You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ipod Touch capacity query

Alright dudes,

Basically my problem is I plugged my touch into my pc today and it said I didnt have enough data for all my songs on it. In the capacity bit it says that in 'Other' I am using 6.31GB worth of stuff (my touch is 8GB).

I deleted all my songs off it but the Other capacity is still 6.31. Anyone have a clue what the fuck this is?? I have no room for anything on it becuase of this 'Other' stuff bit there is fuck all on it!!

Its driving me mad and it will be even worse on my morning bus ride tomorrow.

'Other' I think can only be video or software (inc games). Did you buy the new version of the software and how big is it?

If you can't physically find the phantom 6.31gb in the menu on the left of itunes then it sounds like it's something you've deleted that hasn't quite gone anywhere. If it's not too much trouble then you may as well just wipe the whole thing, reset and start again. When you do this obviously make sure that your capacity is back to just under 8gb.

• 1 year later...

Ha. I was searching google about this and this thread comes up on the first page.

I've got about 700mb taking up 'other' on my ipod touch 32GB. Which isn't loads, but it's still space i can't use for music. Anyone any experience on getting that down that doesn't require restoring the damn thing?

Have you ever used anything other than itunes to put songs on it? ie mediamonkey/winamp or some other pc music player.

If l remember correctly a few years ago l put some songs on my lads nano through winamp l think it was, and they showed up as "other".....and not songs

Sheesh didn't notice the op was from 2008.....hope you got it sorted :$

Dude just found this..

The most common cause of "Other" on an iPod touch or iPhone are the iPod database files themselves (which keep track of your music library) which can run 50-100MB, album artwork (which takes up just under 400KB per track), and preference files for the various iPod touch applications (these should be extremely small, however).

In certain rare cases it's also possible for music and video to be on your iPod touch that isn't listed in the iPod's internal index, in which case these would be counted as "Other" as well. This is a more common problem on traditional iPods, however, due to the way in which they transfer information.

My "other" is 547.1mb by the way.