You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Buying a new laptop

What is the best one to get? I am going into media at college so need one which has a lot of memory as well as the right software packages and also has the right specs for Football Manager for when I get bored. Where is the best place to get them and the best laptop to get?

• 5 months later...
Dell are doing an inspiron with a 250gb hard drive for 350 quid at the mo.

Pretty good deal, you wouldnt get much better elsewhere.

As for applications - just visit open office.org

Anyone got a link to this particular dealio?

Actually, I just used the search feature on PC World and found this:

HP DV72110SA RECON Laptop - Buy cheap HP laptops including the HP DV72110SA RECON at PC World.

4GB RAM

250 hard drive for £449.

17.3" screen.

Better?

God i'm a spaz...

Looks alright for what they are asking, though it's not wireless enabled, so a dongle of some description would be needed for t'interweb usage... If you're out and about of course...

That looks pretty good.

Although, what a Libra Notebook Cooler is I have no idea.

Does exactly what it says, you put your laptop on said cooler and it cools it, job done.

That Acer does look good, especially for the price, HDMI connection and WiFi enabled to boot.

What is the best one to get? I am going into media at college so need one which has a lot of memory as well as the right software packages and also has the right specs for Football Manager for when I get bored. Where is the best place to get them and the best laptop to get?

Do you know what these might be? Do these require a certain spec graphics card or something? If this is what it is mainly for, do some research on this first, before looking at what computer to get.

Would be my recommendation.

Do you know what these might be? Do these require a certain spec graphics card or something? If this is what it is mainly for, do some research on this first, before looking at what computer to get.

Would be my recommendation.

What apps are you looking for Lew?

Just the basic Microsoft stuff really but I can buy that with the laptop.

After that, at my college there is some Photoshop software (all the computers at my college are macs) so all I need is Microsoft and the Photoshop. The rest I can do at college.

As part of the Acer I can get Open Office with it.

I think that is pretty much sorted, so I will probably buy that laptop when I have the money. I need £533 quid...

You mean Microsoft Office right? If so, save yourself £69.95 and go with Open Office.

Open Office is freeware downloaded from the interwebnet.