You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Thinking on this, we should throw everything at Caicedo. 

Given he can play at right back and playing in a hybrid role towards the end of last season (ie the opposite way round to what Trent was doing), he’d be perfect.

It would also piss Chelsea off, although we’d need to get Colwill off them first. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

I was joking about the roids for a cheap gag. Bit naughty for me to say that as he is clearly a proper pro. He had low body fat before he hasn't actually had much of a change - just a tweak. 

No sweat mate . Apologies for going all Arnie !

Let them both go - they were both absolutely at the very core of the absolute black hole our midfield has become and neither are ever going to get back to being able to do what we need them to do at a high enough level.

A full blown engine replacement to inject the things we have been missing so badly and get rid of the no longer up to the job parts.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Because your asking him to slot in as a fullback. DM-CB is one thing, DM/RB is another. Also Tent came in and didn't get injured straight away. Asking him to cover Trent is asking him to learn a whole new position and make the step up at the same time

Personally I'm not sure klopp would see it as so difficult. Klopp put this formation in on the back of one days training. I'm sure he thinks it's pretty normal for intelligent footballers to follow instructions. I'm not saying it would be easy for bajcetic, it shouldn't be, this is elite level sport, but I honestly don't think klopp would think twice about it..

13 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Al Ettifaq are hopeful that the Liverpool captain will be allowed to leave for free or a minimal transfer fee. If a high transfer fee is sought be Liverpool the deal is unlikely go through.

I wonder what we’d class as a decent fee? We won’t let him go for free (or at least we shouldn’t). £10m?

I had no issues when Henderson screwed us in a position of strength. It's his agents job to use all the tools available to him to get the best deal for his client. But I think here we are in the strongest position if Henderson wants to go. If his new club can afford 700k per week, they should be expected to pay more than a fair fee. If we let Henderson go for such a price, it suggests we are very happy to get rid to me. 

13 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

I'd say that's about right. How much would you value him at?

No idea why I quoted this! Haha. 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

This "leader" and all the shouts about off the field lark is IMO massively over egged.

He's a 33 year old in massive decline, who now lacks all the key physical attributes needed to play in a Klopp midfield - we'll be a better team by replacing him with a younger, stronger, more mobile, more athletic player.

The "leadership" will come naturally from elsewhere like it always has when previous 'leaders' left.

Honestly for me, I lost a whole lot of respect for almost the entire team and their leadership skills last season. When it got tough, we gave up pretty quickly and a lot of those players (Henderson included) didn't look like they wanted to be out there. One of the few exceptions for me was milner and he's gone anyway. It's easy to be a leader when things are going well. It's how you deal with adversity that is the key. Maybe Henderson and a few others have so much to deal with their own form (thinking of vvd in particular), it diminishes their ability to lead and help get more out of those around them. 

If we're only asking £10m for Hendo then everyone involved needs their arses kicking. He's got two years left and we would need to replace him. He's one of the home grown contingent, and they're way more expensive to replace. He's also our captain and the culture setter in the dressing room. People can scoff at that as much as they like, but it's a thing.

Him and Milner were massive in that regard. Milner has gone, but having Hendo around for another year would soften that blow. Losing both isn't ideal, so we need compensating if that happens. £10m would be a joke. I'd take £10m off Juve or Atletico or someone of that ilk, but not these fuckers. If they want to completely distort the market by quadrupling player salaries, fine, they can compensate the clubs too.

We've been planning for the next couple of years and he was part of those plans, so now those plans would change and we'd need to spend money to structure the squad accordingly. 

They're swinging their dicks throwing money around to show how legitimate they are. Fine, you can pay £50m for him or you can fuck off. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

So Saudi have now shown interest in Thiago, Henderson and Fabinho, more or less simultaneously?

No shenanigans or efforts to destabilise going on here, to be sure.

You reckon FSG have spotted three ageing central midfielders costing £600k per week between them and been on the blower to the lads in Saudi?

Just now, Jose Jones said:

You reckon FSG have spotted three ageing central midfielders costing £600k per week between them and been on the blower to the lads in Saudi?

You may think they’re rounding up the funds to make Madrid an offer they can’t refuse for Bellingham, but I couldn’t possibly comment.

58 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t agree with the bolder bit. 

If that were the case, why was he so, so, so much better in the World Cup? 

Could it he was just the same as VVD, Trent, Robbo & Fabinho last season? Something was clearly not right throughout the squad. The rest started to find their feet towards the end of the season a little. 

Anyway, I’m still not sure what to make of all of this. 

If he truely doesn’t want to be a “squad” player and wants guaranteed starting time, then Saudi or anywhere else, then I thank him for his service and wish him all the best in the future. 

Same if he just wants the money. He won’t be the first player to have moved for a pay rise and he certainly won’t be the last. 

If he’s trying to twist Klopp’s arm with a guaranteed starting role, then I’m of the opinion nothing should be given, it should all be earned on merit. If any of our midfielders are playing better than Hendo, then they should be the ones starting. 

I’m also torn on the leadership stuff. We’ve already lost Milner and Firmino, who have been hugely important for us. Hendo leaving feels a bit too much in the same. 

It could leave us lacking nous in midfield if we have to overly rely on Jones, Elliott, Bajectic and, potentially, Lavia. 

On the other hand, we’re not an inexperienced side. A good thing about the side is they’ve all grown through their experiences together in the last few years.  They all have multiple title & cup challenges under their belts. Mac Allister has won the World Cup (where I assume the pressure is intense) and Szoboszlai is his national team captain, CL regular and won the German Cup. 

Part of me feels Hendo leaving would be a mistake, part of me feels we should rip the band aid off. 

I am all in on ripping the plaster off.

It will serve us better IMHO - it is the right time.

A new midfield with legs, mobility, athleticism, strength - it was sickening watching teams bully us last season, running past, by and through us - Hendo and Fabinho being the worst culprits for it, as well as losing challenges regularly, failing to win 2nd balls and from broken play.

And don't get me started on the leadership stuff.....they were world class at hiding last season.

Clear the decks - get in players who offer us a big improvement in all the above things and get this team looking like a Jurgen Klopp team again instead of a team being asked to be a Jurgen Klopp team without the tools to be one.

• Upvote 1

Just now, an tha said:

I am all in on ripping the plaster off.

It will serve us better IMHO - it is the right time.

A new midfield with legs, mobility, athleticism, strength - it was sickening watching teams bully us last season, running past, by and through us - Hendo and Fabinho being the worst culprits for it, as well as losing challemges regularly, failing to win 2nd balls and from broken play.

Clear the decks - get in players who offer us a big improvement in all the above things and get this team looking like a Jurgen Klopp team again instead of a team being asked to be a Jurgen Klopp team without the tools to be one.

As long as people buy in to that and accept the adjustment period.

2 minutes ago, dave u said:

If we're only asking £10m for Hendo then everyone involved needs their arses kicking. He's got two years left and we would need to replace him. He's one of the home grown contingent, and they're way more expensive to replace. He's also our captain and the culture setter in the dressing room. People can scoff at that as much as they like, but it's a thing.

Him and Milner were massive in that regard. Milner has gone, but having Hendo around for another year would soften that blow. Losing both isn't ideal, so we need compensating if that happens. £10m would be a joke. I'd take £10m off Juve or Atletico or someone of that ilk, but not these fuckers. If they want to completely distort the market by quadrupling player salaries, fine, they can compensate the clubs too.

We've been planning for the next couple of years and he was part of those plans, so now those plans would change and we'd need to spend money to structure the squad accordingly. 

They're swinging their dicks throwing money around to show how legitimate they are. Fine, you can pay £50m for him or you can fuck off. 

Do you not think after the season we had last year, a bit of a change in culture might be a good thing? And having a captain who seems more aligned to doing his best for England than his club is not ideal? Everyone in the squad must have seen what we all saw last season, that he just doesn't have the legs unless he's used sparingly, so his continued presence with the national team is to the detriment of his club responsibilities. I agree 10m is low, I can't quite believe that's how low our bar is, but it just tells me nobody at the club thinks it's a bad thing if he's gone. 

And if it wasn't for all this Saudi madness, if we'd have been offered 10m from say athletico Madrid after his season last year, we'd all be pretty happy. 

26 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

So Saudi have now shown interest in Thiago, Henderson and Fabinho, more or less simultaneously?

No shenanigans or efforts to destabilise going on here, to be sure.

Destabilising us by giving us actual money for shit / permacrocked players on huge wages and helping us to improve the squad?

10 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

As long as people buy in to that and accept the adjustment period.

I don't think the adjustment period will be half as much of a thing as people think.

Replacing ageing, declining players with a lot of heavy miles on their clocks and frankly IMO diminished hunger with younger, stronger, more athletic, more hungry, more mobile, fresher and now better players, will see us make gains and pretty quickly.

We have enough experience and know how in the squad from other players to cover off all the culture/leadership stuff people are worried about and i would like to think we will bring in at least one 'big' player in terms of experience, example setting etc. There may be a bit of an issue with gelling and getting understanding sorted but i don't think it will be a big problem. The worry for me is will we do enough in a limited time to actually get replacements in.

I am excited by what possibilities are open to us here - although frankly i fully expect both Hendo and Fab to still be here come end of window and to be as bad as they were last season.....

• Upvote 1