You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

One of the things I like about his books is characters appearing from time to time in other books. A couple of characters from IT appear in 11/22/63 apparently just after IT has finished. King also appears later on in The Dark Tower as a fictional writer. I can’t quite remember but I think he is asked to rewrite a certain book about vampires.

On 10/09/2023 at 16:26, Babb'sBurstNad said:

A Clockwork Orange 

Interesting, but the nadsat slang started to get on my tits. Reads more like a solid genre novella than a great work of literary fiction. 

Have you maybe read City of Bohane by Kevin Barry? A post-apocalyptic "western" set in the future Ireland, something like an Irish Clockwork Orange, equally linguistically and stylistically ambitious.  A bit high lit though.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Have you maybe read City of Bohane by Kevin Barry? A post-apocalyptic "western" set in the future Ireland, something like an Irish Clockwork Orange, equally linguistically and stylistically ambitious.  A bit high lit though.

No, sounds interesting though. I'll keep an eye out for it.

On 10/09/2023 at 15:26, Babb'sBurstNad said:

A Clockwork Orange 

Interesting, but the nadsat slang started to get on my tits. Reads more like a solid genre novella than a great work of literary fiction. 

That's one of the worst bits at the end, all his mates have moved on and he still thinks with the same childish language, the character's totally lost. Part his fault, part the state's.

Need to read that one again at some point.

3 hours ago, Pidge said:

That's one of the worst bits at the end, all his mates have moved on and he still thinks with the same childish language, the character's totally lost. Part his fault, part the state's.

Need to read that one again at some point.

Yeah, that was weak. I never knew the US edition didn't have the final chapter. It's a much better ending.

Never seen the film either, so I want to watch that to compare.

On 10/09/2023 at 10:46, Paul said:

The Dark Tower is well worth persevering with. The ending - as with most King - is poor in my view, but the journey (literal and metaphorical) is great. 

It is.

The books written before the accident were far superior though, especially the wastelands which is one of my favourite books ever.

It's funny you mention the ending I remember I was sitting on the throne halfway through Wizard & Glass when it all of a sudden struck me how he was going to end it.

When I did finish it my emotions were torn between elation that I predicted what would happen and disappointment that it did happen.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Elite said:

Last two books I've read (listened) are both by Lou Berney. November Road and The Far and Away gone. Props to @NoelM once more, great recommendation.

Glad you enjoyed, he's really great, I'm about to start Berney's latest "Dark Ride".

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elite said:

I've got the Dark Tower book 1 and Razorblade Tears to get through then I'm getting that with my next credit.

Razorblade Tears is great, all SA Cosby books are outstanding. I love the style, it's so refreshing and different.

• Upvote 1

The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Despite being aware of the premise, I found it lives up to the hype. A cutting, eloquent satire on amoral sophistry, dilettantism and vanity. It's a masterpiece.

9.5/10

On 21/09/2023 at 17:02, Paul said:

Finished the latest Steig Larsson Millennium book written by a new author. It’s fine, but a bit difficult to follow in places. Not sure if it’s her or the translation. 

Now on the new Stephen King. 

Finished Holly and really enjoyed it. It’s fascinating the way King has taken a very minor character in one novel and made her the centre of many more stories. 

Now reading Politics On The Edge by Rory Stewart. Politically, I rarely agree with him, but his values are clear even if he admits he’s had times where the pressure of party politics has forced him to compromise them. 

The book is less about him though than about how fucked our political system is and, as a former insider, he gives an insight few every offer. 

• Upvote 1

New Cormoran Strike is again 1000 pages, 34 hours. Halfway through and I find it less compelling than the Ink Black Heart and not as ambitious as the 1000-pager before that one. So far, do not see  much reason for making it so long yet again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...