffield Wednesday's ground before the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest - the darkest day in Anfield's history.

Supporters visiting the club's Williamson Square branch on Friday were astonished and angered to see pre-printed replica home shirts with 'Justice 96' on shelves next to ones bearing the names of Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard being sold for £54 each.

Unofficial messageboards were bombarded by fans who felt that Liverpool were insensitively cashing in on the memory of the 96 deceased supporters and the chant which recognises the ongoing battle for the truth of how those 96 who died on 15 April 1989 to be fully exposed.

Ian Pankhurst said: "Whilst the club shouldn't stop supporters requesting these shirts - if people think the back of a shirt is appropriate media for displaying a justice message, then fair enough.

"What the club shouldn't have done was actively market them. In isolation, it looked like a hideous lack of judgement. A donation to the three Hillsborough groups would be a positive step."

The pre-printed shirts have since been removed and a club spokesman has insisted that supporters were still free to request any name and number printing on the back of shirts from official stores.

He said: "Shirts are sold blank and fans can ask for any lettering and numbers to be put on them, within reason.

"A large number of supporters have asked for 'Justice 96' on the back of their shirts in previous years and LFC is happy to provide fans with the same lettering on the new shirts."

Liverpool FC respond after Hillsborough shirt blunder at club store > Local News > News | Click Liverpool

You can tell it's a weekend, HMP Parkhurst will get fucked royally on Monday, no way would any of the suits admit this was a deliberate marketing ploy.

If I was to go out now and buy a shirt, ask for Justice 96 on the back, and then pay the £54 for the privilege , what's the difference ?

The answer I will get is that the club aren't knowingly marketing the disaster of that day, BUT, by allowing the actual printing of the letters and number is the exact same thing, isn't it ?

Or it's the choice of the buyer to have it printed argument ?

Well, its a very popular choice.

Does it not promote awareness of the issue ? The fight to get Justice for those 96 ?

Before I get negged to fuck and back, which in comparison is irrelevant, Im just posing the question.

If I was to go out now and buy a shirt, ask for Justice 96 on the back, and then pay the £54 for the privilege , what's the difference ?

The answer I will get is that the club aren't knowingly marketing the disaster of that day, BUT, by allowing the actual printing of the letters and number is the exact same thing, isn't it ?

Does it not promote awareness of the issue ? The fight to get Justice for those 96 ?

Before I get negged to fuck and back, which in comparison is irrelevant, Im just posing the question.

I agree mate. Can understand others not taking the same view though as it's an emotive issue for everyone.

Also, this isn't anything to do with the Americans. The clubshop has sold preprinted shirts like this for at least 4 years, and people were having it printed long before then, too.

I agree mate. Can understand others not taking the same view though as it's an emotive issue for everyone.

Also, this isn't anything to do with the Americans. The clubshop has sold preprinted shirts like this for at least 4 years, and people were having it printed long before then, too.

Me too, I agree its a very sensitive issue.

The likely reason its more expensive is because there's more letters/numbers in "Justice for the 96" than there is in "Gerrard 8". Its not the club ramping up the price of the shirt because of its Hillsborough reference, its just that the club charges for name and numbering by the letter.

Still blatant profiteering over the death of 96 people by having the shirt on display though.

The likely reason its more expensive is because there's more letters/numbers in "Justice for the 96" than there is in "Gerrard 8". Its not the club ramping up the price of the shirt because of its Hillsborough reference, its just that the club charges for name and numbering by the letter.

Still blatant profiteering over the death of 96 people by having the shirt on display though.

There's a standard charge for names and numbers. 'Al 1' costs the same as 'Llewlyn-Bowen 99'

The difference in price as far as I can see is between an adult shirt and a junior shirt, as an adult shirt alone costs £42 so there's no way they'd be giving them away with Gerrard 8 on the back at no extra cost.

Unless they know something we don't and he's agreed a transfer...

Not sure what to make of this.

For years the club has allowed people to have personalised messages such as 'Justice' at the back of their shirt, and be charged to do so.

It's been going on for years, rightly or wrongly they produced a few because it was popular. This is nothing new.

There's a world of difference between a person requesting their shirt to be customised and a club store having shirts already on display with 'Justice 96' on the back alongside 'Gerrard 8' shirts.

The woman running the store even admitted it was insensitive and said they'd take the shirts down immediately.

People have a right to be angry about this.

It's the same price. £12 for printing, regardless of what it says.

Dear *****

Thanks for your email and for taking the time to write to me. I understand your concern but I can tell you that you have been advised wrongly.

The club does not sell Justice 96 shirts or anything like it.* What happened was that one fan came into the shop and asked for that to be printed on a shirt at his own request. He bought it and then returned it. A member of staff by mistake put this one shirt back out with some other stock. Once it was pointed out by a customer it was removed. We don't stock shirts with this on and it was a genuine error on one single shirt.

I think most fans know that the club does not and never will try to profit from anything related to Hillsborough and I refute the fact that anyone would suggest we do. We support the families and have always been clear on our policies in this area.

Many thanks for your note, I hope that explains what happened.

Kind regards

Ian

IAN AYRE

COMMERCIAL DIRECTOR

LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB

Perhaps if someone had contacted him in the first place rather than starting a hysterical thread on RAOTL it would saved a lot of aggro?

I've definitely seen preprinted shirts on sale in the past though. Though it might have been the same sort of issue and it was hardly hundreds of them on sale.

Funny that they'd take back a shirt that had a personalised slogan on the back?

If it said "Rome 77" would they do the same?

I know it is a popular slogan, but still...

Fair question, but in my opinion, if anyone has a genuine interest in showing support, they should pop over the road and pay a lot less for a T-shirt promoting the issue from the HJC shop, where all the funds go directly to the HJC. Lots of colours, lots of designs. I can't see why anyone would pay fifty odd quid to the club when they could pay a few quid directly to HJC.

Dear *****

Thanks for your email and for taking the time to write to me. I understand your concern but I can tell you that you have been advised wrongly.

The club does not sell Justice 96 shirts or anything like it.* What happened was that one fan came into the shop and asked for that to be printed on a shirt at his own request. He bought it and then returned it. A member of staff by mistake put this one shirt back out with some other stock. Once it was pointed out by a customer it was removed. We don't stock shirts with this on and it was a genuine error on one single shirt.

I think most fans know that the club does not and never will try to profit from anything related to Hillsborough and I refute the fact that anyone would suggest we do. We support the families and have always been clear on our policies in this area.

Many thanks for your note, I hope that explains what happened.

Kind regards

Ian

IAN AYRE

COMMERCIAL DIRECTOR

LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB

Utter bollocks, they don't give refunds on shirts with personalised messages.

Lying cunts.

From the Offal:

"I don't really see anything wrong with it though. Fair enough, the money will be going straight into the owner's hands, and maybe i'm being very ignorant here, but i'd happily pay - knowing that's where the money was going - just to get the shirt,"

"I might be being ignorant, and i'm pretty sure you'll tell me like it is, but i really don't see how it's such a crime to buy the new shirt, just because the money will go to the owners."

"not that I want to give money to the owners but to show my support , I FEEL TERRIBLY bad when I dont wear an LFC shirt and now a new shirt is out and I brought to show my support towards the club i Love , maybe its wrong , but a boycutt can be done using something else , but its pretty wrong in my view not to have an LFC top , and its a new one , other than the old one , so im wearing like our players"

"I realise it might be going into the owner's pockets, but they can put that money up their ass as far as i'm concerned, because as long as i get my shirt, and wear it with pride, then i don't have a care in the world. "

We will never get anything done when some fans have this mentality. As for others defending this, they are even lying to us now. They know they fucked up so they are trying to cover their tracks. They can get fucked and I will back any idea now to get these cunts out. I am sick to death of it and I feel I can't even enjoy football now thanks to these leaches. All of them at the top of the club can get fucked.

From the Offal:

"I don't really see anything wrong with it though. Fair enough, the money will be going straight into the owner's hands, and maybe i'm being very ignorant here, but i'd happily pay - knowing that's where the money was going - just to get the shirt,"

"I might be being ignorant, and i'm pretty sure you'll tell me like it is, but i really don't see how it's such a crime to buy the new shirt, just because the money will go to the owners."

"not that I want to give money to the owners but to show my support , I FEEL TERRIBLY bad when I dont wear an LFC shirt and now a new shirt is out and I brought to show my support towards the club i Love , maybe its wrong , but a boycutt can be done using something else , but its pretty wrong in my view not to have an LFC top , and its a new one , other than the old one , so im wearing like our players"

"I realise it might be going into the owner's pockets, but they can put that money up their ass as far as i'm concerned, because as long as i get my shirt, and wear it with pride, then i don't have a care in the world. "

We will never get anything done when some fans have this mentality. As for others defending this, they are even lying to us now. They know they fucked up so they are trying to cover their tracks. They can get fucked and I will back any idea now to get these cunts out. I am sick to death of it and I feel I can't even enjoy football now thanks to these leaches. All of them at the top of the club can get fucked.

No one is defending anyone or anything, what I don't get is the hysteria from the thread on here and RAOTL when this sort of thing has been going on for fucking years.

I think in many cases this is a false sense of outrage, because as I have said, game after game you will see the same shirt, week after week they will receive the same request, and for years the club have taken money off fans wanting the said slogan.

Once more, this is nothing new, can we stop pretending it is now and perhaps stop jumping at the opportunity to bring H'Boro into a fight against the Americans? Because that is what is most obvious here.

And No I don't think it's right that they charge for the slogan but nor do I think it's right that they take full profit from it, if any.

No one is defending anyone or anything, what I don't get is the hysteria from the thread on here and RAOTL when this sort of thing has been going on for fucking years.

I think in many cases this is a false sense of outrage, because as I have said, game after game you will see the same shirt, week after week they will receive the same request, and for years the club have taken money off fans wanting the said slogan.

Once more, this is nothing new, can we stop pretending it is now and perhaps stop jumping at the opportunity to bring H'Boro into a fight against the Americans? Because that is what is most obvious here.

And No I don't think it's right that they charge for the slogan but nor do I think it's right that they take full profit from it, if any.

So just to clarify, shirts with "JUSTICE 96" on have been on display in the club shop before, placed directly between "Gerrard 8" & "Torres 9"?

Because if they haven't you're wrong.