You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gus Hiddink Agent has been approached by LFC?

Spy Bee

Don't see anybody on this thread mentioning Rafa, just questioning whether or not a proposed replacement is the right man for the job!

You're right, there's no bias informing anyone's opinion at all. And whilst I've got your attention, can I interest you in this fine piece of property at a knockdown price?

Brooklyn-Bridge-1.jpg

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rafa is a better manager but i'd take Hiddink if Rafa goes cos i think we'd end up with someone a lot less proven than him.

Rafa is here to stay which makes this and all the other Rafa threard that are associated with his departure, from the start of the internet till the end of time moot.

Yep, that's him. You forgot to mention that he won 6 league titles in Holland with PSV, 4 domestic cups with PSV and a European Cup with them too. Also won the FA Cup with Chelsea.

Managed to make South Korea finish 4th in the 2002 World cup too.

The south Korea job was an over achievment and should be credited. But come on, Kuyt and babel were good in Holland. Using Hiddinks achievments there mean shit because of this.

Hiddink's record certainly isn't unblemished but he's not without success. One thing that would work in his favor is his reputation: his profile would likely mean that the more senior players would not have to be won over as they would if a younger, less successful, less high profile manager were appointed.

His age goes against him, but more than that the fact that he gives off the air of a man who is never really 'at home' anywhere he goes. Even if he had some success, I don't think he'd stick around very long.

You're right, there's no bias informing anyone's opinion at all. And whilst I've got your attention, can I interest you in this fine piece of property at a knockdown price?

Oohh get you!

I think you will find I bought that bridge two years ago, so screw you!

I like him, but it would be a little bit like Joe Mercer taking over the England job - a likeable bloke, good man-manager, steadies the ship but without a long-term ambition. Actually, that's unfair, because Hiddink would expect to do more, but I still don't think he'd last that long.

To be fair. That had nothing to do with him.

Also, he only managed third in the league (behind us) and semis of the CL. He is also 63. I really don't get the big clamour for him.

Only managed third after a poor reign from Scolari.

Only the semis of the CL after his Chelsea beat us in the quarters. And did not make the final due to a last minute wonder goal from Iniesta.

63 yeah but just looks as healthy as Rafa. What age is Ferguson and who won the league last year. He seems to get the ball rolling fairly quick too and the Chelsea players really warmed to him. I'd give him a three year deal from june..

I like him, but it would be a little bit like Joe Mercer taking over the England job - a likeable bloke, good man-manager, steadies the ship but without a long-term ambition. Actually, that's unfair, because Hiddink would expect to do more, but I still don't think he'd last that long.

I don't think he'd last a long time because of his age. I think he'd do a very good job for us though, whilst he could. We just can't expect a guy to manage into his seventies.

One thing that would work in his favor is his reputation: his profile would likely mean that the more senior players would not have to be won over as they would if a younger, less successful, less high profile manager were appointed.

His age goes against him, but more than that the fact that he gives off the air of a man who is never really 'at home' anywhere he goes. Even if he had some success, I don't think he'd stick around very long.

That's a good point actually, hadn't thought of it like that.

So long as he stays around long enough to teach Carragher that will be fine with me.

Anyway, i think the main reason why he will not end up here is this piece from the article.

"Hiddink's salary with Russia is £6.25m a year after tax, already exceeding the wage of England manager Fabio Capello, whose £6m a year will make him the highest-paid coach at the World Cup this summer.

But Van Nieuwenhuizen said: 'Hiddink has already received better financial proposes than he receives now with the Russia team, but we are not discussing them all the same."

To be fair. That had nothing to do with him.

Also, he only managed third in the league (behind us) and semis of the CL. He is also 63. I really don't get the big clamour for him.

He had nothing to do with South Korea making it to the semi finals of a World Cup?

Nothing at all?

This is the same Hiddink who couldn't get Russia to the World Cup and was sacked by both Real Madrid and Real Betis?

Getting sacked by RM does not really disqualify you from any job, though, does it? Capello got sacked there after winning the league, Heynckes after winning the CL, del Bosque after winning the league.

Rafa got sacked at Tenerife, I think, so what?

Coaches get sacked, it happens.

I am not sure I want Hiddink here but, on the whole, his managerial record is outstanding.

Your straw man is that people have only lost faith in Rafa this season and that no-one had any doubts before the "1/2 a season of funk".

Nope. That wasn't my intention at all. I, as I said, was just pointing out a different context into which you could put our current situation. Evaluate or ignore as you see fit.

Nope. That wasn't my intention at all. I, as I said, was just pointing out a different context into which you could put our current situation. Evaluate or ignore as you see fit.

It's obvious that Benitez has enjoyed some success at LFC, and in fact that's what has led me to back him in the past, despite concerns about his style of football and many of his management methods. People can put up with a lot whilst the team is successful, but when a decline occurs and the situation looks terminal then the doubts begin to look highly justified.

If I could see any small sign that he knew how to address this slump then I would not have come to the point where I no longer want him as manager, but it seems clear that for all his tactical elegance in the past he does not have much of a clue how to motivate a team. It's this more than any other of his flaws which leads me to think we could do better, because a large part of sporting excellence is motivation.

This also happens to be Hiddink's main strength as a manager, alongside a willingness to go for the throat.

I do believe it is UEM. But after 6 months at media darlings Chelsea, half our fanbase think he's the messiah.

I like Hiddink, but we are a totally different job from Chelsea last year. They werent anywhere near as bad a shape as we are. They had a big squad costing a shit load of money. They had just 6 months before took the league to the last game of the season and only lost the CL because Drogba is a cunt and Terry slipped. They had Drogba and Essien returning from Injury just as Hiddink came in, so they were going to improve anyway. I dont have much faith Stevie and Nando staying injury free. i think too many people are seeing he improved Chelsea, took them to 2nd and think it will be the same with us. We need massive investment in the squad and theres no chance of that happening in the current circumstances.