You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some muppet in the paper said it could last months. It won't. Muppets and their fucking scaremongering do my head in.

In theory it could - if the eruptions continue and the winds blow it this way then it could, but the odds on that happening, particularly the latter, are very small. I wouldn't be surprised to see disruptions until the end of the week. But I really can't see the airlines being able to last too much longer either and they'll be putting huge pressure on NATS to let them return to the skies.

Every team gets an equal share of around £22m. Then they get small bonuses for live matches they are featured in. I doubt the small bonus has much sway in the decision regarding Monday night kick off's.

Either way I'm sure the club stand to lose alot more money if the Atletico game is cancelled then they stand to gain from Monday night.

6 times we've had to play monday night, thats alot more than any other team, because were the most watched team they can charge more for TV advertising etc. fuckin disgrace been asked to play on a monday night before an away European Semi Final 3 days later, Inter had there game switched to Friday night and there at home tuesday, Atletico got to play last night so that gives them 2 more days to prepare,Parry/Purslow whoever we have in charge they still take it up the arse from the FA

Edited by Trucker Paddy

In theory it could - if the eruptions continue and the winds blow it this way then it could, but the odds on that happening, particularly the latter, are very small. I wouldn't be surprised to see disruptions until the end of the week. But I really can't see the airlines being able to last too much longer either and they'll be putting huge pressure on NATS to let them return to the skies.

Pfft, science. What has science ever done for us?

Champions League ties to go ahead as planned - UEFA Champions League - ESPN Soccernet

UEFA has confirmed that this week's Champions League ties will go ahead as planned despite the volcanic ash clouds restricting air travel around Europe.

The Icelandic volcano has caused flights to be cancelled in Europe

• Barca forced to travel by coach

• Hodgson: Hamburg tie in doubt

Barcelona will travel to Italy to face Inter Milan by coach on Sunday and expect to train on Monday ahead of Tuesday's game, while French side Lyon are set to make a similar journey to Germany to face Bayern Munich on Wednesday.

A statement on the UEFA website read: "Both of this week's UEFA Champions League semi-final first legs will go ahead as scheduled this week despite the current restriction on European air travel due to the volcanic cloud.

"The refereeing team that has been announced for the match on Tuesday is so far maintained and a backup appointment has been prepared in case it should prove necessary to make a replacement.

"Both visiting teams have taken all the necessary steps to rearrange their travel plans to ensure they reach their match venues on time. FC Barcelona are away to FC Internazionale Milano at 20.45CET on Tuesday and Olympique Lyonnais are at FC Bayern Munchen 24 hours later."

Liverpool and Fulham are due to travel to Spain and Germany respectively this week for their Europa League semi-final first legs, but UEFA has yet to decide whether those games will take place.

The statement continued: "A decision will be taken in the coming days about Thursday's two UEFA Europa League matches: Club Atletico de Madrid v Liverpool FC and Hamburger SV v Fulham FC, as well as for the UEFA Futsal Cup finals in Lisbon from Friday. However, Sunday's UEFA Women's Champions League semi-final between Umea IK and Lyon in Sweden was postponed as the French side were unable to travel."

Guest davelfc

""I think the Europa League is massive compared, say, to the Carling Cup because of the teams left," he said.

But any excuse to slate the manager eh?

""I think the Europa League is massive compared, say, to the Carling Cup because of the teams left," he said."

What are you suggesting Dave? Are you suggesting some Liverpool fan is trying to create a sensationilist headline to cause more arguing and division amongst other Liverpool fans? How very dare you Dave! That doesn't happen at all. No no no. We are a united bunch who respect each other and feel no need to always try and push an opinion no matter what level of twisting it takes.

Was the europa League massive at the start of the season?

Of course it fucking wasn't. It was a piss-take of a competition. We laughed our bollocks off at Everton (Comedy Thursdays...remember that?) for years about it.

So davelfc and JohnnyH, there is no twisting here. Just saying it how it is. It wasn't massive at the start of the season, wasn't massive at Christmas time and certainly isn't massive now.

Not even in comparison to the Carling Cup.

I didn't think rafa's heights of delusion could get any higher after guaranteeing us fourth spot earlier in the season, but now he says this is massive.

lols

Rafael Benitez believes Liverpool will land one of the most difficult trophies to win should they sign off the 2009-10 campaign with Europa League glory.

VIDEO: Rafa on Hammers clashThe Reds boss reckons the calibre of opposition his side will have to overcome makes it one of the toughest cup competitions around, with a potential final date with host club Hamburg on the horizon should they see off Atletico Madrid.

"I think the Europa League is massive compared, say, to the Carling Cup because of the teams left," he said.

"The best possible finish to the season for us would be winning the Europa League or being in the top four. If not, then you have to understand that a bad season is part of the game. I've not had many bad seasons, so that is a problem for me."

"We always try to win a trophy each season at this club. Sometimes it is not possible to achieve that, and you must accept it, but when you have a chance to win a trophy you should go for it."

If Liverpool are to have a chance of clinching the Europa League trophy for a record fourth time they will first have to see off Atletico Madrid in the last four.

Los Rojiblancos have proved to be something of a 'cup team' this season and Benitez is well aware of the threat they will pose over the two legs.

"They are a good team, they have very good players but they are a little bit inconsistent," Benítez says. "They are out of the league so they have been focusing on the cups. Sometimes they can play really well - they have reached the final of the Spanish Cup - for instance, but they can also lose to Xerez, at the bottom, as they did this week.

"Maybe they lose concentration, or perhaps they know they cannot achieve anything in the league now and save their best performances for the cups. We won't be underestimating them, not with Fernando Torres and Maxi Rodríguez in our side. We know Atlético really well."

He added: "Right now it would be important for everyone here to win a trophy."

Benitez: Why Europa's massive - Liverpool FC

Could quite as easily be talking about Liverpool in the emboldened part.

Johnny, why do you take it so personally and feel hard done by all the time?

I don't.

I've just always been of the opinion that if you can, you should never allow people to twist things to make things worse. Some people in all walks of life take great pleasure in trying to bad mouth people, or kick people when they are down, or talk people down as much as possible. These are ugly traits that I think people should stop when they hear and call people on when they are saying. We know Hermes hates Rafa and wants him gone, but he enters every single thread, no matter what, to write this in any way possible. So I decided a while ago that I wouldn't let him, or his type, get away with it but would either call them on it, or ask them to explain when they are very clearly trying to cause trouble. I don't think people trying to twist a story into such a headline about our manager should be left unchallenged. Of course discuss it, but that little post by Hermes was yet another example of a shit twisting of words I'd expect from the NotW or worse. I'll tell you if someone did that about Carra they would be fucking slaughtered for it on here, so why is it ok about others?

Plenty of people post negative things about Rafa and I read it, in some cases agree, and don't comment as Rafa has done enough wrong this year and in the past to justify the questions been asked of him. But I just don't feel that people who act like tools with tabloid headlines like Hermes has done should be allowed to go unchallenged.

If you don't like it, then just ignore me. If you agree with Hermes's take on the story with his one liner, then ignore me. It doesn't really matter.

Was the europa League massive at the start of the season?

Of course it fucking wasn't. It was a piss-take of a competition. We laughed our bollocks off at Everton (Comedy Thursdays...remember that?) for years about it.

So davelfc and JohnnyH, there is no twisting here. Just saying it how it is. It wasn't massive at the start of the season, wasn't massive at Christmas time and certainly isn't massive now.

Not even in comparison to the Carling Cup.

I didn't think rafa's heights of delusion could get any higher after guaranteeing us fourth spot earlier in the season, but now he says this is massive.

lols

Firslty, no one was referring to anything you said.

Secondly, you know fine fucking well I was talking about Hermes with his just saying that Rafa has said the Europa league is "Massive" and just happening to leave out the part where Rafa says "compared to the Carling Cup". That's the twisting I find pretty fucking shit from a Liverpool fan about the Liverpool manager.

If you were wondering why I "feel hard done by" - well I've answered that question from Brownie. Maybe now you can answer why you always feel the need to dive in on the defence all the time when anyone questions some Rafa put down?