You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I believe he has, but a bit of hypocrisy isn't quite the same as winding up the opposing team about how he cheated against them in a massive game.

He doesn't constantly go winding them up. Thats the English press who love the feeding frenzy they can stir up with this. They are still at it and using a simpleton like Mongo Butcher as a tool in their game 20 years on.

If it was the germans they'd be on about the war.

I'm surprised so many here are buying into the Maradona anti-christ bit. The man was the greatest of all time

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He doesn't constantly go winding them up. Thats the English press who love the feeding frenzy they can stir up with this. They are still at it and using a simpleton like Mongo Butcher as a tool in their game 20 years on.

I'm surprised so many here are buying into the Maradona anti-christ bit. The man was the greatest of all time

Whenever he's questioned on it he admits he cheated and is perfectly happy about it.

I'm not anti-Maradona, I loved him as a player. I just don't think blatant cheating in sport is something to be tolerated, much less celebrated, however much you hate the team that's been cheated. All I'm saying is that I understand why Butcher feels the way he does, and that if a Liverpool player who'd been cheated in similar circumstances acted the same way, he'd get a lot more support from people on here who are slating Butcher.

Whenever he's questioned on it he admits he cheated and is perfectly happy about it.

He can't exactly say he didn't cheat can he? I'd be happy to win a World Cup game on my own too. If Fernando Torres bangs in a winner in Rome using his hand of dives in the area it won't stop me being happy about it.

He can't exactly say he didn't cheat can he? I'd be happy to win a World Cup game on my own too. If Fernando Torres bangs in a winner in Rome using his hand of dives in the area it won't stop me being happy about it.

Fine, me neither. But if he expressed no remorse and didn't admit that what he did was wrong, I wouldn't expect the opposition players to be happy about it.

Fine, me neither. But if he expressed no remorse and didn't admit that what he did was wrong, I wouldn't expect the opposition players to be happy about it.

Nor should they have been. 22 years on though i don't expect Terry Butcher to still be whinging like a tart about it. We know how he felt, we know what happened, just fucking move on Terry. Your part of the Scotland backroom team, 1986 is irrelevant.

Nor should they have been. 22 years on though i don't expect Terry Butcher to still be whinging like a tart about it. We know how he felt, we know what happened, just fucking move on Terry. Your part of the Scotland backroom team, 1986 is irrelevant.

If Maradona had said sorry and been contrite about it then Butcher would have just been bitter, but if Maradona won't apologise then I don't see why Butcher should forgive him.

What? None of them?

I find that very hard to believe. VERY hard to believe, indeed.

Come on mate, how was Maradona cheating in 86 different to Owen cheating in 02?

Are you putting forward the idea that because Maradona never said sorry and joked about it he deserves to be hated while Owen doesn't?

What? None of them?

I find that very hard to believe. VERY hard to believe, indeed.

Well maybe once, or it could have been wind.

Where've you been anyway Brendan? You haven't been posting for a while.

The good people on 6CM & EST don't still resent the insider blog do they?

If Maradona had said sorry and been contrite about it then Butcher would have just been bitter, but if Maradona won't apologise then I don't see why Butcher should forgive him.

It's why Maradona is a winner, Butcher is a loser.

Sentiment and apologies are for losers like Butcher, not for winners like Diego Maradona.

So what's the story here. I saw the BBC interview and didn't get the impression that Butcher was at all bitter. He just just said he wouldn't forgive Maradonna for cheating. He certainly didn't sound like it had been eating him up for 22 years. Indeed if the SCOTTISH press hadn't been shit stirring, I don't think it would have got that much coverage at all.

It's why Maradona is a winner, Butcher is a loser.

Sentiment and apologies are for losers like Butcher, not for winners like Diego Maradona.

:D :D :D

Please tell me that post's a windup, because if not it's the biggest load of wank I've read on here for a long time.

Blatantly cheating and being unapologetic about it is the mark of a winner? So in your eyes that would make Cristiano Ronaldo and Didier Drogba winners, and Robbie Fowler a loser for being honest about the Seaman penalty incident. Right?

Maradona is a winner, but he was a winner because of his amazing talent and application, not because he cheated and didn't give a fuck.

No, you fuck off to Boreham Wood. You might find that's where loads of people would agree with you and on Thatcher, who's not popular round here you know...

Borehamwood (It IS all one word, you know)?? What the hell are you talking about?

Can I fuck off to Stratford-upon-Avon instead please? It's really nice there, I could learn all about Shakespeare and it's only a short drive from Warwick where there's a great castle.

Please can I fuck off to Stratford-upon-Avon?

Guest Han_shoots_1st!
Borehamwood (It IS all one word, you know)?? What the hell are you talking about?

Can I fuck off to Stratford-upon-Avon instead please? It's really nice there, I could learn all about Shakespeare and it's only a short drive from Warwick where there's a great castle.

Please can I fuck off to Stratford-upon-Avon?

You're dead funny you are.

:D :D :D

Please tell me that post's a windup, because if not it's the biggest load of wank I've read on here for a long time.

Blatantly cheating and being unapologetic about it is the mark of a winner? So in your eyes that would make Cristiano Ronaldo and Didier Drogba winners, and Robbie Fowler a loser for being honest about the Seaman penalty incident. Right?

Maradona is a winner, but he was a winner because of his amazing talent and application, not because he cheated and didn't give a fuck.

Be champions

02goal.190.jpg

I cannot agree with you. Pele was, and indeed still is the greatest of all time. They are poles apart. Maradona will always be clouded by the handball in 1986, the disgraceful thug like tactics of the Argentina team in 1990, getting kicked out of the 94 tournament for drug cheating, failing a dope test for Napoli for 15 months, and cocaine abuse throughout his career and beyond.

Undoubtedly one of the worlds most skilful players- no question. There will always be a wankfest for his goal where he danced through the defence of Butcher, Terry Fenwick, Gary Stevens and Kenny Sansom. Laughable as an ambassador of the game because for his genius, he was a cheating snidy thundercunt.

I cannot agree with you. Pele was, and indeed still is the greatest of all time. They are poles apart. Maradona will always be clouded by the handball in 1986, the disgraceful thug like tactics of the Argentina team in 1990, getting kicked out of the 94 tournament for drug cheating, failing a dope test for Napoli for 15 months, and cocaine abuse throughout his career and beyond.

Undoubtedly one of the worlds most skilful players- no question. There will always be a wankfest for his goal where he danced through the defence of Butcher, Terry Fenwick, Gary Stevens and Kenny Sansom. Laughable as an ambassador of the game because for his genius, he was a cheating snidy thundercunt.

Bollocks.

He also practiaclly won a world cup on his own, joined a Napoli team which had never won anything in their history and won two Seria A titles and a Uefa Cup in 3 seasons with them. This, remember, was the toughest league in the world at the time, against the best defenders in the world where he was kicked from pillar to post. Pele spent almost his entire career with Santos in the Brazilian league, a league obviously known for it's superbly marshalled tight defences ! :whistle:

IMO, Maradona is the ONLY candidate for the greatest of all time.