You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa: We were never going to win the title

straight_red

Rafa seems to be moving into damage limiation mode now, saying we were never going to win the title anyway... Full interview here. Leaving aside the fact this has been the most open title race in years, I don't think it's unrealistic to say we should have been at least challenging.

In fact, I'd agree with the bloke who said "We have to manage the expectations. We know the situation. If you talk about the title, everybody is saying that we have to win it this season. But I don’t think so. We have to be realistic, we want to be in the top four and to be contenders."

Now, who might that have been, Rafa?

Personally, I'd respect him more if he just came out and admitted the mistakes he's made.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How inspiring that must be for the players, imagine Shankly saying that. How much net did United and Chelsea spend last summer? he's ran out of excuses, he isn't up to the job. Everton being so close to us is a fuckin disgrace then if budget is anything to go by.

Guest TK-421

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

FUCK OFF THE LOT OF YOU!!!! EVERY CUNTING, CUNTING FUCKING DAY, RAFA THIS, RAFA FUCKING THAT, RAFA ATE MY SHREDDIES, RAFA BROKE MY JOYPAD, RAFA SPILT MY FUCKING PINT AND CALLED IT A POOF.

JUST FUCK OFF!

FUCK OFF THE LOT OF YOU!!!! EVERY CUNTING, CUNTING FUCKING DAY, RAFA THIS, RAFA FUCKING THAT, RAFA ATE MY SHREDDIES, RAFA BROKE MY JOYPAD, RAFA SPILT MY FUCKING PINT AND CALLED IT A POOF.

JUST FUCK OFF!

Why not tell him to stop constantly spouting highly embarrassing utter fucking cod shit?

If he's gonna constantly embarrass himself with total bollocks like this, then don't cry it in at the people laughing at him for it!! He brings it on himself!!

Fucking hell, he needs to fuck off at the end of the season. We'll always have Istanbul, but it's like a marriage going wrong at the moment where the person you once adored, now gets massively on your tits, just for being them.

Sorry Rafa, I agree about the money side of the game, but we will always disagree massively on the approach to games. It's better to die on your feet trying, than bringing everyone back and playing hoofball for the season.

fair comment aws. But it's not what he actually said in the interview that irks me, it's the type of language used and the constant lowering of expectations for what used to be a great football club.

He was bullish at the end of last season and at the start of this one, but he's been the master of talking us down since about September, when this season started to go completely tits up due to his piss poor approach to the game and him shipping out top class players and replacing them with shit.

Again.

fair comment aws. But it's not what he actually said in the interview that irks me, it's the type of language used and the constant lowering of expectations for what used to be a great football club.

He was bullish at the end of last season and at the start of this one, but he's been the master of talking us down since about September, when this season started to go completely tits up due to his piss poor approach to the game and him shipping out top class players and replacing them with shit.

Again.

Tom, I'd argue that those dealing above him have done a much better job in lowering this great football club's expectations than Rafa has.

We've had a terrible season, Rafa is the manager and has to take responsibility for that. I do not think we where equipped to win the league, balancing the books last summer when we should have been putting funds in to building on last season ensured that. But we still should have been atleast comfortably in the top 4 and the league and cup (Europa apart) performances simply have not been good enough. I don't think any supporter of Rafa, myself included, would deny that. He even came out before the Benfica match and stated he's made some big mistakes this season, so he knows that too.

But what do people expect him to say? It's clear a hell of a lot of shit is going on at our club that us lot here don't have a clue about, and I fail to see how that cannot seep down in to the playing staff and management. It's been 2 years of constant day to day shit and it's unfair to expect a human being not to be affected in some way by the constant insecurity and uncertainty.

The season has been absolutely dire, utter shite. Rafa needs to take responsibility for that, as do his players, but even more so the bastard cancerous tumours who have succeeded in sucking every bit of life out of the club from the day they walked in to the pathetic state we lie in now, whoring ourselves around the globe. I fail to see how people cannot recognise all these factors are intertwined.

1.Expectations too high

2. Money (again)

3. Players pushed so hard it's hard to maintain such a level.

4. Players arriving back late.

5. Injuries.

6. The dog ate it.

7. It's in the post, promise.

8. I'm sure I had it a moment ago, let me just check my other pockets.

Added a couple for next year.

Tom, I'd argue that those dealing above him have done a much better job in lowering this great football club's expectations than Rafa has.

We've had a terrible season, Rafa is the manager and has to take responsibility for that. I do not think we where equipped to win the league, balancing the books last summer when we should have been putting funds in to building on last season ensured that. But we still should have been atleast comfortably in the top 4 and the league and cup (Europa apart) performances simply have not been good enough. I don't think any supporter of Rafa, myself included, would deny that. He even came out before the Benfica match and stated he's made some big mistakes this season, so he knows that too.

But what do people expect him to say? It's clear a hell of a lot of shit is going on at our club that us lot here don't have a clue about, and I fail to see how that cannot seep down in to the playing staff and management. It's been 2 years of constant day to day shit and it's unfair to expect a human being not to be affected in some way by the constant insecurity and uncertainty.

The season has been absolutely dire, utter shite. Rafa needs to take responsibility for that, as do his players, but even more so the bastard cancerous tumours who have succeeded in sucking every bit of life out of the club from the day they walked in to the pathetic state we lie in now, whoring ourselves around the globe. I fail to see how people cannot recognise all these factors are intertwined.

I expect him to be honest, take a look at himself for once and say something along the lines of, "we had expectations to challenge strongly for the league this season. It's not been good enough. We're playing way below our capabilities and I take responsibility for that, but I'm doing all I can to put things right".

What's wrong with that?

I didn't "expect" us to win the league either this season. All I expected was for us to to at least perform at something even approaching our capability!

To be competing with the likes of birmingham and everton in the league whilst getting football lessons of the likes of Wigan, jis just a joke when we have some of the players we have at our disposal, and it has fuck all to do with not being able to compete with the likes of Chelsea in the transfer market or not having £60m a season to spend.

he needs to shut teh fuck up and take a good, long hard look at himself for a change.

JUST FUCK OFF!

I dunno what's crazier... Rafa's excuses or that you're still defending him.

I expect him to be honest, take a look at himself for once and say something along the lines of, "we had expectations to challenge strongly for the league this season. It's not been good enough. We're playing way below our capabilities and I take responsibility for that, but I'm doing all I can to put things right".

What's wrong with that?

I didn't "expect" us to win the league either this season. All I expected was for us to to at least perform at something even approaching our capability!

To be competing with the likes of birmingham and everton in the league whilst getting football lessons of the likes of Wigan, jis just a joke when we have some of the players we have at our disposal, and it has fuck all to do with not being able to compete with the likes of Chelsea in the transfer market or not having £60m a season to spend.

he needs to shut teh fuck up and take a good, long hard look at himself for a change.

Because that would be straight up, forward, and honest. Rafa is none of those things.