You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tomkins latest effort.

Juan Galonso

Rafa couldn't get Aguero or Pato because of the lack of finances. Meaning he does have an eye for talent, but was often financially hamstrung.

At least he had his eyes on these players, Roy has been in for Luke Young, Paul Konchesky and Carlton Cole. Fucking disgraceful, if Rafa was in for these players, he'd be destroyed.

WrongIslander, I suspect your the illegitimate son of Christian Purslow, I shall call you Cecil Jr.

Right, if you'd be happy with that swap then fair enough. Anyone else here happy to swap Bent for Torres?

Just let me get this right because seriously I can't imagine you are this deluded but it seems to be so.

You think the only reason we arn't sat here now with Aguero and Pato is because we didn't have the cash?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1078999/I-right-sign-Argentina-hotshot--Liverpool-boss-Rafa-believes-Aguero-risk.html

Damn those pesky facts. Of course Rafa did all he could to get him ...

He went in for Young as COVER, which he would have been good for on both sides and he's a better fullback than Dan Agger for a kick off.

Roy identified 10 players going to the world cup that he wanted that weren't Konchesky, Young or Cole and yet he didn't have the money.... so other than he's had fuck all time or money in comparisson compared to Rafa how is it different?

Of course we all know Nunez, Josemi, Lucas etc show just what an eye for talent Rafa had at the other end of the market.

You're fucking clueless lad, when you arn't stating pure speculation as fact you're moving the goalposts. When Roy has had full control of the club and taken them to SEVENTH, then he will be equally as bad an appointment. When he's had even a glimpse of the cash poor old Rafa got and wasted, then he can be bitched at.

4 fucking games, you complete and utter wanker,

How? You're just full of shit. Like a jilted lover, fuck off to Inter.

How? Are you being serious!? Benitez is a world class manager, who's won the biggest trophies in world football. Now managing the best team in the world.

Roy Hodgson has never won a trophy worth mentioning, has only ever gotten close to the UEFA Cup twice. Rafa reached 2 CL finals. Roy was managing Fulham.

In contrast, Torres is in the top 5 best strikers in world football, had a poor year, but form is temporary. Bent had a great year and is flavour of the month.

Rafa is in the top 5 best managers in world football. We had a poor season, Roy Hodgson in contrast, had a great year in Europe and is flavour of the month.

Therefore, getting rid of Rafa for Roy is the equivalent of Torres for Bent. Yes, Bent scored more goals in the league last year and Torres didn't have his best year, but at the end of the day who the fuck in their right mind would see this as a smart move to swap an elite striker for Darren Bent? To swap an elite manager for Roy Hodgson?

How? Are you being serious!? Benitez is a world class manager,

He was.

who's won the biggest trophies in world football.

Couldn't win the Premier League.

Now managing the best team in the world.

Have a bubble.

You Rafaites seem unable to slate Roy without bringing Rafa into it.

Just let me get this right because seriously I can't imagine you are this deluded but it seems to be so.

You think the only reason we arn't sat here now with Aguero and Pato is because we didn't have the cash?

I was right not to sign Argentina hotshot Aguero - Liverpool boss Rafa | Mail Online

Damn those pesky facts. Of course Rafa did all he could to get him ...

He went in for Young as COVER, which he would have been good for on both sides and he's a better fullback than Dan Agger for a kick off.

Roy identified 10 players going to the world cup that he wanted that weren't Konchesky, Young or Cole and yet he didn't have the money.... so other than he's had fuck all time or money in comparisson compared to Rafa how is it different?

Of course we all know Nunez, Josemi, Lucas etc show just what an eye for talent Rafa had at the other end of the market.

You're fucking clueless lad, when you arn't stating pure speculation as fact you're moving the goalposts. When Roy has had full control of the club and taken them to SEVENTH, then he will be equally as bad an appointment. When he's had even a glimpse of the cash poor old Rafa got and wasted, then he can be bitched at.

4 fucking games, you complete and utter wanker,

So you agree that he was interested in these players? Therefore he had his eye on some the worlds best young talent.

Nunez, Josemi, , all cost how much!? How much would Roy have spent on Young, Konchesky and Jones? Lucas isn't a poor signing either, he's a developing young player who's put in some very good performances for us. I suppose just cause Rafa signed him he's gash? I suppose you'll find flaws with the Torres, Reina, Agger signings? Oh wait, you're one of those fans, when we beat Real Madrid 4-0 you take it for granted, when we lose to Pompey you go mad. You probably mung out all day in front of Sly Sports News. Shit, plastic fan you are! Don't give the manager any credit unless Sky Sports or Talkshite do.

When Roy wins the Champions League and FA Cup, breaks our league points tally record twice and reaches another champions League final and semi-final, then he would have been an equally great appointment you fuck face.

Do you think with £20 million, Roy would sign a Torres, or a Kevin Davies? Do you think a Torres would sign for Roy Hodgson? If you think Roy Hodgson is going improve us on last season, get ready for a big disappointment.

He was.

I suppose by your same logic, Gerrard 'was' a world class midfielder and Torres 'was' a world class striker. After last season, not anymore I guess. Maybe you now also think Reina's gaff prone after the Arsenal game.

Couldn't win the Premier League

Inherited a far worse team and had much less money than the two teams who have since he's been here. He came closer than anyone since Kenny. With Tom and George, just what did you fucking expect you spoilt cunt? He won us a Champions League we certainly didn't deserve or think we had any chance of, and got us to another final and semi-final.

Have a bubble.

Haha are you being fucking serious! He's managing a team that just won every trophy they possibly can. The treble namely. Best team in the world.

You Rafaites seem unable to slate Roy without bringing Rafa into it.

You're a fucking hypocrite then, you can't praise Roy without slating Rafa.

So you agree that he was interested in these players? Therefore he had his eye on some the worlds best young talent.

So now Rafa employing scouts to tell him about players and him deciding they arn't good enough or too much of a risk is another accolade we should praise him for? Fucking hell lad are you actually PT?

Nunez, Josemi, , all cost how much!? How much would Roy have spent on Young, Konchesky and Jones? Lucas isn't a poor signing either, he's a developing young player who's put in some very good performances for us. I suppose just cause Rafa signed him he's gash? I suppose you'll find flaws with the Torres, Reina, Agger signings? Oh wait, you're one of those fans, when we beat Real Madrid 4-0 you take it for granted, when we lose to Pompey you go mad. You probably mung out all day in front of Sly Sports News. Shit, plastic fan you are! Don't give the manager any credit unless Sky Sports or Talkshite do.

Nunez, Josemi and Lucas cost a damn site more than Roy has had to spend. There's no way any of those players would have been worse than the three named and if you are suggesting they would then you are a joke. There is a flaw with Torres, it's a pretty obvious one. Rafa played him like Drogba when he's clearly not that kind of player. This has taken its toll and with the lack of protection from refs (cos he doesn't play for United) teams take turns to kick the shit out of him while Rafa ran him into the ground as a lone striker with very little support.

Of course anyone that disagrees with your so succint and well informed arguments must get their knowledge from Sky..... nice comeback and not at all cliched in anyway, well done.

When Roy wins the Champions League and FA Cup, breaks our league points tally record twice and reaches another champions League final and semi-final, then he would have been an equally great appointment you fuck face.

Let's see what Rafa was left with. Dudek, Riise, Hyypia, Carragher, Finnan, Kewell, Hamann, Gerrard, Cisse, Baros, Sinama Pongolle .... not really anywhere near as bad as people suggest is it.

Now what has Roy got? A battered Torres who hasn't been fit for a game yet. A Steven Gerrard who looks around at the squad Rafa left and probably cries himself to sleep and Reina. Agger could be quality, Skrtel can't head a fucking ball, Johnson was a huge waste of money, we have no left back, Mascherano is still riding Rafa's chorizo and is a bellend, Lucas (cheers Rafa), Aquilani (thanks again), Kuyt (fucking hell Rafa three awesome signings in a row), Babel (a player Rafa couldn't get to play but I believe Roy might) and Jovanovic (probably the best thing he inherited that wasn't Gerrard, Reina or Torres but will need time).

Roy has had 4 games at a time when this club is at its lowest ebb in part thanks to Senor Benitez and you want to talk about 5 seasons? Notice you don't have much to talk about the more money and control Rafa got! Probably a coincidence though.

Do you think with £20 million, Roy would sign a Torres, or a Kevin Davies? Do you think a Torres would sign for Roy Hodgson? If you think Roy Hodgson is going improve us on last season, get ready for a big disappointment.

I think given he's never had 20 million you haven't got a fucking clue. I don't think for a second this has anything to do with "A Torres signing for Roy" it's whether they would sign for Liverpool and at the moment if they had any ambition I couldn't fault them to sign for a club in a better position even if Rinus Michels rose from the dead and took charge of us you whopper.

Listen to yourself, get ready for a big dissapointment. 4 games you cock. 4. You've had them knives out ready and sharpened from day 1 regardless, you're the worst kind of Rafa cock sucker.

I think given he's never had 20 million you haven't got a fucking clue. I don't think for a second this has anything to do with "A Torres signing for Roy" it's whether they would sign for Liverpool and at the moment if they had any ambition I couldn't fault them to sign for a club in a better position even if Rinus Michels rose from the dead and took charge of us you whopper.

Listen to yourself, get ready for a big dissapointment. 4 games you cock. 4. You've had them knives out ready and sharpened from day 1 regardless, you're the worst kind of Rafa cock sucker.

That squad Houllier left Rafa with was a shambles. One world class player, Gerrard. Rafa leaves behind Gerrard, Torres, Reina, Agger, Mascherano and a supporting cast of Kuyt, Jova, Skrtel and Johnson. Not to mention he completed reformed our academy, gonna give him credit there? I fear for the academy, Roy loves his Journeymen. Paul Konchesky and Brad Jones. £6 million roughly if Konchesky goes through. What do you think?

Sharpening the knives? I don't need to. I'm depressed, this is a massive step back. You know it and so do I, yes I'll be disappointed, because with Roy Hodgson we're gonna fall well behind the top four. I guarantee you by Christmas we'll be in the mid-table, and every game the camera will be shifting to a clueless and shell-shocked Roy Hodgson. It's gonna be a fucking long season and we will finish 8th-11th in the end I reckon. We'll be out of the race for fourth place by November I should think.

I'm sorry, no matter how you spin it this summer's transfer business has been disastrous, our squad is more depleted than before and we're losing a world class player and replacing him with Poulsen, we have a far inferior manager and Torres looks off of the pace. Oh, by the way, nice of you to use Torres as a stick to beat Rafa with. Just how fucking desperate and clueless are you!? I'm sorry, if you think Roy Hodgson is a top four manager you're in for a rude awakening.

That squad Houllier left Rafa with was a shambles. One world class player, Gerrard. Rafa leaves behind Gerrard, Torres, Reina, Agger, Mascherano and a supporting cast of Kuyt, Jova, Skrtel and Johnson. Not to mention he completed reformed our academy, gonna give him credit there? I fear for the academy, Roy loves his Journeymen. Paul Konchesky and Brad Jones. £6 million roughly if Konchesky goes through. What do you think?

Sharpening the knives? I don't need to. I'm depressed, this is a massive step back. You know it and so do I, yes I'll be disappointed, because with Roy Hodgson we're gonna fall well behind the top four. I guarantee you by Christmas we'll be in the mid-table, and every game the camera will be shifting to a clueless and shell-shocked Roy Hodgson. It's gonna be a fucking long season and we will finish 8th-11th in the end I reckon. We'll be out of the race for fourth place by November I should think.

I'm sorry, no matter how you spin it this summer's transfer business has been disastrous, our squad is more depleted than before and we're losing a world class player and replacing him with Poulsen, we have a far inferior manager and Torres looks off of the pace. Oh, by the way, nice of you to use Torres as a stick to beat Rafa with. Just how fucking desperate and clueless are you!? I'm sorry, if you think Roy Hodgson is a top four manager you're in for a rude awakening.

Get in the red.

Guest PurpleNose
If I tell you Roy Hodgson is a better manager than Rafa Benitez will I get some green?

I'd expect you'd already got through a fair bit.

THIS.

I think many are believing in hodgson more out of hope that true belief. I can't believe anyone genuinely thinks we have a great manager at the helm. He's not shit, but he's just average, and average is all we will achieve with him. I'm not going to go into a rafa vs hodgson debate. Rafa has gone now regardless of whether you rated him or not, but with hodgson don't be expecting any miracle, but plenty of disappointments.

Exactly no one has much of an issue with Rafa going it was always bout the class of the replacement and Roy is not on the same level acheivement wise and we requires a manager capable of taking us forward not sideways. To compare them is pointless, Rafa was right for us at the time when appointed, probably sacked rightly if the many rumours are true and couldn't progress but we needed to get someone as good or better and Roy is not, the 'English manager' brigade and the media will be happy as well as Purlsow for getting his man but not much else.

We should have gone for Kenny, really that is who Roy should be compared with, or Koeman or anyone else we could or should have gone for but to compare Roy and Rafa is stupid and pointless it misses the point. Surely neither are the answer?

I liked Rafa and I like and hope Roy succeeds for everybody's sake.

But when I look back at the squad Rafa inherited from Houillier I bet Roy Hodgson wishes he had a squad like that to begin with.

Rafa has left us with an abundance of defensive talent and Torres apart,a bit of an iffy bunch of attacking talent.

The problem we've got now is that to bring attacking talent in to compliment the defensive players costs an arm and a leg and we just don't have the finances to bring top quality in any more.

When Rafa came in at first he could at least shop at a Sainsburys level while the mancs and Chelsea were shopping at Harrods.

Roy is now shopping at Aldi and Netto,while even City shop at Harrods.

Exactly no one has much of an issue with Rafa going it was always bout the class of the replacement and Roy is not on the same level acheivement wise and we requires a manager capable of taking us forward not sideways. To compare them is pointless, Rafa was right for us at the time when appointed, probably sacked rightly if the many rumours are true and couldn't progress but we needed to get someone as good or better and Roy is not, the 'English manager' brigade and the media will be happy as well as Purlsow for getting his man but not much else.

We should have gone for Kenny, really that is who Roy should be compared with, or Koeman or anyone else we could or should have gone for but to compare Roy and Rafa is stupid and pointless it misses the point. Surely neither are the answer?

nail hit firmly on the head there

Rafas time was up, it was safe to say his course had run

sacking Rafa was not the mistake,

the mistake, imo, was employing hodgson,

and no, not because we lost the other night,

because he's an unproved manager, and he's too bloody old.

if you've been a journeyman manager thats mainly fought relegation and managed midtable teams with no relative ambitions, then you simply have no idea/experience of what it takes to manage a club at the higher echelon