You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Aquilani

ReddOrDedd

Good long range shot, but then so did Xabi although he didn't use it enough. Rafa's problem with him will be getting the best out of him, he's very talented but not as talented as he himself thinks he is.

The issue in not whether Aquilani gives the team as much as Alonso, but whether Aquilani plus the player/s bought with the surplus cash will make the team better.

Remember, Xabi was going through the motions for 2 of the last 3 seasons until he was kicked up the arse by Rafa.

Haven't you heard? That's a MYTH! A MYTH I TELL YOU!

Having just accepted £30M from an organization that was founded by fascists I don't think we should be too surprised if we spend some of that money on bringing one of their ilk to our club.

I'm quite surprised by all this because I understood Lazio to be the more right wing club in Rome. Mind you, all Romans seem to have that Mussolini gene. How much shagging did that fat twat do during the war?

If he is a racist then its like Bowyer all over again.

Probably best to find out before we slag him off too much though eh? And he hasn't been accused of racism, just having a soft spot for Mussolini and not liking immigrants. no mention of racism.

No, Bowyer was a snarling little cunt who physically attacked someone in McDonalds, where he shouldn't have been in the first place. It's very poor quality food.

Aquilani, sad as it is, allegedly reveres a leader a depressingly large proportion of Italians still hold a candle for, and allegedly has views depressingly shared by 50 per cent of the population of the western world, at least. I'm not defending it, I'm not saying it's OK, but the fact is that Italian politics is a very strange world on a personal and national level that I'm guessing few of us understand. A lot of Italians are either fairly staunchly left or fairly staunchly right wing. Alberto's obviously just chosen the wrong path. But then maybe he had an uncle killed by the Briganti Rossi or his granddad was shot by the partisans. Maybe he's from a Trastevere slum rife with ethnic tensions in a country with a lot of illegal immigration, and his parents blamed the immigrants for their troubles. We don't know. I'm inclined to say that as long as he keeps his views to himself I'm not particularly fussed either way. I think if you did a political survey of most footballers the vast majority would probably hold ignorant, ill-informed views anyway. Again, I'm not saying it's right, but I suspect they don't really talk about it at training.

What happens when the press get hold of it? Well, the Mail and the Express will probably hail him as some kind of martyr and the Guardian will demand his immediate execution. The Independent will ask what his views on the fate of Chinese butterflies are. Besides, having right-wing sympathies has hardly hurt Fabio Capello, has it?

Nick, calm down with you? Recently you've been raging through the forum like an evil Danny La Rue on heat. One poster has mentioned his possible racist element and now it's fact? Let's welcome him and see what he's about. He'll be surrounded by new team mates, new ways of thinking. Fuck's sake.

Probably best to find out before we slag him off too much though eh? And he hasn't been accused of racism, just having a soft spot for Mussolini and not liking immigrants. no mention of racism.

I can just picture him on his first day at the newspaper kiosk in Melwood.

"I woulda likea to buya the howyousay 'Dailya Maila' pleasea."

Well considering we live in a country that has to the best of my knowledge an overwhelming fondness for a bigot such as Winston Churchil and an apartheid supporting Margaret Thatcher maybe we should take a little break from throwing accusations of racism around when support for particular leaders is reported. FFS!

Or are we suggesting that De Rossi's fondness for Mussolini has only just been discovered, hence scuppering any deal with Arsene Wenger!

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
In Spain they sell loads of stuff with Franco's picture on in souvenir shops.

They're pretty relaxed about fascism in Southern Europe. Pretty fucked up, when you think about it.

You can hardly imagine street salesmen peddling Hitler-lighters in Germany.

What, like this?

lighter_heydrich.jpg

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
No, Bowyer was a snarling little cunt who physically attacked someone in McDonalds, where he shouldn't have been in the first place. It's very poor quality food.

Aquilani, sad as it is, allegedly reveres a leader a depressingly large proportion of Italians still hold a candle for, and allegedly has views depressingly shared by 50 per cent of the population of the western world, at least. I'm not defending it, I'm not saying it's OK, but the fact is that Italian politics is a very strange world on a personal and national level that I'm guessing few of us understand. A lot of Italians are either fairly staunchly left or fairly staunchly right wing. Alberto's obviously just chosen the wrong path. But then maybe he had an uncle killed by the Briganti Rossi or his granddad was shot by the partisans. Maybe he's from a Trastevere slum rife with ethnic tensions in a country with a lot of illegal immigration, and his parents blamed the immigrants for their troubles. We don't know. I'm inclined to say that as long as he keeps his views to himself I'm not particularly fussed either way. I think if you did a political survey of most footballers the vast majority would probably hold ignorant, ill-informed views anyway. Again, I'm not saying it's right, but I suspect they don't really talk about it at training.

What happens when the press get hold of it? Well, the Mail and the Express will probably hail him as some kind of martyr and the Guardian will demand his immediate execution. The Independent will ask what his views on the fate of Chinese butterflies are. Besides, having right-wing sympathies has hardly hurt Fabio Capello, has it?

Right wing sympathies, is that why Beckh....

Oh, shit, I've already done that joke

Agree with you though, but don't expect the usual suspects to take any notice

There's a subtle difference, he might hate all immigrants, regardless of race. An equal opportunities bigot, if you like. 21st century progress, that.

I don't think it is that subtle at all. If you want to look at it coldly, and people have already mentioned Ryan Babel, the difference would be that he doesn't have a problem with him at all. Or Yossi Benayoun for that matter.

All this is based on a tiny little snippet anyway. As long as he doesn't start doing fascist salutes and mouthing off any unsavoury views he might hold, then I'm fine with him.

And another thing, a lot of people want the club to be sold to DIC, the very same country which refuses to allow Jews (possibly just Israelis) to enter the country!

Fair enough if he comes in blacked up, saying 'where am dat waty melon' maybe we might have a problem on our hands! But at the moment he just has an unhealthy fondness for a (deceased) former president!

As long as he doesn't start doing fascist salutes and mouthing off any unsavoury views he might hold, then I'm fine with him.

"Alberto, what are you doing?"

"I do a salute, no?"

"But that's not OK in this country."

"But Fernando, he do it, when he score. He slide on his knee, he raise his arm to show love of il duce, no?"