You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official Slippered Up Match Thread

Paul

I feel strange at the moment. Im devasted obviously about the result but i thought i would be far more angry then i am.

Im afraid ive been bought by the media spin that Gillett and Hicks have been doing.

I can see such a bright future for Liverpool that it is this over riding feeling of pride of both the players for once again getting there and of the fans who once again have gone over en mass and sung their hearts out.

No other club in the world have fans like ours. We lost the tie yet sung just as loudly as if we had won the trophy. The team maybe bringing back losers medals but everyone of the fans out there come back as winners.

Gillett and Hicks have both been overwhelmed by what the they have purchased and i dont think neither of them envisaged the passion and pride that it means to be a Liverpool supporter.

If the new owners do give Rafa the kind of finance that he requires then tonights game is just the stepping stone to far greater achievements.

Rafa is no mug. Its plain for everyone to see where the problems are and its been gone over on numerous occasions so i fully expect these problems to sorted in the summer.

We all feel shite but think of what the future holds and hold your head up high we are Liverpool FC and bet your fucking life on it - we will be back.

Exactly word for word to how i feel.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will give you 2 D Alves & Simao not saying he didnt play well but i think the end produt from those two is far better IMHO

Am not saying Pennants end product was that great tonite, however even when he was shite he seemed to be able to put a good cross in. And there are many wingers able to do better than Pennant tonite-in a match. Though he didnt create a goal, he was threatening and carried the ball well many times. Tha latter I always thought hes not been doing for us.

However, my main point is that he did well, as a winger, in a kind of game-a top level final, that usually dont have wingers being amongst the better players on the pitch. If he can transmit the effort from tonite into premiership matches, like Mascherano will easily do, he could be something. We've seen before that his crosses can be great.

Pennant should not be pointed out as someone who should have been subbed or written totally of as a liverpool player.

He was a disgrace, 6 subs, 1 in the "3minutes", 2 goals, a pitch invader (or was that first half?), constant play acting by Nesta, Inzaghi and co, taking ages and ages on throw in and yet the 3mins added time turn into 2 and a half, I think he got a bit twitchy that we'd equalise the odious cunt. Only thing we got away with was Alonso not being booked, other than that every 50/50 went to them, Gatusso after surprisingly being booked got away with murder and Kuyt and Crouch got nothing.

We had our own problems within our team tonight but having a cunt like that reffing didnt help.

And I dont care if anyone calls me "Everton like" or a "bitter" he was fucking rubbish

nail on head. that should be saved for posterity

i dont care if it sounds bitter, it's the truth and we need to acknowledge it

My humble opinion:

1. Rafa`s tactics was spot on. We can`t complain when we are in total control of this Milan team (which humiliated ManU).

2. Alonso was great, showed once again that he is a man for the big occacions. He is (unfortunately) our only truly world class player besides Gerrard and Carra.

3. Pennant proved that he is up for the big games. I despair when some admit that he (probably) was our best player in a CL-FINAL!! and then complain because they fear that he can not get even better.

4. The ref was very bad for the reasons many posters have pointed out. That is a FACT. His wrong decisions may also have influenced the result. I find it best for my own mental health though to not speculate on his motives for this.

Totally agree with you and Mr.Smoketoomuch.

Alonso and Mascherano were world class in the first half, did anyone see Seedorf in the first half? And Kaka didn't do anything except for the Zidane-dribble.

And how can a young player, who's dominating the first half of a Champions League Final not be good enough for us? Surely Pennant can be great for us, now we need to strengthen our left side. A world class striker and a winger that can play both sides - and we're there...

It's hard to take, but we have a very, very bright future. We dominated Milan, we really did, and we're about to make some top class signings. We'll be back, oh we'll be back all right.

Ditto. That's all i want to say really. I think we've quite possibly got the best manager on the planet and im pretty excited for the future.

Ah fuck it. Just wasn't to be.

Final thoughts:

Tactics spot on in the first half, we dominated possession (as we did for most of the game), we needed to have scored when we were on top.

Pennant played really well in the first half, not quite so threatening in the 2nd. We could have done with something similar on the other side, Bolo had a shocker, and it was a bit too soon for Kewell.

2nd half Milan killed the game with some better football combined with niggly fouls and timewasting, but we were still the better side for most of it.

I would agree now with Paul we should have had Crouch on earlier, but I would have taken Finnan off and gone three at the back. He didn't do enough going forward for me and looked nervous in possession. Riise was noticeably worse in the second half too.

We were always going to be in danger once the Chief went off, and so it proved. I think the defence should have done better on that goal though. There was only Kaka and Inzaghi and between Carra, Agger and Riise none of them dealt with either of them.

Mascherano was immense, Alonso was also very good (can't believe people are slagging him). Gerrard looked more dangerous in behind Kuyt than the 15 minutes he was in central midfield, he was everywhere in the first half, but quieter in the second.

The ref was in the whole ok. He mostly let the game flow. Gave a few too many freekicks against Kuyt. Inzaghi's first was probably a handball, but you can't really blame him for not spotting that, it was going quickly. But how the fuck did we only get 3 minutes of injury time? The pitch invader, Nesta, Inzaghi and all those subs? And then he only played 2.45 when Milan timewasted for a good minute of that. Bastard.

To finish, we were the better team in the Champions League final. We didn't create that many chances, but we created more than Milan. If Pennant or Alonso had scored in the first half, or Gerrard in the second with good chances it would have been different. In the end it took a spawny handball goal off a freekick that probably wasn't, to beat us. That's football sometimes. In the biggest games against the best teams you occasionally need a bit of luck, and that went to Milan tonight. You can't justifiably complain about how our team played or any of the players or the tactics in my view. We played well, we were the better team, it just wasn't our night.

We'll be back.

YNWA.

It didn't hurt as much as defeat to Forest in League Cup final replay (that was never a fucking pen, by the way). And it didn't hurt as much as 96 Wembley fiasco. But seeing my 7 year old in tears about LFC for the first time in his life was hard to take. Think he just assumed that, being a final, we would win it. Told him it was character building, but he's not having any of it.

because xabi was passing the ball well,

in all fairness, we didnt play pretty well as a team, and singling out 1 player is harsh, we did ok in stages, but never threated, a bit disappointed in Gerrards lack of closing down, Kuyt made more challenges than him ,and thats something that just makes my bloody boil, call me a moan, cunt, prick ,whatever you want, but surely its not right that a striker makes more challenges than a central midfielder

Get real mate, he was a second striker there.

Fuck off, don't try try to slag our players and captain, he did well in the role he was asked to play. He can be dominating and running every where from that position. Kuyt and Gerrard interchange a lot of times.

and please fuck off.

OK, I've done the "congratulations Milan" thing on the appropriate thread. I've only read this one as far as the end of the match; before I go any further here are my other observations.

FUCK THIS REF FUCK HIM TO HELL

Amen to that. Inzaghi scores with his arm (I've seen them given, for sure), then a MINIMUM of three minutes injury time (and how many times have you seen refs play right up to 3.59 in finals, especially when one team has wasted at least a minute of the added time...) but the match ends on 92.45? Could he not wait to go and pick his brown envelope up? Not to mention his inability to distinguish between "committing a foul" and "being tall". Cock-knocker.

Seriously Michel, how much was he? Does he do kid's parties? He's so crooked I bet he has to screw his pants on, the absolute twat. Just for blowing up early, he should never, ever get a final again. I'm sure complaining about it will provoke much hilarity but firstly it's the fucking law of the game and secondly, if it wouldn't have made any difference then what was the problem with playing it? Shall we just not bother with sendings off too if the foul occurs near the end of a game? How about penalties?

Inzaghi? Monty had it absolutely spot on the other day; the second one may have been a good finish but the first was spawny as fuck. Also, his rolling around, stomach-holding exhibition in the second half has ensured that if I ever meet him, I will smack him right in the chops and laugh as I do it. Hell, I'll happy-slap the emaciated bitch and post it on fucking YouTube. What a shithouse he is.

Pennant flatters to deceive. He looked good running around their midfield today and did have some good spells (I'm thinking in particular of when he had to bring the ball out with little support and dribbled it round half their side until players got up with him) but his end product is either not there at all or not good enough, at least not good enough on a consistent basis. Tonight he was all fart and no shit. No surprise to me, I didn't fancy him for this one from the off and said so at least a week ago.

I also said that Kewell should start if he looked fit. From what I saw when he came on, I was very, very wrong. Very wrong, just to be clear.

It remains to be seen whether Dirk will do the business playing alongside an out and out striker, but I do not want to see him playing up front on his own again if it's avoidable. Seriously, the lad's work ethic is phenomenal but that's exactly why he does not do the business for me as a lone striker. He scored from a set piece. He wouldn't have scored from open play if we were still playing now - it's great having a player like him that will come deep or wide and look for the ball, but whilst he's doing that there's no fucker in the box, least of all him. I thought I was going to have a stroke tonight when I saw the team sheet had no Crouch - whether we should have played one or two up front is another issue, but either way Crouch should have started this game.

Gerrard. Can't fault him as a player but we do him (and ourselves) no favours at all when we play him where we did tonight, in a more advanced role. Breaking into that space from a conventional centre mid position, or from the right, he's a handful for anyone but playing him up there to start with seems to stifle his game to me rather than allowing him to dictate the attacking play. Perhaps it would be a bit strong to say we waste him there, but we definitely don't get the best out of our best player.

As I said in the "congratulations Milan" thread, I'm entirely confident that if we sign players of the calibre that we keep hearing about during the summer, we'll be back for our cup in the next couple of seasons but I can't help being pissed off because I saw a Milan side that were there for the taking tonight. I'd have been far less pissed off if we'd lost in Istanbul; for at least seventy minutes of that match we were played off the park, but tonight was a different story. There's no way that anyone will convince me that Milan were the best team tonight, no way on earth. I saw two pretty evenly matched sides at best.

Let's not blame the ref, eh, everyone?

Hah! Just saw that and thought it worth pointing out that I'm not blaming him for the defeat - doesn't change the fact that he was a complete and utter arse though.

One of those matches,

Didnt do much wrong, sometimes we were guity of not playing to the whistle but I cant complain. We're now a dominant force and we're only 80%. We'll win it with the league in the next few years. x

Also how good was it to see team not being cunts winning it?

A good Milan Liverpool bond. thats nice.

Oh and ref, play the full time you Milan loving cunt. Ahem.

Guest Jay W

Fuck that hurts. It hurts because we could have and should have won. Milan were very average. Was Mascherano injured or knackered because I'm still not sure as to why he seemed to be sacrificed because he was the security that had Kaka shackled, who incidently had all the time in the world to set up Inzaghi. Seemed the wrong move bringing Mascherano off if there was nothing wrong with him because you saw the holes it created. The ref was a cunt, he seemed alright in the first half hour but became an utter, utter cunt.

Not going to give vent too much anyways because I can't be arsed, just totaly gutted.

I must be healing - I can laugh again:

Inzaghi says first goal was no fluke

Thu 24 May, 01:23 AM

ATHENS (Reuters) - The first of Filippo Inzaghi's two Champions League-winning goals for AC Milan on Wednesday was a fluke according to Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez.

"It was luck but that is football," the Spaniard said of the goal that deflected off Inzaghi from Andrea Pirlo's freekick.

Most of the Olympic Stadium crowd would no doubt have agreed with him but the scorer had an alternative viewpoint.

"It was something that we rehearsed in training," said Inzaghi with a grin. "I scored with it against Empoli. Sometimes it just comes off."

"Yeah, I spawned one of those in against Empoli as well. I'm a right jammy cunt, me."

Fucking Alonso you stupid cunt carragher had kaka covered and a spawny hand ball deflection just to rub it in

Sorry but i chad to comment on that as some lad said that in the pub amd i wanted to smack him, i pretty sure you didn't mean it the same as him but it well upset me.... i mean its fucking Alonso

I don't know if this has already been reported here, but the Greek police were firing tear gas at our fans who tried to get in without tickets.

Not what I heard. I believe it was at the second check point and many fans had genuine tickets but apperently they had already let in fans with forgeries. When the guys with genuine tickets got upset they teargssed them - women and kids too !!

• 1 year later...