You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

I've started boxing again 3 times a week for the last few weeks. I've forgetton how quick you drop weight with the right diet whilst doing it. Going to start doing some weight training within the next few weeks to out some muscle back on. Seriously if anyone is looking to lose weight quick, meet sound people and just become generally fit. Get down your local boxing club a couple of time a week and maybe some weights or a 5k run in between.

I've started boxing again 3 times a week for the last few weeks. I've forgetton how quick you drop weight with the right diet whilst doing it. Going to start doing some weight training within the next few weeks to out some muscle back on. Seriously if anyone is looking to lose weight quick, meet sound people and just become generally fit. Get down your local boxing club a couple of time a week and maybe some weights or a 5k run in between.

I've put on shit loads of weight since I'd stopped going to kick boxing, I've moved too and there is almost nothing around here exercise wise that even slightly appeals. I started going to a fat club a couple of days before Christmas, and whilst i'm not following the plan, the thought of Marjorie mentioning even the slightest gain has made sure I've not put a pound on since, and i just try to make sure i lose a pound or two every other week or so. 

It's not doing too bad, just short of a stone off so far. I'd still rather do some training with people than deny myself chocolate though. Rural living sucks sometimes. 

• Upvote 1

I've put on shit loads of weight since I'd stopped going to kick boxing, I've moved too and there is almost nothing around here exercise wise that even slightly appeals. I started going to a fat club a couple of days before Christmas, and whilst i'm not following the plan, the thought of Marjorie mentioning even the slightest gain has made sure I've not put a pound on since, and i just try to make sure i lose a pound or two every other week or so. 

It's not doing too bad, just short of a stone off so far. I'd still rather do some training with people than deny myself chocolate though. Rural living sucks sometimes. 

Would you ever do P90x, Insanity or T25? You can download them for free and do them in your living room? I know it's not the same as getting out to exercise but it's an option.

Ye that's the appeal to me with boxing. It's all old school. You pay a fiver and get some old school boxing traininer basically shouting at you for an hour. Training with and around people is defo the best for me personally. Get yourself out into the hills rocky style with a snide leather jacket on and carry some logs

Would you ever do P90x, Insanity or T25? You can download them for free and do them in your living room? I know it's not the same as getting out to exercise but it's an option.

Exactly what I was going to say.  P90X or even P90X3 are all you need to do and you'll add some muscle as well.  I did Insanity for ages and did about 10 weeks of T25 but P90X is a different thing all together.  I've achieved far greater results with it.

P90X2 is supposed to be more cardio focused so I haven't bothered with that.

All I'll say is I'm 5'8", and if I was at 82kg, I'd be heading to the chipper for a celebratory bag o' chips.

Trying to get stuck into Carb Nite solution. Can't seem to get a straight run of 9 days though. Always seem to have something on at the minute. That said, I've unofficially started it today (using the Baby Jesus as inspiration!), so if I can get through this weekend, next Saturday will be my Carb nite, and I'll be sorted.

Have the pdf of the book downloaded if anyone wants it. Seems to make sense as a concept, and seems to be backed up with a lot of citations. But shur everything makes sense to someone.

OK, what's this P90X lark?

I do a few hours of basic stuff, a few hours a week chopping wood, clearing the garden ect but it's still boring and yeah, quite isolated. I figure I'll start going biking with the kids again after easter and give the Llandegla easy course a few runs to see if I fancy going out on the bike more. I just hate the sensation of my ovaries being forced up so they're parallel with my boobs.

OK, what's this P90X lark?

I do a few hours of basic stuff, a few hours a week chopping wood, clearing the garden ect but it's still boring and yeah, quite isolated. I figure I'll start going biking with the kids again after easter and give the Llandegla easy course a few runs to see if I fancy going out on the bike more. I just hate the sensation of my ovaries being forced up so they're parallel with my boobs.

Basically a home workout DVD, but much much more comprehensive than anything Davina McCall etc are going to bring out.

Insanity and P90x are intense

T25 is like the little brother. It'll still kick your ass though. 25 mins high intensity every day is more than most get.

Just cut out the shit in the week.

Yeah, I know.

Don't tell the wife I ever admitted to this, but I have little to no willpower. I'm always looking for the quick fix.

Plus, my life is a fair ol' rut at the minute. Up at 6.30 with the kids. Get their breakfasts and lunches ready, get them dressed and out to school on my way to work. Collect them on my lunchbreak then and drop them home to the baby sitter. Finish work at 5.30, and home by 6. Play with the lads until they go to bed at around 8, and then I've a couple of hours to myself. I eat on the go, and never really sit down for "a meal".

I know that's all only excuses like. Wish I had the get-up-and-go to sort myself out. Was down to 190lbs about 6 months ago, but I'm up at around 205 now again. Things are shit at home too (marriage on the rocks) and the only thing that's keeping me going is the kids.

So even though I want to sort myself out, I'm taking comfort in the shit food 'cause I've not much else!

That's the first time I ever wrote that down. Sucks.

• Upvote 3

Basically a home workout DVD, but much much more comprehensive than anything Davina McCall etc are going to bring out.

Insanity and P90x are intense

T25 is like the little brother. It'll still kick your ass though. 25 mins high intensity every day is more than most get.

I wouldn't bother with T25.  P90X3 is 5minutes longer per day and a far better program/routine.

Insanity is basically high intensity cardio and is very hard on your joints as it requires loads of jumping.  So if you have knee/ankle issues etc be careful.

I'll take a look at the videos when I get home. I must admit, if I'm doing it on my own it'll be the shorter one, I've much less stamina when there's no one to push me.

Lario, separation and divorce are ace for weight loss. It was quite the quick fix too from what I can remember.

• Upvote 1

I'll take a look at the videos when I get home. I must admit, if I'm doing it on my own it'll be the shorter one, I've much less stamina when there's no one to push me.

The long ones can get mind numbing over time especially because you have 3months of them even though they change near enough each month.

Cheers Melons.

I'd rather stay fat and married though!

been there, done that....

i have lost close to four stone in 3-4 months, but found a little backsliding the last couple of weeks. in two weeks gained two pounds so decided that i need to go back to what was working before.

I begged her to take me back.....

biggest thing is routine, i fell out of a routine of getting up early and going the gym due to christmas holidays, frequent travel in january as i was between houses sorting shit out and travel for some of the ice hockey stuff i do.

also stopped entering in myfitnesspal so going back to that as well.

• Upvote 1

Chin up Lario mate

Master of your own destiny and all that

Cheers Stig.

Tis the kids that I'm worried about. Couldn't give a shit about myself really. If they weren't around, I'd be gone ages ago.

But shur we all have our crosses to bear! Back on topic!

Do all these workout use equipment? Any of them just use body weight?

P90X is either Weights and a Pull-up bar or you can just use resistance bands.  I prefer the former personally.  Most of the exercises are body weight though.  There's a hell of a lot of push-ups etc.

• Upvote 1

Just found this on it:

I do P90X (and I think Im the only one on here answering that has). Ill tell you what I have found.

First, let me qualify, Ive been in gyms/bodybuilding programs for the last twenty years. Nine times out of ten, if you have heard of it, Ive done it, seen it as B.S or the merits of it, and included it into my program or disregarded it based on that.

On my own research, in the past I have managed to get my bodyfat down to 3 percent, and very muscular. So partially what the above person said is true...you can get the low bodyfat on your own. But thats about where it ends.

But please keep in mind, current bodybuilding methods and previous ones from the seventies, when ARNOLD was doing it, havent changed much. Oh they tweak the concept from time to time, but basically all the information you are getting about exercise and diet, even from your doctor, the foundations of them are from a bunch of overdrugged, steroid ridden folks who had little information on diet and its short, or long term effect. Bodybuilding in and of itself is a short term thing, over time the diet ruins your body (keep thinking you can eat in exess of a pound of protein a day and not ruin your kidneys, or do the same concentration exercise over twenty years and not ruin your joints)...they dont have anything to do with health, more the illusion of health. Most bodybuilders look and feel like sh*t during competitions.

P90X can give you NOT as much muscle, but a very strong muscle base...but your fat is burned from athleticism, not B.S. Honestly if you consider yourself in EXTREME shape, I dont know how you could have not done either P90X or Crossfit at this point. You have to really dig deep to do either of those. Again, you will get ripped...but you will be STRONG.

Since Ive started P90X, Ive abandoned the idea of going to a gym altogether (mind you, twenty year vet)...which should tell you really how effective P90X is.

Here is where the warning comes in. Coming to a gym four days a week will NOT physically prepare you for P90X. Its hard to have workouts constantly rotate so you are burned into the ground each and every workout. Make no mistake..P90X is not some B.S. routine "cut to video for profit"...its serious....SERIOUS stuff. Again, you get cut, but no shortcuts...no breaks. You earn it all...and honestly, it hurts.

Anyone else who tells you otherwise, honestly, and I mean this with no disrespect intended, has no clue what they are talking about. You cant tell from an infomercial how hard it is. Honestly it was a friend of mine who bought them...I just wanted to try it to see what it was like and take a break from the gym. I found myself gassing out (At the time I could do a treadmill for an hour with an high incline) in a matter of minutes.

Key thing. When you move one muscle in a fixed motion, it doesnt take much effort (say shoulder flies). But when you do the same motion while stepping back into a lunge...your shoulders still develop...but your nervous system goes BEZERK trying to give you the energy to do it...and calories fly off.

Anyone who doubts...good luck with that lunging dumbbell fly.