You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tomkins latest effort.

Juan Galonso

@paul_tomkins Torres was playing awful all game v Villa in Dec and scored in the last minute? He can pull rabbits out of hats, Ngog can't. Can't wait for my reply, to be published in the form of a 6 part book series.

Pretty hilarious given that Ngog is our top scorer this season despite playing pretty average.

Originally Posted by Gary Mac Legend

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Alonso never dreamed of playing for Madrid and he had his chance and turned it down to come to Liverpool where until his manager spat in his face and tried to sell him cut down price to bring in Barry, he was extremely happy and had not entertained any thoughts of leaving. He rightfully threw in his transfer request after his manager lost faith in him, tried to replace him and he was our player of the season. He has said on numerous occasions although he is happy to be in Madrid he didn't wish to leave Liverpool and it was the hardest decision he has ever had to make. He also refused to badmouth Rafa even though he had every right to do so.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't Alonso heavily linked with Madrid in the summer we signed him? He wanted to join them, Then it fell through and Rafa swooped in. Alonso was very average to poor for two seasons between 06-08. Barry was in the form of his life. If you can't see the sense in that, then jog on. He tried to replace Alonso, then Alonso decided to come into the form of his life, but would he have if Rafa hadn't tried to replace him? I'm sure if Rafa hadn't tried to replace him anyway, when Real Madrid came calling he would have left. He was always moaning about exchange rates and taxes, and how much money he loses compared to footballers playing in Spain. He was always gonna go regardless of what happened that summer anyway.

At no point did we have any chance of signing either and I was on to both before Rafa so does that mean I'm great as well?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

At no point did we have any chance of signing either? Are you having a fucking laugh? If we had the money, they'd have been Reds. Not Rafa's fault, but shows you he does have an eye for talent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Bought Alonso and Torres, fucked one over and took the joy out of playing football for the other in his second season. Fucked Keane over royally to prove a point and Aquilani, well that was just genius and in no way could anyone see a problem there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He bought them, therefore he spent those millions very well, don't change the topic. It was Rick Parry who signed Robbie Keane, I don't know if you have a short term memory, but Keane was so fucking wasteful in front of goal during his time here. He bottled it, Aquilani was a catastrophic blunder no-one can defend. But every manager has their big money flops, How much did Slur spend on Anderson and Reservatov, how much did Wenger spend on the likes of Jeffers and Nasri. Look at Maureen, how much did he spend on Mancini and Pandev at Inter. Did he take the joy out of playing football for Torres when we were flying and challenging for the league in his second season? Which at the end of he signed a new contract? Where the fuck do you get this shit from?!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason Rafa couldn't win the prem is because he was all about being solid, compact and taking no risks. That might work in Spain where his only threat was Real Madrid at a time they weren't at their best but over here United will push you right till the end. What he did in Spain was give a team a fighting chance and hope Real imploded which they did. Fair play he backed the right move there but that wasn't the same tactic we needed over here.

His overly cautious play and his downright stupidity to tell the whole squad (WHEN THEY WERE TOP OF THE LEAGUE) that basically other than Gerrard, Torres and Reina if he had cash they'd all be replaced. SMOOTH. No way that was going to backfire. If it was a tactic it worked on ONE player as far as I could see, Benayoun went from being a sulking moaning useless muppet to a quality player who was determined to show his worth. A true man manager however would have known that what he was doing was a massive risk and would not even come close to paying off.

Listen to this, HODGSON IS JUST AS NEGATIVE IF NOT MORE THAN RAFA BENITEZ! I'm sick of the negative football argument, Hodgson is as bad. So you should fuck off with that bollocks, we will play negative counter attacking football under Roy all season, more so than Benitez even. Dire rubbish, you think Roy knows how to manage at this level!? Fuck right off, he'll play cautious football cause it's what he knows best.

Look at us on Monday, dire. You think Roy's arm around the shoulder approach is going to yield results? We're talking about grown men here, not 12 year olds. Rafa's approach failed did it? Were the players upset when we battered Real Madrid 4-0? Man Utd 4-1? Chelsea 2-0? Put four past Arsenal and Chelsea? Beat Villa 5-0? you're having a laugh, we hit our best form in those months. such a terrible approach from Rafa eh? It did pay off you muppet.

All those issues of negativity you suffered with Rafa, get ready, it'll be worse with Roy Hodgson.

------------------------------------------------------------------

If the UEFA Cup is your best argument then you're really missing the big picture on that one.

No, the UEFA Cup isn't my best argument, it's actually the weakest. Think about Blackburn? Think about the fact he's won nothing of note in a 25 year career.

Rafa took a team that was starting to be shown the way by Hector Cuper in the CL to the UEFA Cup final. Players like Casillas, Ayala, Albelda, Baraja, Aimar, Mista etc

He took a team with Traore, Biscan, Baros, Cisse, Nunez and other shite players to win the Champions League.

What did Roy do ? He took a team that without his guidance were favourites for relegation and in 2 years put them in the final of the UEFA Cup. If Rafa had got to the UEFA Cup final with Tenerife in the same time period then you'd have a comparisson! Of course logic flies out of the window where he is involved both for himself and his supporters of which you may well have noticed I am not one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What did Steve Mclaren do with Boro? These things happen occasionally, it's called a purple patch. We saw what happened when Steve managed england, it was disastrous.

A 7th placed manager who was sucking the life out of the club and wanting full control as well as spending half his time battling with the board was not good for us and he is not a loss. I don't think anyone could challenge for the league in our situation and fourth place would be fantastic and a real achievement thanks to the state Rafa and the board have left this club in! The fact you are talking about the league at all shows how bias and deluded your argument is. When Roy is able to buy Alonso and Torres then he's working under the same constraints. It isn't even close. So far he's been given 5m to spend on his squad, a squad that has holes in far too many places. A squad that needs a first choice holding midfielder, a left back and a striker as well as more quality on the wings if we are to play 4-4-2.

Rafa had far worse results than Roy has in his first 4 games so how about we give the lad a chance and let him build something before we start to knock it down.

He had to fight the board, what choice did he have!? They weren't allowing him any kind of transfer budget, and with-holding money that he himself had raised in player sales. Now, with Roy Hodgson, every other day we get "I'm not aware of what's going there, ask Cecil. Cecil this, Cecil that! Fuck off Roy, you're the manager supposedly! We went from a manager who wanted to sign some of the best players around Europe, to a manager content to sign Paul Konchesky and Luke Young! Can you see the utter disgrace in that?! Look at how much of a step back we've taken.

Rafa took over a far worse squad than Roy has. Roy sign Alonso and Torres!? Fuck off, even if he did have the money. He'd sign a Kevin Davies and Paul Konchesky. You think the likes of Fernando Torres and Xabi Alonso would sign for Roy Hodgson? His own words, that it's best he doesn't spend any money and it would be advantageous!? I'm sorry what? He's just Cecil's mouthpiece, wonderful, we have a yes man.

Another point, we have no quality on either wing, why the fuck did he think 4-4-2 would work!?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Finishing 7th, out two top players considering their futures (how many think Torres and Gerrard would be here now if Rafa was? Yeah all was great before Rafa left and it's clearlly the 4 games in charge Roy has had that have killed us.

I really don't know, nor do you. One thing is fact, I'd be much more confident about getting into the top four if Rafa Benitez was still our manager, than Roy Hodgson.

Going from Benitez to Hodgson, is the managerial equivalent of going from Torres to Darren Bent.

I agree with a lot of what Tomkins says there especially about Andy Gray who clearly hated Benitez and his ways (Gerrard in the hole, zonal marking etc)

I don't think insua is better than agger at left back.

I think Roy needs to make the Gerrard, Cole, Torres axis work very quickly (difficult when Gerrard and Torres are out tomorrow and Cole is suspended til the united game) or he should abandon it and go back to Gerrard supporting Torres and cole out wide.

I don't know why people get all heated up about Andy Gray, he's got his opinions, some of them wrong. Some of them great, especially when he called Pepe Reina the best keeper in the league since he arrived.

He also said we should play hard ball over Mascherano & that he's worth double the £12m bid.

Gary Mac Legend you are the ill informed angry brother of Paul Tomkins, Nobby Tomkins I think I shall call you.

I claim my 5 Rafa Pesetas (for when he rules the world ala M. Bison)

Rafa didn't want Aguero and he wasn't even in the race for Pato as Pato was dreaming of Milan from day one due to the brazilian contingent. You haven't got a fuckin jar of glue lad.

Aguero begged for Liverpool to come and get him!

Talking of Darren Bent as a bad option.... who did Rafa go after again?

Gary Mac Legend you are the ill informed angry brother of Paul Tomkins, Nobby Tomkins I think I shall call you.

Rafa didn't want Aguero and he wasn't even in the race for Pato as Pato was dreaming of Milan from day one due to the brazilian contingent. You haven't got a fuckin jar of glue lad.

There's a whole host of wrong in that post.

Of course Rafa wanted Aguero. He sung his praises on more than one occasion, but went to Atleti for 20 million, so we couldn't sign him.

No idea about Pato, but then neither have you and you're just using your hatred of all things Rafa to automatically discount it.

Darren Bent we never tried to sign.

Rafa couldn't get Aguero or Pato because of the lack of finances. Meaning he does have an eye for talent, but was often financially hamstrung.

At least he had his eyes on these players, Roy has been in for Luke Young, Paul Konchesky and Carlton Cole. Fucking disgraceful, if Rafa was in for these players, he'd be destroyed.

WrongIslander, I suspect your the illegitimate son of Christian Purslow, I shall call you Cecil Jr.

With the form both have been in the last year, you're right

Right, if you'd be happy with that swap then fair enough. Anyone else here happy to swap Bent for Torres?