You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Stepping down at the end of the season

dandyman

I remember crying my eyes out when Rushie legt. Dazed and confused when Kenny went. I felt deflated when Houllier finally went because he was my first really successful manager, even though he’d clearly burnt out and I was in denial. When we missed out in 2009 I thought we were done for years. When Suarez left I thought that was the end of us as a major threat for years.

Maybe I should feel the same now, but maybe I’ve been converted from a doubter to a believer.

• Upvote 4

I can only imagine how stressful a job it is. Everyone has their limits, and he obviously feels like he has reached his and he needs a break. Goodness knows he's earned it. I hope we can give him the send off he deserves with a second Premier League title.

• Upvote 7

Duncan Oldham will have an excuse to delay the book another year while he writes the chapter about the explosive reason Klopp left Liverpool. And what secret is housed in the safe at the AXA training ground?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Absolutely gutted, feel as bad now as when Kenny stepped down, only I’m 53 now & thought I’d be able to handle something like this better. I can’t. Things will never be the same again. What a fucking ride we’ve had. I just can’t see anyone getting out of this team what he does. 

I'm 56 and remember when kenny announced his leaving, my dear old mother broke the news to me . She was as gutted as me and she was on chemo at the time bless her . 

Stupid fuckin game !

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Moo said:

Gutted but not as much as I thought I would be.  I think it was inevitable he wouldn't be with us much longer and I had come to terms with that.  His reasons are not surprising, it must be exhausting competing with cheats and with one hand tied behind your back.  But the timing is very surprising indeed.

Let's keep everything crossed he goes out on a high.

I don't think it's just the competition which has exhausted him. It's the constant questions, media attention & general circus around the Premier League.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moo said:

Even if we win the league it will be tinged with sadness, let's not pretend otherwise.  That in particular is why the timing is so suss.  The announcement must have been forced by something.

Some people might not care either way and that's fine but it's also okay for people to comment on it.

Klopp.jpg

• Upvote 1

He's earned the right to make this decision and time it when he wants. It's still shattering. What an incredible privilege it's been to have him associated with the club. What a human being he is. I just hope we can find someone who'll move the team on in the right standard and style, but what an absence he'll leave behind.

• Upvote 8

4 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I can only imagine how stressful a job it is. Everyone has their limits, and he obviously feels like he has reached his and he needs a break. Goodness knows he's earned it. I hope we can give him the send off he deserves with a second Premier League title.

look what it did to kenny. 

the pressure must be immense

I'm as devastated as everyone else and I dont see the future as particularly bright.

Football was already on its last legs for me, it was only the likes of him that gave me the faith to keep watching. When he's gone, what then?

Many will disagree and point to Jurgens interviews but for me theres no way its just tiredness. That may be a factor, but the bullshit from all angles might have pressed him into this decision.

The bullshit cheating.

The PGMOL.

The media.

Our owners.

He will never admit an issue - that's not really him, maybe it will come out in the wash. All i know is he seemed fine enough at the beginning of the season, he was reinvigorated, he was excited, and now all of a sudden hes too tired to carry on? People leave their jobs, people quit their careers because of the people above them mostly. I'm hoping its not a situation where the club has been forcing their hand in certain areas that's basically made him say sod it.

I dont think its a reach to talk about Mbappe, or to talk about the potential behind the scenes documentary and to put 2 + 2 together. 

FSG would love Mbappe if the price was right, the marketing potential is off the scale. Feed this into a documentary and the hype is off the charts. Would Klopp want either of these events whilst building a second side? Hes always been about relationships, bonding, family, team ethics. Both of those things deliver neither and both are initiated by money.

People might say im mad but these owners are American businessmen, they are here to make money any way they can. Maybe they want to join the super league. maybe they are selling to someone who is unsavoury.

That's my take anyway. its just too out of the blue for me. Even if you say he decided in November, that's only what 2 and a half months in to a rebuild. Just doesn't stack up for me.

Anyway he's world class and deserves a statue and deserves all the time he needs to go and chill and take in life.

I watched that interview he did with Nasser Hussain a year or two back . For some reason I hadn’t bothered with it before . I spent the rest of the evening feeling very fortunate to have such a great man at the helm then he backheels me in the plums .

Hopefully we can win the league so he can finally have that overdue league winners parade he and we all were cruelly denied. 

Hopefully he’ll have a parade, or something else fitting, regardless of trophies…etc come the end of the season. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

If nothing else we'll now have 4 months of all those people not affiliated with Liverpool who said Klopp wasn't all because he only won one league having to agree that he's one of the best managers around in order to pursue the narrative that Liverpool are finished without him.

• Upvote 1