You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

8 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

I think most of us all assumed he'd be happy to slip in to 'the milner role' but it's possible that he doesn't just want to be a back up player. 

I think if this was the case he’d be looking to go somewhere in England where he could play regularly rather than a sham sportswashing league. 

Then again, being a backup player vs 700k a week might be what he’s weighing up. 

Woke up feeling proper shit about this. 

4 hours ago, CapeRed said:

He doesn’t need to be on roids to get that body at his age.Eating the right food and training hard will lead to a calorie deficit which will lead to a big reduction in visceral fat leading to a six pack etc. If he was on roids he would be much bigger muscle wise.

I was joking about the roids for a cheap gag. Bit naughty for me to say that as he is clearly a proper pro. He had low body fat before he hasn't actually had much of a change - just a tweak. 

49 minutes ago, Freddo said:

It's not as if we don't have plenty of leaders so that part of this is being over egged. We have virgil, alli, mo, robbo, trent as the makings of a future captain. Plenty of leadership with or without Henderson. 

Three of those lads are captains of their national teams.

Have a sense Hendo is playing a game here, similar to the shitty links with PSG and Atletico Madrid. We'll end up delighted to have such a man leading the team, a man that turned down 700k per week.

I think you need to be a proper cunt to play that game well and he just isn't one. He'll look like a bit of a tool.

I agree whatever way it plays out now, I get the astronomical figures but it isn't a great look for him to have entertained it. Other players have simply said 'no' without anything being played out in public for pr or personal gain.

While he will command respect off the pitch for all the things he does and standards he sets, I also think he may have an issue with regards to his 'authority' in the squad if he stays regardless of this offer. It's much harder to point and shout at your team mates when you aren't the player you are and your inclusion represents a drop off from the strongest first 11. I suspect he knows this as well

The leadership part on the pitch is massively over egged in the UK.  You need strong, talented characters all over the pitch, and we've had that in abundance.  I'd also say that the whole 'leading by example' stuff attributed to payers like Gerrard is massively over-egged too. You either have players who are confident, strong characters and therefore don't need someone shouting instructions, or morale boosting stuff, or you're a meek (more than likely young) player who gets a big boost from the Captain, or a senior player, shouting positive comments to shots/passes/tackles you make, or helping you get through a game with constant instruction (i.e. the senior CB helping the young CB, or senior CM helping the young CM). 

Some player just playing really good is great of course, but I'm not sure how it's deemed 'leadership' given the different personalities a real leader has to cater for in a game by dealing with them all differently.  But if you have a team of them, then the in-game Captains role is diluted

The real difference between a good Captain and a poor one is all the stuff either side of match day.  We used to always hear about how Gerrard would train like a demon (a place you can "lead by example") and was always there to meet new players to make them welcome, and was there for the young kids coming through in their day to day settling in.  That's what makes a real Captain.  And Henderson has that in abundance.  He instils and constantly champions and oversees the ethos of Klopps team.  All reports were he was on the players at all times making sure hard work and commitment and the right attitude were present everyday and not just for 90 mins at Anfield.  He did this to such a point that at England he was seen as the real Captain also, with all reports at that Euros that the players came to him and not Kane with issues.  This resulted in him being appointed the unofficial 'Captains, Captain' by the other PL Captains.  The respect for him is about as high as it can be.  Losing that, having also just lost the other big leader at the club, Milner, I fear is not a good thing and could leave a vacuum.  Robertson is great fun and all that, but he doesn't come across like a Milner/Henderson/Gerrard type.  vanDijk too.  Very cool and an excellent player, but that day to day leader?  I'm not sure.  

I think losing a Captain and the vice-Captain who were such every-day leaders to an extraordinary degree, in the same window could be very negative for the team.  

• Upvote 2

Seen a few shouts for the next captain to be Trent or Salah if Hendo goes. Personally I think what Trent needs is a season of just living football again and flourishing in his newish role. Salah too, keep his head in the business of scoring goals. Shit, just do a Have I Got News For You guest captain every week, as long as we have leaders on the pitch.

Should also say, I love Henderson for everything he has made of himself and what he's achieved here, but he can fuck off if he heads over there.  I fully get that £36m a year tax free is a ridiculous amount of money, but he's made his money anyway.  He can get by without it and save his morals. 

Gerrard too.  He's one of our best ever players (and arguably our best), but he's the type of person you can just never take to.  He's always had it in him to be a twat.  So I wasn't hugely surprised by him taking the blood money.

I'm refusing to process the Bobby Firmino stuff as I just can't....

Anyone saying 'he's already earning vastly beyond what he needs or can spend' are forgetting about the imprisoning effect of money. Wealthy people are addicted to amassing it in a way that those who don't have huge amounts can and never will be. 

Also, in terms of all these players being offered contracts in Saudi Arabia, it's pretty obvious what advice they'll be getting from their agents and related entourages, given that they'll also gain hugely.    

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

The leadership part on the pitch is massively over egged in the UK.  You need strong, talented characters all over the pitch, and we've had that in abundance.  I'd also say that the whole 'leading by example' stuff attributed to payers like Gerrard is massively over-egged too. You either have players who are confident, strong characters and therefore don't need someone shouting instructions, or morale boosting stuff, or you're a meek (more than likely young) player who gets a big boost from the Captain, or a senior player, shouting positive comments to shots/passes/tackles you make, or helping you get through a game with constant instruction (i.e. the senior CB helping the young CB, or senior CM helping the young CM). 

Some player just playing really good is great of course, but I'm not sure how it's deemed 'leadership' given the different personalities a real leader has to cater for in a game by dealing with them all differently.  But if you have a team of them, then the in-game Captains role is diluted

The real difference between a good Captain and a poor one is all the stuff either side of match day.  We used to always hear about how Gerrard would train like a demon (a place you can "lead by example") and was always there to meet new players to make them welcome, and was there for the young kids coming through in their day to day settling in.  That's what makes a real Captain.  And Henderson has that in abundance.  He instils and constantly champions and oversees the ethos of Klopps team.  All reports were he was on the players at all times making sure hard work and commitment and the right attitude were present everyday and not just for 90 mins at Anfield.  He did this to such a point that at England he was seen as the real Captain also, with all reports at that Euros that the players came to him and not Kane with issues.  This resulted in him being appointed the unofficial 'Captains, Captain' by the other PL Captains.  The respect for him is about as high as it can be.  Losing that, having also just lost the other big leader at the club, Milner, I fear is not a good thing and could leave a vacuum.  Robertson is great fun and all that, but he doesn't come across like a Milner/Henderson/Gerrard type.  vanDijk too.  Very cool and an excellent player, but that day to day leader?  I'm not sure.  

I think losing a Captain and the vice-Captain who were such every-day leaders to an extraordinary degree, in the same window could be very negative for the team.  

As big an issue for me is us playing with a completely new midfield which will require trial and error tinkering during a live season. Fabinho and even permacrock Thiago are now critically important for us in terms of having some semblance of continuity.  

2 hours ago, Mook said:

It could be a blow in terms of experience but then I think about a lot of our games last season and the midfield were a fucking disgrace. Maybe clearing the majority of them out will be a good thing. 

I can't see how it can be much worse.

Agree. 

Milner hardly played and Henderson hardly moved when played. 

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

As big an issue for me is us playing with a completely new midfield which will require trial and error tinkering during a live season. Fabinho and even permacrock Thiago are now critically important for us in terms of having some semblance of continuity.  

Elliot knows the ropes now, as inexpereinced as he is, and I'd wager he'd be a better and more consistant guide for the new players in the press and patterns etc.

He's the one who was trusted most last year and sticks to his brief almost to the letter.

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

How pissed off Chelsea fans are at the idea of Colwill leaving means he is the one I really want. Try and grab him while Chelsea are trying to sanitise their bullshit.

I feel the same way, but the chances of getting him are slim to none – Boehley has a massive ego, and there's no way he'd let him come here with the flak he'd get for selling him to a 'rival' so soon after letting Mount go. They'll have enough conveniently inflated Saudi deals to satisfy FFP too.

This "leader" and all the shouts about off the field lark is IMO massively over egged.

He's a 33 year old in massive decline, who now lacks all the key physical attributes needed to play in a Klopp midfield - we'll be a better team by replacing him with a younger, stronger, more mobile, more athletic player.

The "leadership" will come naturally from elsewhere like it always has when previous 'leaders' left.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

I feel the same way, but the chances of getting him are slim to none – Boehley has a massive ego, and there's no way he'd let him come here with the flak he'd get for selling him to a 'rival' so soon after letting Mount go. They'll have enough conveniently inflated Saudi deals to satisfy FFP too.

The other way to look at it is if we pay Boehley money for Colwill then Boehley has money to buy another player. That's clearly an itch he can't help scratching. 

39 minutes ago, an tha said:

This "leader" and all the shouts about off the field lark is IMO massively over egged.

He's a 33 year old in massive decline, now lacks all the key physical attributes needed to play in a Klopp midfield - we'll be a better team by replacing him with a younger, stronger, more mobile, more athletic player.

The "leadership" will come naturally from elsewhere like it always has when previous 'leaders' left.

I don’t agree with the bolder bit. 

If that were the case, why was he so, so, so much better in the World Cup? 

Could it he was just the same as VVD, Trent, Robbo & Fabinho last season? Something was clearly not right throughout the squad. The rest started to find their feet towards the end of the season a little. 

Anyway, I’m still not sure what to make of all of this. 

If he truely doesn’t want to be a “squad” player and wants guaranteed starting time, then Saudi or anywhere else, then I thank him for his service and wish him all the best in the future. 

Same if he just wants the money. He won’t be the first player to have moved for a pay rise and he certainly won’t be the last. 

If he’s trying to twist Klopp’s arm with a guaranteed starting role, then I’m of the opinion nothing should be given, it should all be earned on merit. If any of our midfielders are playing better than Hendo, then they should be the ones starting. 

I’m also torn on the leadership stuff. We’ve already lost Milner and Firmino, who have been hugely important for us. Hendo leaving feels a bit too much in the same. 

It could leave us lacking nous in midfield if we have to overly rely on Jones, Elliott, Bajectic and, potentially, Lavia. 

On the other hand, we’re not an inexperienced side. A good thing about the side is they’ve all grown through their experiences together in the last few years.  They all have multiple title & cup challenges under their belts. Mac Allister has won the World Cup (where I assume the pressure is intense) and Szoboszlai is his national team captain, CL regular and won the German Cup. 

Part of me feels Hendo leaving would be a mistake, part of me feels we should rip the band aid off.