You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anfield Atmosphere is unique

rebel23

The club should be focused on getting young Scousers on the Kop the 18-30 demographic.

The Gwladys St and Goodison generally has much more of that age group/demographic and they'll increase the number at new ground.

The balance has gone wrong at Anfield IMO and the whole membership thing and how tickets are sold is a problem.

48 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

The club doesn't want real local supporters in the ground who will just go watch the match. They want those day trippers who will spend a shit load of money in the club shop, the restaurants and museum. 

Local fans have slowly been forced out. 

It goes beyond just local people though. It's cutting out whole swathes of society. Buying tickets online really means you need to be in a job that allows you to just sit about for hours on end when the tickets go on sale. And have a lifestyle where you're flexible enough to go the game whenever the fuck they feel like playing the matches. I realise the last part is the same for us season ticket holders, but that's the price you pay for being sure of a ticket. But the idea groups of young lads can just go when they've all got the money in their pocket on the day have completely gone. I'm not sure that's ever coming back and will only happen if supply outstrips demand. 

• Upvote 4

Sadly, until we get a stadium that accommodates 80K, it's not going to happen.  When I first started going, you just had to get there and queue, and if you pitched up half an hour before kick off you probably weren't going to get in.  Then in the early 80s we often couldn't get anywhere near capacity because locals were on the bones of their arses  and OOTs wasn't such a thing.  We can't simultaneously celebrate the fact we're one of the best supported clubs in the world and then moan that the local kids can't get in.  It is almost exclusively a Liverpool problem in the UK though, as almost every other club has some headroom in their capacity that is filled by the local youth.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

It fucking really is unique.

The social conscience of the spirit of the city comes out.

Wow...that sounded wanky. I didn't mean it to. It would happen at Goodison too, if they had something to sing about.

Fuck all these other plastic-flag-waving-Johnny-come-lately types.

So, I took my daughter to a game. It was nothing special. Blackburn I think. But it happened to be Shankly's hundredth birthday, or maybe another anniversary. The Shankly family was piped onto the Anfield turf, by two bagpipers playing Shankly's favorite hymn. Amazing Grace. The Kop started singing his name, to the tune. However the pipers weren't mic'd up. It wasn't coming from the PA system. It was only as loud as the bagpiping lads could muster. The 20 thousand people on the kop would easily drown out two bagpipers.

So, instead the crowd sang his name in a really hushed tone. It was amazing. The pipes could still be heard.

I love the city - but I am not from Liverpool. I was blown away. You could hear both the pipers and the Kop. The family must have felt respected - for themselves and for Bill.

Don't get me wrong. Other clubs have great traditions. And fans in great voices too. But they don't have what Liverpool have.

The personality of the city comes through! Sometimes in reverence - like the above. Other times like a wall of noise. It's fucking great.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely superb tonight. Solid support for the team, from start to finish, even when they were being so comprehensively outplayed (and frankly didn't deserve it!). Impeccable minute's silence. Due respect for the opponents - with them showing us respect in return - and proper contempt for the cunts at UEFA.

Premier League games against tedious, witless, generic no-marks are an absolute slog compared to a night like tonight.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Absolutely superb tonight. Solid support for the team, from start to finish, even when they were being so comprehensively outplayed (and frankly didn't deserve it!). Impeccable minute's silence. Due respect for the opponents - with them showing us respect in return - and proper contempt for the cunts at UEFA.

Premier League games against tedious, witless, generic no-marks are an absolute slog compared to a night like tonight.

Have to be honest and say my view was completely different to yours. At 2-0 their fans were louder and after they took the lead the ground was sat in silence apart from their end.

I was in the Anny Road end by the Madrid fans and could barely hear the Kop for the most of the game. The Madrid fans were not exactly respectful of us either in their chants.

14 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

Have to be honest and say my view was completely different to yours. At 2-0 their fans were louder and after they took the lead the ground was sat in silence apart from their end.

I was in the Anny Road end by the Madrid fans and could barely hear the Kop for the most of the game. The Madrid fans were not exactly respectful of us either in their chants.

I was in the Lower Kenny, towards the Anny Road end, and I could hear the Kop - and all the other stands - all night. Madrid fans were loud, too. I didn't pick up on anything disrespectful, but they applauded YNWA at the start and applauded Liverpool fans and chanted "Liverpool" at the end.

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I was in the Lower Kenny, towards the Anny Road end, and I could hear the Kop - and all the other stands - all night. Madrid fans were loud, too. I didn't pick up on anything disrespectful, but they applauded YNWA at the start and applauded Liverpool fans and chanted "Liverpool" at the end.

They chanted 'fuck Liverpool' near the start and sang 'Go play in the Europa' for most of the second half. Obviously the second is not much of an insult but there was a definite disdain from them.

Being close to their fans may have drowned some of our chanting out but I remember passing comment to my mate on how quiet it was compared to other big European nights at 2-0. Second half was near total silence.

16 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

They chanted 'fuck Liverpool' near the start and sang 'Go play in the Europa' for most of the second half. Obviously the second is not much of an insult but there was a definite disdain from them.

Being close to their fans may have drowned some of our chanting out but I remember passing comment to my mate on how quiet it was compared to other big European nights at 2-0. Second half was near total silence.

Have to agree in CE felt like the minute silence was carrying on at points of the second half.

It was madness at 2-0 though - felt Alisson mistake killed the ground. 

I was in the lower main just behind the away dugout and I thought the atmosphere was crap second half. Couldn’t hear a note from the kop until the 90th minute when some feeble ‘we love you Liverpool’s’ went up followed by a meek YNWA. Was saying to my mate a bit of defiance from the kop would have been nice to see in those circumstances 

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I heard one person shout something. I thought it came from the Madrid fans.

No, Madrid fans don’t tend to shout slurs about themselves.  It happened more then once, people were even opting to start to clap thinking the few wankers were showing them up and the ref blew the whistle before the minute was up as more and more were shouting.