You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our next manager, your choice, the poll.

Code

Who do you want as our next manager? The poll.  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as our new manager

• Xabi Alonso
    • Didier Deschamps
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Pep Guardiola
    • Pep Lijnders
    • Steven Gerrard
    • Luis Enrique
    • Michel Sánchez
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 31/05/24 at 13:10

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

We all want Xabi, but ten years ago, we would probably all wanted another successful young Leverkusen manager with limited experience and strong links to us.

Hyppia was getting nowhere near the same plaudits across Europe as Alonso was and had nowhere near the same impact, it's getting really boring having to say this all the time but the interest isn't because he has strong links to us, if anything that seems to be working against him amongst some supporters, the links to us are a bonus.

9 minutes ago, SasaS said:

We all want Xabi, but ten years ago, we would probably all wanted another successful young Leverkusen manager with limited experience and strong links to us.

We don't ALL want Xabi, but that'll be the media narrative. 

2 years ago Gerrard was a cert.  

5 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Hyppia was getting nowhere near the same plaudits across Europe as Alonso was and had nowhere near the same impact, it's getting really boring having to say this all the time but the interest isn't because he has strong links to us, if anything that seems to be working against him amongst some supporters, the links to us are a bonus.

You honestly think that 150 of us voting for him in the poll weren't heavily influenced by the fact that the hot new Leverkusen manager was "our" Xabi?

Xabi obviously the front runner but I think Thomas Frank and De Zerbi would be good choices…..

No one can replace the great man but I’d be happy with any of those three mentioned tbh.

De Zerbi lost three huge players in Caicedo, Mac Allister and Colwill at Brighton and they are still a very good side with the resources they have.

22 minutes ago, SasaS said:

You honestly think that 150 of us voting for him in the poll weren't heavily influenced by the fact that the hot new Leverkusen manager was "our" Xabi?

If the overriding factor was he was 'our' Xabi you'd assume Gerrard would have garnered more than 1 joke vote.

His performances at Leverkusen and the way he is being spoken about across Europe before we even knew we were going to need a manager should be the determining factor.

7 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

Xabi obviously the front runner but I think Thomas Frank and De Zerbi would be good choices…..

No one can replace the great man but I’d be happy with any of those three mentioned tbh.

De Zerbi lost three huge players in Caicedo, Mac Allister and Colwill at Brighton and they are still a very good side with the resources they have.

I think that would be my three, Frank is arguably the 'safer' of the three options Alonso potentially has the highest ceiling (but also the least amount of data available) and De Zerbi is the middle ground.

What all three share is that they don't do it alone and have a solid structure around them.

7 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

If the overriding factor was he was 'our' Xabi you'd assume Gerrard would have garnered more than 1 joke vote.

His performances at Leverkusen and the way he is being spoken about across Europe before we even knew we were going to need a manager should be the determining factor.

That is not what I said.

It's games like today where I look forward to De Zerbi managing us. 

He knows the value of pace and agility in the final third, players capable of destroying a defender 1 on 1. Mitoma a prime example, but he's also brought in Fati, Adingra, and Buonanotte.  Great pace and movement in small spaces. 

Whereas Nunez needs a runway to get up to speed, and he can't change direction. And Gakpo has no pace, even Diaz is a big lad, none of them are agile like a Messi, or Silva, or Saka etc. 

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

It's games like today where I look forward to De Zerbi managing us. 

He knows the value of pace and agility in the final third, players capable of destroying a defender 1 on 1. Mitoma a prime example, but he's also brought in Fati, Adingra, and Buonanotte.  Great pace and movement in small spaces. 

Whereas Nunez needs a runway to get up to speed, and he can't change direction. And Gakpo has no pace, even Diaz is a big lad, none of them are agile like a Messi, or Silva, or Saka etc. 

You might want to speak to Brighton supporters about De Zerbi vs the low block.

Maybe he won't be the guy because there is no proof of him being able to handle the pressure of winning every week, but De Zerbi has to be respected.

His football is his own, he's implemented it in every job and his teams have played well in every job. There are not many managers like that.

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Xabi all day long 

Oh and as manager as well 

Tuchel

I think he's fucking awful manager to be honest. He's a arrogant fucker aswell. Doubt he would take it anyway as he's always got the arse when people compare him to Klopp

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I think he's fucking awful manager to be honest. He's a arrogant fucker aswell. Doubt he would take it anyway as he's always got the arse when people compare him to Klopp

Yeah really poor manager him.....

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Maybe he won't be the guy because there is no proof of him being able to handle the pressure of winning every week, but De Zerbi has to be respected.

His football is his own, he's implemented it in every job and his teams have played well in every job. There are not many managers like that.

I think Klopp also hands over an unfinished jigsaw, but he's done all the sides and the foreground, really he's left 100 pieces of blue sky to finish. 

The forward line coupe be ripped out and replaced in my view, but everything else can remain in place, perhaps an extra midfielder. 

I'm not saying our forwards are shit, but there's scope for a new manager to stamp their own authority on the team with those positions. 

Jota is class, I'd keep him, but could also understand if a new manager felt his injuries were a risk and we could get close to £100m for him. 

Not advocating doing it either, but every new manager will look at it. 

22 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

So you're saying we should hire him because he won the richest game in world football? 

Id actually take Kjetil Knutsen ahead of Thomas Frank. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Is that because if he doesn't work out everyone will be calling him kuntsen?

Haha, no, basically because he has shows he knows how to win and play good attacking football in the process, while losing their best players every season. 

He has taken a club who had never won the league in Norway before to great heights with him as the manager. He took charge in 2018 after they got promoted back to the top flight in Norway.

Bodø Glimt finished second in 2003 and 1995, now they are undoubtly the best team in Norway, playing the best football. 

2016: Relegated from the top division

2017: Promoted from the second division
——————————-
2018: 11th place

2019: Runners up

2020: Winners

2021: Winners

2022: Runners up

2023: Winners

I’m not saying he should be considered, but neither should some of the others being mentioned in here.