You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Players Who Have Proved You Wrong

Steve Holt

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the title suggests, any players that have signed for Liverpool who you thought would be shit and were great, or conversely who you thought would be great but were shit.

Robbie Keane - Thought he would be a much better signing than he turned out to be.

Dirk Kuyt - Yes there was a time when I was banging the "For fuck sake why do you keep playing Dirk Kuyt?" drum. Well and truly proven wrong about this lad. So many important goals, so many heroic performances.

Deffo disappointed in Keane, should have listened to my Irish friends on him.

And Cheyrou. Thought he was superb Vs Lazio in the preseason, having previously seen him a few times (bout 3) in his CL exploits that season, including the goal against the Mancs and on Eurosports French footie review.

Gary McAllister. I thought Houllier had gone mental signing a 36-year-old who, while consistent, had been less than stellar in the previous 10 years. For a couple of months I thought I was right. For the last few months of that season, I thought we had discovered the new Platini!

Gary Mac, back in the summer of 2000 I predicted on an internet Forum, that if we won anything that season we will look back on Gary Macs signing and its will have been instrumental in that success.

It may even have been this forum, though Im not sure it was, I remember Dancing Dave (RIP) being on there and a lady called Cyn. Id joined as kopite was on it, was this place around in 2000 ?

But anyway, what a dissapointment to get my one decent bit of spot on prediction in all those years ago. Since then, well .....

Gary Mac, back in the summer of 2000 I predicted on an internet Forum, that if we won anything that season we will look back on Gary Macs signing and its will have been instrumental in that success.

It may even have been this forum, though Im not sure it was, I remember Dancing Dave (RIP) being on there and a lady called Cyn. Id joined as kopite was on it, was this place around in 2000 ?

But anyway, what a dissapointment to get my one decent bit of spot on prediction in all those years ago. Since then, well .....

That sounds like RAOTL.

Burn him.

I see no one will admit they thought Pennant was going to be great for us so sorry for reminding you all about him if you had succeeded in wiping him out of your memory.

I usually get things right, but I remember I wondered why the hell we had used so much of our budget on Reina after his first few games, his handling of crosses were really poor and seeing as I was a huge Dudek fan I thought we should just have used him instead.

My doubts were proved wrong but I did not really think Reina was shite, just not much of an improvement on Dudek and that the money could have been spent elsewhere.

I see no one will admit they thought Pennant was going to be great for us so sorry for reminding you all about him if you had succeeded in wiping him out of your memory.

I usually get things right, but I remember I wondered why the hell we had used so much of our budget on Reina after his first few games, his handling of crosses were really poor and seeing as I was a huge Dudek fan I thought we should just have used him instead.

My doubts were proved wrong but I did not really think Reina was shite, just not much of an improvement on Dudek and that the money could have been spent elsewhere.

Right that's it. You have to be taking the piss, nobody and I mean nobody is that conceited?

Bruno Cheyrou

He was great for Lille, scored loads of Champs league goals, 1 against the mancs, the next zidane etc etc.

I rang my great uncle fred and told him all about him, told him he was the missing peice in the jigsaw, this sould be our year, all the usual cliches etc etc.

Fred doesn't swear much (he's very old) but on this occasion he referred to me a 'daft twat' and referred to Bruno as 'that useless fucker with white boots'

Bruno Cheyrou

He was great for Lille, scored loads of Champs league goals, 1 against the mancs, the next zidane etc etc.

I rang my great uncle fred and told him all about him, told him he was the missing peice in the jigsaw, this sould be our year, all the usual cliches etc etc.

Fred doesn't swear much (he's very old) but on this occasion he referred to me a 'daft twat' and referred to Bruno as 'that useless fucker with white boots'

That's another one you got wrong then. I've heard Uncle Fred is in fact very mediocre.

I thought Cisse would go on to be a truly great player for us. Within weeks I could see we may as well have signed Linford Christie.

Agreed, he is probably offside now. Him and Bellamy were both lightning but constantly offside. I remember a load of us shouting at him at Cardiff vs the hammers to get onside as we could see he was miles off every attack, he looked at us like we were mad.

Phil Babb. Played in the 1994 World Cup. Cost a British record fee for a defender. Was really hoping Spurs wouldn't get him when they were sniffing around so was glad we beat them to it. I was young and naive. Apart from being a precursor to Djimi Traore, I can only remember him for one thing.

(McGrath is the other thing here that makes you wince).

[YOUTUBE]dONtFBuCztM[/YOUTUBE]

Phil Babb. Played in the 1994 World Cup. Cost a British record fee for a defender. Was really hoping Spurs wouldn't get him when they were sniffing around so was glad we beat them to it. I was young and naive. Apart from being a precursor to Djimi Traore, I can only remember him for one thing.

(McGrath is the other thing here that makes you wince).

[YOUTUBE]dONtFBuCztM[/YOUTUBE]

Bet that took the wax out of his ears

Bruno Cheyrou

Didn't he have an ace preseason game against Madrid or Lazio? And he came on late against Southampton when Diouf scored 2 and won us a penalty and he looked the part in his white boots. Southampton must have been really bad that day.

Diomede was another one who I expected to be ace - Zinedine Zidane had talked him up a couple of years before we signed him.

Jean-Michel Ferri. I thought he would get shipped off to Tranmere. Alas it never happened, so we never got the headline "Ferri Cross The Mersey."

Karl-Heinz Riedle. A lot like Morientes. World class, scored in Champions League finals, regular goalscorer for his country. I suppose being chaperone to Owen didn't help him much.

Titi Camara. I thought he would be an utter waste of money due to being inconsistent at best. Scored some cracking and vital goals however. Also played against West Ham after his father died, because he couldn't get a flight in time to be at the funeral the next day. Scored and cried. Much respect.

This list is much easier when talking about players you KNEW would be a disappointment.

Some good calls on here and rep to the guy who started this discussion - glad that I'm not the only one who rated Salif Diao: i only saw him in that France-Senegal match and i thought he would be massive in the premiership (that said, I knew too much about Diouf's reputation, and i also didn't rate Cisse, so some cred back there on the French league). Like others, I questioned Gary Mac, although I always loved him as a player and just wish we'd grabbed him 10 years earlier.

I'd like to think i get more right than wrong - I was massively against signing Robbie Keane, and indeed Jermaine Pennant.

But in the spirit of the thread, i must confess all. Paul Ince. I honestly thought he would be motivated to prove Ferguson wrong and that he would lead the Spice Boys to the title. Sorry chaps.

Too many.

Ha! Bloody funny as fook! lol

Jimmy Carter was one I thought would be great, but turns out to be the only LFC player that I can remember being double subbed. Oh the shame!

I thought Crouchy was going to be completely Degen! Still miss him!

But in the spirit of the thread, i must confess all. Paul Ince. I honestly thought he would be motivated to prove Ferguson wrong and that he would lead the Spice Boys to the title. Sorry chaps.

All twattishness and Mancness aside, didn't he seem *exactly* what we needed after that season when we famously "came fourth in a two-horse race"?

Barnes/ Redders in the middle gave us a horrible soft-centre, so a tough-tackling snarling "leader" in the middle was what everyone thought we were missing.

Yet another in a long and largely indistinguished line of "final pieces of the jigsaw"