You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Arsenal 3 Liverpool 1 - Match Reaction

A deserved defeat and a self inflicted one, as the Reds didn't make the most of a lifeline given to them just before half time and proceeded to hand Arsenal the points with some calamitous defending.

TLW Editor Dave Usher is joined by Paul Natton and Julian Richards to sift through the wreckage of a rare defeat that has let Arsenal back into the race and opened the door for Manchester City.

View full article

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic

I am hoping that this is going to be an hour of tantric chanting over the top of birdsong, with a calming voice telling me to breathe and that everything is going to be alright. 

It's my only hope...

• Upvote 3

If you’ve got the resilience to do the Podcast after that performance then the least I can do is listen to it.  
We were awful but might have got something out of the game until the fuck up. I  mostly blame it on Virgil because Ali tried to clear out a difficult bouncing ball but his kick hit Virgil’s arse on the way.  After that what little momentum we had was completely lost. 
A right side of Gakpo, Grav and Trent is about the worst combination we can come up with for a difficult away game. Hopefully Robbo can get some form soon so we can play Gomez or Bradley at RB in away games and just play Trent at home until he’s ready to do the dirty work again.  
I think Jurgen was having us on saying Nunez not playing was tactical - he didn’t look like he was moving at all freely to me.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, razor said:

I am hoping that this is going to be an hour of tantric chanting over the top of birdsong, with a calming voice telling me to breathe and that everything is going to be alright. 

It's my only hope...

That shit will just get you worked up.

When Brentford beat City tonight, you can relax.

I thought you (Paul in particular) went easy on Trent there, if I'm honest. I thought his performance - and even more so his attitude - was abysmal. That's not a fitness issue for me.

My other (related) hobby horse this season: I don't like the three Dutch lads in the same team. That's unsustainable levels of laid-back. Throw in Trent and we're practically comatose. 

• Upvote 3

Agree completely with aws. The fuck up ruined a difficult night. If Darwin was capable of coming on as a sub (he wasn’t) then he was capable of starting.

Arsenal were able to kick us while we were down (injuries and a vacancy of key positions) - in other words, they weren’t that good, but were good enough to take advantage of a less than confident Liverpool, not firing on all cylinders.

This was a blip. I’m convinced. I’m also confident that both Arsenal and City will drop more points. We were five points clear because they were already dropping points.

We go again. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, aws said:

If you’ve got the resilience to do the Podcast after that performance then the least I can do is listen to it.  
We were awful but might have got something out of the game until the fuck up. I  mostly blame it on Virgil because Ali tried to clear out a difficult bouncing ball but his kick hit Virgil’s arse on the way.  After that what little momentum we had was completely lost. 
A right side of Gakpo, Grav and Trent is about the worst combination we can come up with for a difficult away game. Hopefully Robbo can get some form soon so we can play Gomez or Bradley at RB in away games and just play Trent at home until he’s ready to do the dirty work again.  
I think Jurgen was having us on saying Nunez not playing was tactical - he didn’t look like he was moving at all freely to me.  

I think if Allison had stayed back Virgil would have had a chance at clearing the ball. Martinelli was wrong side but Alli’s intervention meant the ball fell nicely into his path. We were poor but if that hadn’t happened I think we might have escaped with a point.

• Upvote 1

The last time we where this pathetic in a big match was Madrid in Paris. We're an emotional team and I think the events before that match had a huge bearing on the performance and outcome. Similarly I'm think the events on Saturday around Bradley have probably played their part. They're all in a hotel together then news spreads of a death in a  teammates family. They're not robots, that type of stuff has to play a part.

9 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

I thought you (Paul in particular) went easy on Trent there, if I'm honest. I thought his performance - and even more so his attitude - was abysmal. That's not a fitness issue for me.

I didn't think I went easy on him, but if you did then you'll probably enjoy the match report far more because I've expanded on him quite a bit in there.

Training Cone Alexander-Arnold.

• Upvote 2

Just now, johnsusername said:

On the match, I'd rather have had Jota, Nunez and Diaz up front, with Curtis, Mac and gakpo in midfield. Gravenberch is young and needs a lot of work.

Yeah that would have been better.

Just listened to the pod and was struck by the lads saying that they’d be surprised if any Reds had listened given it was on the back of a bad defeat. Don’t know about anyone else, but for me the pod becomes even more important when we have lost badly as it provides a way for me to better understand why we underperformed, as well as the chance to put our performance into perspective and/or find some reason to remain optimistic. A post-defeat pod can also provides a laugh or two when us Reds need it most. 

So chin up Dave and the team and most definitely keep delivering the pod after losses. That’s when I for one certainly need it most. 

Pistolero

• Upvote 6

• dave u unpinned this topic