You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I see some of you are getting concerned with some of our transfer targets or the fact were not signing flavour of the month players like Joaquin or SWP (but we dont know that for a fact)

What should be in most peoples mind however should be the quality of our squad come the start of next season compared to what Rafa had inheritted

ie we'll have players in like Garcie, Morientes, Alonso, Reina & Millito or Ibanez and players out such as Biscan, Smicer, Cheyrou, Diao and Diouf. we will probably have a couple more top quality players as well;.

We will have a much more stronger squad that can probably make a realistic challenge if not a winning one.

we have to accept that we cant compete with the very best but were probably top of the next level.

we have to accept that we cant compete with the very best but were probably top of the next level.

Nick, what the fuck, mate? We're Champions of Europe! That in itself should be enough, but we've also got the best manager in the world and the best central midfield pairing of any I've seen in years. Why are we inferior to anyone? I thought it was just Rash who was obsessed with comparing us unfavourably with other teams. We're Liverpool Football Club - English Champions eighteen times and European Champions five times - let's forget the rest and focus on ourselves.

But Rash, we've just proved that you can win the biggest prize in club football without star names. Why get into bidding wars that we can never win with clubs like United, Real, Milan and Chelsea when we've got an alchemist in charge?

Nick, what the fuck, mate? We're Champions of Europe! That in itself should be enough, but we've also got the best manager in the world and the best central midfield pairing of any I've seen in years. Why are we inferior to anyone? I thought it was just Rash who was obsessed with comparing us unfavourably with other teams. We're Liverpool Football Club - English Champions eighteen times and European Champions five times - let's forget the rest and focus on ourselves.

paul, i am realistic and am totally relaxed and happy about the situation when i talk about the top level im mainly talking about Chelsea, the old manu and Real madrid, were never gonna pay 27m plus for one player. but once those 3 have had there pick were top of the rest. Were not inferior to anyone and yes we have the best manager for decades. Most importantly the best players dont make the best team. basically we are agreeing and the fact we cant go and buy adriano for me isnt a negative. I want players who are proud to wear the famous Red shirt like Xabi Alonso who is as committed as any scouser.

paul, i am realistic and am totally relaxed and happy about the situation when i talk about the top level im mainly talking about Chelsea, the old manu and Real madrid, were never gonna pay 27m plus for one player. but once those 3 have had there pick were top of the rest. Were not inferior to anyone and yes we have the best manager for decades. Most importantly the best players dont make the best team. basically we are agreeing and the fact we cant go and buy adriano for me isnt a negative. I want players who are proud to wear the famous Red shirt like Xabi Alonso who is as committed as any scouser.

Sorry mate; I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about competing for prizes - you meant competing in the transfer market. Apologies.

We've got sidetracked again on a silly debate

the main point of the thread was to point out the quality of the squad for the start of the season to the one that Rafa inherrited. when he took over we had a squad not good enough and within 2 close seasons he's almost closed the gap, thats pretty good in my book.

We've got sidetracked again on a silly debate

the main point of the thread was to point out the quality of the squad for the start of the season to the one that Rafa inherrited. when he took over we had a squad not good enough and within 2 close seasons he's almost closed the gap, thats pretty good in my book.

I think a debate on whether we need a quality squad or whether we should be going more for quantity, given we start our season in just 4 weeks, would be a good one.

The Quality Option is spashing out for a SWP priced player.

The Quantity Option is a less splashy player and more Zenden-type players.

I think we'll need a mixture of both this summer. We have a long season ahead and our depth will be tested. We will need a number of capable squad player to stand in to cover the first eleven when they are injured or rested.

I doubt we will splash the money on Joaquin/SWP. We could be see a number of players arriving for prices between £5-10mil. Good players, but not big names. Good players who are out of contract would be excellent for us. Zenden may not be amongst top classed players, but he should be good enough to do the job for us when called upon. His versatility will also be a bonus.

Zenden may not be amongst top classed players, but he should be good enough to do the job for us when called upon. His versatility will also be a bonus.

I really don't like Zenden at all, not especially because I don't rate him (think he's ok, nothing more), I just don't like him. However, given the amount of players we need to bring in, and that they can't all be £10m players, I could see the logic.

I haven't heard anything definite about whether we are in for him, but it would make some sense.

Heard a rumour that Figo is deciding between us and Inter this week. Not sure if its true (which is why its on here and not the main site), but wouldn't be too surprised.

I really don't like Zenden at all, not especially because I don't rate him (think he's ok, nothing more), I just don't like him.

Dave, you say that about so many players. I've got this great 'Homer-esque' vision of you getting your notepad out at the match and going "Right Bolo you twat, you just made the list!" :biggrin:

I really don't like Zenden at all, not especially because I don't rate him (think he's ok, nothing more), I just don't like him. However, given the amount of players we need to bring in, and that they can't all be £10m players, I could see the logic.

I haven't heard anything definite about whether we are in for him, but it would make some sense.

Heard a rumour that Figo is deciding between us and Inter this week. Not sure if its true (which is why its on here and not the main site), but wouldn't be too surprised.

I think Figo would be a great signing on the right wages.

Back to the original point. Some of the people we have been linked with over the last few weeks is worrying, let's hope it's all speculation. The thought of Crouch, Stelios and several others mentioned playing in a Liverpool shirt fills me with dread. Shipping out mediocrity to replace it with fresh mediocrity is not the way forward.

Back to the original point. Some of the people we have been linked with over the last few weeks is worrying, let's hope it's all speculation. The thought of Crouch, Stelios and several others mentioned playing in a Liverpool shirt fills me with dread. Shipping out mediocrity to replace it with fresh mediocrity is not the way forward.

I cant understand why people get so annoyed with players we are linked with in a newspaper. Seeing as some many people take notice of the papers we've also been linked with Aimar, SWP, Joaquin, Ibanez and many more great players. Who cares? Lets wait and see

I cant understand why people get so annoyed with players we are linked with in a newspaper. Seeing as some many people take notice of the papers we've also been linked with Aimar, SWP, Joaquin, Ibanez and many more great players. Who cares? Lets wait and see

Thing is Hermes wants us to sign the Zenden's, Crouch's and Stelios's of this world and not the Aimar's, Ibanez's and Kuyt's so that he can go back to his favourite past time - criticising Rafa.

Let's not act daft, we all know who the definite targets are. Reina, Milito and Crouch are very high on the list, and that's not just because the nationals said so - Bascombe has mentioned them a few times, and he wouldn't have done that unless Rafa or someone else at the club had clued him in. Kuyt would also still seem to be a possibility, as would the young winger Gonzalez. After that, who knows? More lads from Spain would be my guess, but I'm sure a lot will depend on who leaves and for how much.

dont have a problem with Figo defo a Homer though cant see him doing match at west ham or blackburn

Figo would be a classy addition to the squad; a great talent and a great winner.

As for Zenden, I know exactly what you mean. I think it's his stupid hair and stupid run that does it for me.

Anyone read Bascombe's article about moral being low at Anfield in the Echo this weekend? He goes on about Kewell being this and that, now tell me, is this the same Kewell he wanted to have Vlad's Number 7 shirt - A YEAR BEFORE HE EVEN JOINED US? Disrespecting Vlad at the same time? Terrible article that, reminded me of Dave Maddock.

Always rated Bascombe but there was no need for that after a European Cup win. Besides Kewell's missus being on the bus was not the reason the likes of Mellor etc missed out was it?

It also shows that with Rafa in charge, the media don't get a daily briefing like they did under Houllier - not many people know what he will do.

Anyone read Bascombe's article about moral being low at Anfield in the Echo this weekend? He goes on about Kewell being this and that, now tell me, is this the same Kewell he wanted to have Vlad's Number 7 shirt - A YEAR BEFORE HE EVEN JOINED US? Disrespecting Vlad at the same time? Terrible article that, reminded me of Dave Maddock.

Always rated Bascombe but there was no need for that after a European Cup win. Besides Kewell's missus being on the bus was not the reason the likes of Mellor etc missed out was it?

It also shows that with Rafa in charge, the media don't get a daily briefing like they did under Houllier - not many people know what he will do.

Rash, without the actual article to read, your post is Djibberish. Stick it on here, mate.

Rash, without the actual article to read, your post is Djibberish. Stick it on here, mate.

Don't have it mate, someone in Liverpool rang me and we spoke about it. Basically talks about moral being low at Anfield, how some players were unhappy about missing out on the parade and felt bitter that Kewell's wife got on the bus. Etc.

God forbid anyone direspect Vladi, eh Rash?

Kewell is fat, lazy workshy fop! I'm not surprised there are rumblings of discontent at Anfield when it comes to that oxygen thief. He puts more effort into a fuckin court case about his precious image being damaged than he does on the pitch.

I'll give him a "hurtful and humiliating attack" the fuckin big girls blouse.

I wonder if he wins damages, will he donate them to the HJC?