You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite Stone

Paul

Who's your favourite Stone?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who's your favourite Stone?

• Mick
    • Keith
    • Ronnie
    • Bill (Yes, I know he's retired)
    • Charlie

No, I'm not getting enthusiastic about geology. I saw the trailer for Scorsese's forthcoming documentary about The Rolling Stones last night and, whilst I've never been a massive fan, who can't love The Stones just a little bit? They looked fucking ace in all the performance bits and I'd love to see them live even now when they're all in their 60s.

Anyway, the trailer got me thinking about what a diverse bunch of characters they all are. Most people seem to revere Keith for his excesses or Mick for his shagging prowess, but my favourite is Charlie Watts. He is dapper as fuck when all the others wear their scruffy shit. Also, he prefers jazz to rock and frequently drums with various jazz groups when not on Stones duty. However, the reason he's my favourite Stone is down to this tale I read years ago in a magazine:

Apparently one night after a gig, Mick was holding court in the hotel bar into the wee small hours with a group of fans and journalists, pontificating about his own greatness. Apparently there was an argument to be settled about some minor detail of Stones history and Mick announced to all and sundry, "Somebody go and wake my drummer. He'll confirm I'm right." Everyone suggested this was a bad idea, but Mick proceeded to phone Charlie in his room and, addressing him as "My drummer", demanded that he join them downstairs forthwith before putting the phone down. Apparently there was a bit of a lull and, as Charlie didn't appear immediately, the conversation moved on.

About 20 minutes later, a dapper figure appeared at the door of the bar. Charlie had got out of bed at 4am (or whatever time it was), showered, shaved and put his best whistle on in order to come down and address the bladdered Jagger. He walked straight over to Mick, through the group of hangers on, got onto a table and walked right up to its head where he grabbed Jagger by the scruff of the neck. He then delivered the immortal words, "Get one fucking thing straight: I'm not your drummer; you're my fucking singer. And if you ever phone me in the middle of the night again, I'll fucking kill you, you weasley little cunt." He then nodded to the watching fans, said "Good evening" and went straight back to bed. Legend.

• 3 months later...

The Stones always have wikkid models in their videos. I remember when I was younger being absolutely smitten by some short haired brunette from the Love Is Strong Video and a few years later having naughty dreams about the blonde in the Like a Rolling Stone video.

The only birds who compare are the ones on lady's hair dye packaging.

Edit - I think one of them was Patricia Arquette when she was less rough.