You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange how everyone thought it was brilliant when we won it last, but suddenly now it's rubbish. I mean, crying all round when we go out of the League Cup, but the fastest way for the UEFA Cup to be shit is when we can use it to have a dig.

I wasn't interested in it at the start of the season, and I'm not now. One reason, UEFA have cheapened it by letting CL failures, like ourselves, in it. If we had qualified for it via the league and CL drop outs weren't in then I'd consider it a tournament worth winning.

I wasn't interested in it at the start of the season, and I'm not now. One reason, UEFA have cheapened it by letting CL failures, like ourselves, in it. If we had qualified for it via the league and CL drop outs weren't in then I'd consider it a tournament worth winning.

Winning the Champions League was worth fuck all if we want to apply those rules.

Or the League Cup or whatever the fuck they call it,

We do not make the rules and I am not saying I agree with them but it is the way it is.

Hamburg would be great, winning it like any competition would be great. How anyone can think different is beyond me.

Guest davelfc
Winning the Champions League was worth fuck all if we want to apply those rules.

We do not make the rules and I am not saying I agree with them but it is the way it is.

Hamburg would be great, winning it like any competition would be great. How anyone can think different is beyond me.

Exactly.

How does it apply to the Champions League in '05? And if you don't understand how I feel differently to you on the merits of a competition that rewards failure then that's up to you.

Agreed. Fucking hell some fans are far too fucking precious. A trophy is a trophy at the end of the day, even if it is a so called consolation prize. Its not ideal but we've got to make the most of a 'bad' situation.

In 4 or 5 years time who knows we could be desperate for the Uefa cup win or Carling Cup win.

We are and have been fucking spoilt rotten as fans. I'm of the opinion we take as much as we can while we are in a position to do so.

How does it apply to the Champions League in '05? And if you don't understand how I feel differently to you on the merits of a competition that rewards failure then that's up to you.

Well the Champions League was as you well know for well eh the Champions not finishing below that was well not in it.

The rules were changed and we play to them.

Like coming into that other cup in later rounds rules changed, we play to them.

I do understand how you feel but think you should apply those rules to all competitions if it gets to you so much.

Anyone who does not want us to win it or is not interested in it, I find strange but then I find a lot of our support strange.

That last game against Benfica was one of the most enjoyable games I have watched all season, so nights like that are not worth fuck all.

We just see things differently mate.

Agreed. Fucking hell some fans are far too fucking precious. A trophy is a trophy at the end of the day, even if it is a so called consolation prize. Its not ideal but we've got to make the most of a 'bad' situation.

In 4 or 5 years time who knows we could be desperate for the Uefa cup win or Carling Cup win.

We are and have been fucking spoilt rotten as fans. I'm of the opinion we take as much as we can while we are in a position to do so.

Glad someone feels like me and I find it hard to understand some of the mindset of some of our support.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I try to see both sides but no interest in the competition is baffling to say the least.

Strange how everyone thought it was brilliant when we won it last, but suddenly now it's rubbish. I mean, crying all round when we go out of the League Cup, but the fastest way for the UEFA Cup to be shit is when we can use it to have a dig.

A lot has changed in 9 years.

Yep, there is no way I'm denying that. I'm just saying that it isn't a massive competition in comparison to the League Cup.

Well the Champions League was as you well know for well eh the Champions not finishing below that was well not in it.

The rules were changed and we play to them.

Like coming into that other cup in later rounds rules changed, we play to them.

I do understand how you feel but think you should apply those rules to all competitions if it gets to you so much.

Anyone who does not want us to win it or is not interested in it, I find strange but then I find a lot of our support strange.

That last game against Benfica was one of the most enjoyable games I have watched all season, so nights like that are not worth fuck all.

We just see things differently mate.

It's a competition and we should try and win it. But don't expect me to laud it as an achievement, it's not. Fulham winning it, having to go through those bizarre group stages and early rounds, that's an achievement. We turn up late and win it, it doesn't sit right.

It's a competition and we should try and win it. But don't expect me to laud it as an achievement, it's not. Fulham winning it, having to go through those bizarre group stages and early rounds, that's an achievement. We turn up late and win it, it doesn't sit right.

Ok I get that.

A lot of the way the game has gone does not sit right with me but I have to take it and live with it.

I felt a bit of apathy towards it when we dropped into it but I think half of that was down to putting in such shit show in the Champions League but once the games started my natural instincts kicked in.

The Benfica game was as I said one of the best games all season.

I just want to go to Hamburg and win the fucker.

A cup is a cup is a cup in my books. We play by the rules set out and try to win whatever we end up in.

A lot has changed in 9 years.

Yep, there is no way I'm denying that. I'm just saying that it isn't a massive competition in comparison to the League Cup.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other Cain, not that much in it. I mean can anyone honestly say that either trophy is head and shoulders above the other, I just do not see it.

Some one knock up a poll. I doubt there would be much in it and that would reflect the truth.

Guest PurpleNose

Much rather win this than the League Cup. But I'd still be happy to win the latter.

I've never understood why anyone would turn their nose up at any trophy.

I reckon the UEFA has lost a lot of lustre, as has the Carling Cup. Whereas the Champions League is probably harder to win these days.

In 1978 when we won the European Cup we played 3 ties to get to the final winning 4 games and losing 2.

We then beat the champions of Belgium in the final. Last year we played the champions of Belgium in the pre-qualifier.

I reckon the UEFA has lost a lot of lustre, as has the Carling Cup. Whereas the Champions League is probably harder to win these days.

In 1978 when we won the European Cup we played 3 ties to get to the final winning 4 games and losing 2.

We then beat the champions of Belgium in the final. Last year we played the champions of Belgium in the pre-qualifier.

Red Star will never win it again (damn war tribunials).

A Swiss team will never make the semi's again.

Makes me happy inside to know we turned over Belgian twats 30 some years apart...

Guest PurpleNose

Do you not think that money has just changed where all the good clubs are?

A Dynamo Kiev side of the 70s, for example, would have all the best Ukranian players. Whereas now they're scattered around Europe.

All the money, and therefore best players and coaches are now in a handful of leagues.

I think its slowly changing back. The Greek, Turkish, Russia and Ukranian leagues seem to be getting a bit stronger, and can attract a better quality of player than five to ten years ago. Whilst all of our clubs, and some Spanish ones, are heading towards going bust.

Platini for Premier League Chief Exec.

Much rather win this than the League Cup. But I'd still be happy to win the latter.

I've never understood why anyone would turn their nose up at any trophy.

Agreed. Some of the reactions from people are a bit too much "self-indulgent". We're too good for this or that.

Nonsense.

In order:

European Cup (aka Champions League)

League

UEFA Cup (aka Fairs Cup, aka Europa League)

FA Cup

League Cup (aka Rumbelows Cup, aka Milk Cup, ...)

And for the record, I would be thumping the air with joy if and when we win the League Cup again.

Do you not think that money has just changed where all the good clubs are?

A Dynamo Kiev side of the 70s, for example, would have all the best Ukranian players. Whereas now they're scattered around Europe.

All the money, and therefore best players and coaches are now in a handful of leagues.

I think its slowly changing back. The Greek, Turkish, Russia and Ukranian leagues seem to be getting a bit stronger, and can attract a better quality of player than five to ten years ago. Whilst all of our clubs, and some Spanish ones, are heading towards going bust.

Platini for Premier League Chief Exec.

Definitely has - but there's no way a team with 5 of the best Belgian players (to use your thinking) would ever at any point in history have been the second best team in Europe.