You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leaving Liverpool, its never a good idea, but who actually got success elsewhere?

Code

I’ve always had the feeling that leaving Liverpool is one of the most stupid things a player can do for his career. It usually only go downwards from there.

But I can think of a few players who made the right call when they left and got a great career elsewhere also after leaving us.

The three players who instantly spring to mind for me are S.McManaman, X.Alonso and L.Suarez. 

K.Keegan had two good years at Hamburg, but Im not sure if I think that is enough, R.Sterling went to City so I will not count him because they have been cheating ever since. 

What do you think, who have I missed or is it just these three?

IMG_0036.jpeg

IMG_0037.jpeg

IMG_0038.jpeg

Kuyt went on to win the Turkish league, the cup and super cup. After he was done conquering Turkey, he single handedly delivered Feynoord their first league title since ‘99, with a hat-trick in his last ever game. He also went on to win 104 caps for the Netherlands.

• Upvote 6

7 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Kuyt went on to win the Turkish league, the cup and super cup. After he was done conquering Turkey, he single handedly delivered Feynoord their first league title since ‘99, with a hat-trick in his last ever game. He also went on to win 104 caps for the Netherlands.

Along with playing Sloth in the Goonies.

18 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Larry Lloyd.

Uncle Bob sold him to Coventry, he moved on to Forest and won another league title and 2 European Cups.

I was  only two years old at the time, but sounds like he could be in the discussion. 

1 minute ago, Code said:

I was  only two years lyd at the time, but sounds like he could be in the discussion. 

He was sold 10 months before I was born mate, but my old man told me about him, and I read up when I was younger, did OK with us, league title and UEFA Cup in 73, missed the FA Cup win in 74, Paisley preferred Phil Thompson so he moved him on.

Became one of Clough's regulars at Forest, and sad to say they were a fucking good side.

15 minutes ago, Code said:

I was  only two years old at the time, but sounds like he could be in the discussion. 

He should be.  Most thought he wasn’t a great loss when he left but all of a sudden he was part of a defence which hardly conceded.  

It’s not all about the high fliers. It’s a lot less likely that a player will have a better career elsewhere after not doing much with us, but some do. 

Kevin Sheedy

Steve Ogrizovic
Luis Alberto

Iago Aspas

Dominic Solanke 

Gabriel Paletta 

Just now, El Rojo said:

It’s not all about the high fliers. It’s a lot less likely that a player will have a better career elsewhere after not doing much with us, but some do. 

Kevin Sheedy

Steve Ogrizovic
Luis Alberto

Iago Aspas

Dominic Solanke 

Gabriel Paletta 

Hard to argue with any of them really, especially Kevin Sheedy, brilliant player who had a great career.

5 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Hard to argue with any of them really, especially Kevin Sheedy, brilliant player who had a great career.

Yeah, very good player.

It’s amazing how it seems to not just be disappointing, but actually a bit of a disaster for so many who’ve left us under Klopp.

Sakho, Coutinho, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Markovic (ok, hardly surprising), Ibe, Benteke, Karius, Balotelli

13 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Iago Aspas - 150 goals in La Liga, 20 caps for Spain, absolute Celta legend.

Still bugs me how we misused him in 2014. Suarez running on empty by the end of the season. This fella should have been coming on for an attacker on 65 minutes every time we’d a league game won from Feb/March onwards. 

Of course when we needed him at the end he’d barely played and had no confidence. Hence ‘the corner’. 

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Still bugs me how we misused him in 2014. Suarez running on empty by the end of the season. This fella should have been coming on for an attacker on 65 minutes every time we’d a league game won from Feb/March onwards. 

Of course when we needed him at the end he’d barely played and had no confidence. Hence ‘the corner’. 

I don't think we ever had a league game won that season; we were always capable of conceding two or three.

12 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Yeah, both him and Luis Alberto turned out to have very decent careers in top flight leagues and we barely played them when we were crying out for a bit of depth.

I reckon Aspas might have just been one of those players who is a real one club man though. Brilliant legend at Celta, just not the same anywhere else.

• Upvote 1

Lloyd had already won four England amateur international caps by the age of 17, but only played one season with lower-league Bristol Rovers when he was bought by Shankly to replace Ron Yeats. 'Larry, I have come to the conclusion that you would kick your grandmother for a fiver,' Bill Shankly told Lloyd as their talks began about a move to Liverpool. 'I would actually kick her for half of that,' Lloyd replied. 

https://www.lfchistory.net/players/player/profile/363

IMG_0039.jpeg

• Upvote 1