You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Uni costs

elvis

Youngest is off to uni in September, hoping to get into Liverpool uni. It's steaming my piss , the thought of shelling out 20k for 3 years accommodation going straight down the drain. 

Does anyone have experience of buying student accommodation , either for your own kids or perhaps just a long-term investment. On the surface 75-85k doesn't seem too expensive, we could probably get 25000 together as a deposit. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, elvis said:

Youngest is off to uni in September, hoping to get into Liverpool uni. It's steaming my piss , the thought of shelling out 20k for 3 years accommodation going straight down the drain. 

Does anyone have experience of buying student accommodation , either for your own kids or perhaps just a long-term investment. On the surface 75-85k doesn't seem too expensive, we could probably get 25000 together as a deposit. 

One thing to be aware of is that Buy to let income counts towards your income tax bill even if you use it to pay a mortgage. You need to structure the whole deal via a limited company else you’ll end up with a big tax bill. I’d go and see an accountant to sort it. 

13 hours ago, elvis said:

what are they studying

37 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

Alternatively, tell her to get a fucking job and pay for her own accommodation. I had two jobs when I was at Uni and still had time to get hammered.

I worked in a hotel kitchen as a pot washer. It’s actually a brilliant job for a student as you get fed restaurant quality food every shift, you get to drink the half bottles of wine left over when somebody orders by the glass and you get to sleep with the waitresses. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, elvis said:

You can get something good for about £130

5 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

We need more student accommodation, not property youngsters can buy themselves and get on the map. 

She wouldn't be buying it , I would . Not arsed about making profit , I'd be more than happy to get rid when she's finished and make less of a loss , over 6k a year is too much to be giving away at my time of life.

I've no interest in buy to let otherwise 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I worked in a hotel kitchen as a pot washer. It’s actually a brilliant job for a student as you get fed restaurant quality food every shift, you get to drink the half bottles of wine left over when somebody orders by the glass and you get to sleep with the waitresses. 

Sounds great , do they take the over fifties?

16 minutes ago, elvis said:

Sounds great , do they take the over fifties?

Best job I ever had. My uni mates were all living off beans on toast whilst every shift  I was eating steak and lobster washed down with decent wine. Anything that was left at the end of the evening was free to the staff. We would all have a massive meal about 11.30 on a Saturday night then go to a dodgy night club. This was in the 1980s on the south coast so a lot of the staff had moved down from the north to find work so didn’t know anybody locally outside the kitchen. We all lived in bedsits but ate and drank like Kings. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, elvis said:

She wouldn't be buying it , I would . Not arsed about making profit , I'd be more than happy to get rid when she's finished and make less of a loss , over 6k a year is too much to be giving away at my time of life.

I've no interest in buy to let otherwise 

I understood mate.