You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Ham (H) - Sun 24th Sep 2023 (2:00pm)

Trumo

13 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Agree.

Endo looks like a bit of a poor signing so far.

The Endo conversation will probably be immensely annoying.

If the results start not going as well, we'll be regaled with shouts of "playing square pegs in round holes" and we'll be told we need to play a player who doesn't look very good, simply because he is a 6. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Endo should not play a game that isn't in the Carabao Cup or Europa League group stage. Jones is 5 times the player right now. He's been a good complement to Mac and Szobo. He presses well,  has a physical presence and doesn't lose the ball.

They won't be competing for the same position.

Jones is ponderous on the ball. His pressing isn't great.

There's a player in there but he needs to take more risks with the ball in the last third.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Explain how. 

I'm exaggerating. Maybe his signing gave us some breathing room after the Caicedo debacle, and it seemed that way at the time, but ultimately, it will probably be pretty pointless and a bit of a waste of time. He's probably a serviceable player, in general. 

1 hour ago, Megadrive Man said:

Agree.

Endo looks like a bit of a poor signing so far.

That isn't really very coherent. 

He has hardly played, so he doesn't really look like anything. If he doesn't play, you can't judge him. Klopp insists he's a proper talent. I think Klopp has earned quite a big degree of trust, hasn't he? So it's a bit concerning that the player isn't doing what he was signed to do and freeing others to play further up the pitch. That's a puzzle. But it's it's not a puzzle to leap over and reach an easy solution.

Matip, by the way, deserved plenty of praise. If he'd been a horse many fans would have shot him before now. He played a very good game. Gomez, likewise, he got into some really clever positions and did a decent job, after, once again, being written off as a liability.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

That isn't really very coherent. 

He has hardly played, so he doesn't really look like anything. If he doesn't play, you can't judge him. Klopp insists he's a proper talent. I think Klopp has earned quite a big degree of trust, hasn't he? So it's a bit concerning that the player isn't doing what he was signed to do and freeing others to play further up the pitch. That's a puzzle. But it's it's not a puzzle to leap over and reach an easy solution.

Matip, by the way, deserved plenty of praise. If he'd been a horse many fans would have shot him before now. He played a very good game. Gomez, likewise, he got into some really clever positions and did a decent job, after, once again, being written off as a liability.

I know, from what we have seen so far he has struggled through. It's also partly because the other midfielders that have joined us have made such a big immediate impact. I'm just judging them on their opening games.

2 hours ago, TheRedMachine said:

Jones has played every game he’s available over this 18 match unbeaten run. I’d say he’s beyond ready, he’s actually doing it. 

I thought Jones had a cracking game today. Pressed well, used the ball well and quickly and from where I was sat (waiting for motd now) looked really unlucky with an offside goal. 

57 minutes ago, Jennings said:

They won't be competing for the same position.

Jones is ponderous on the ball. His pressing isn't great.

There's a player in there but he needs to take more risks with the ball in the last third.

Pressing isn't great? He's probably the best in the squad right now. He's clearly not there to take loads of risks, they've spent years drilling it out of him. He's there to take care of the ball and use his natural instincts to get on the end of things. All those things where there today. 

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Grinch said:

That’ll settle the nerves.  Can’t wait to sign a six and let Mac and Szobo do their thing.  Get that signing right and we instantly go from a poor to great midfield.

Must be a great team to watch for the neutral but a betting man couldn’t go anywhere near our games.

3-1. Easy

8 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Yea I haven't seen anything of note from Mac yet. An entirely new team for him and midfield for us, so might take time. Maybe a dedicated 6 would free him up more.

The Gaffer clearly doesn’t trust Endo yet, but sooner or later he’s got to get MacAlister out of that position.

Last year we had no energy. This season, we are fitter than everyone.

With 10 men we looked more energetic than Newcastle whose fitness everyone raves about.

I wouldn’t be Moyes' biggest fan but his team would always be well organised and in good physical shape but West Ham were out on their feet after 65 minutes today. 

I know we had players that were losing their legs on our pitch last season but I believe that we fucked up pre-season with a shorter summer and prepping for the world cup. 

I think we look better in a 4231 but we are on a roll. It's great. 

• Upvote 1