You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

So United where with in a gnats pube away from signing Bellamy before Dortmund he's a united fan so I've heard it might be bullshit, they are way richer than us can offer way way more money and they are the shittest of the sides that will go all out to sign him next year, somehow I think the idea he's signing for us to be a bit far fetched.. 

We might get Bellamy, but will struggle with Bellingham I reckon.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

So United where with in a gnats pube away from signing Bellamy before Dortmund he's a united fan so I've heard it might be bullshit, they are way richer than us can offer way way more money and they are the shittest of the sides that will go all out to sign him.

Bellingham was a Liverpool fan, Gerrard was his hero growing up.

Once we've binned off Keita we can offer him the number 8 shirt next season!

I don’t know what all the doom and gloom is around us signing Bellingham.

We beat City, Chelsea and Arsenal to VVD and we weren’t nearly as good a side then as we are now - we signed VVD in our first season back in the CL. The fee for VVD was astronomical as well. 

I’m sure both Chelsea and City could / did offer Southampton & VVD more money than we did, we still came out on top.

Once Klopp has taken you Big Dipper and Steeplechase at Blackpool, you’re a red for life.

15 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t know what all the doom and gloom is around us signing Bellingham.

We beat City, Chelsea and Arsenal to VVD and we weren’t nearly as good a side then as we are now - we signed VVD in our first season back in the CL. The fee for VVD was astronomical as well. 

I’m sure both Chelsea and City could / did offer Southampton & VVD more money than we did, we still came out on top.

Once Klopp has taken you Big Dipper and Steeplechase at Blackpool, you’re a red for life.

Because FSG don't have a coutinho to fund it this time around 

After reading on here “Laimer wants Bayern” I thought I’d do some googling. 

I can’t find anything where Laimer says he wants Bayern but can Bayern did have 3 bids rejected in the summer for him, so I assume he’s also agreed to the move / terms at some point. 

We were told no transfer as we moved to late in the window - again, I doubt we’d speak to RBL if he wasn’t open to it.

IMO, I don’t think anything is finalised yet. Obviously Bayern is a huge draw for anybody in the Bundesliga, however, so

are we and Klopp. 

There is also the question on whether Bayern would move for him if Nagelsmann is sacked. 

Anyway, seems best we didn’t sign him this summer, he’s injured as well - ankle ligament and will only be back shorty before the World Cup. 

15 minutes ago, HBenn said:

No shit Sherlock. Funny how the journos werent mentioning that caveat during the summer. Playing the fans like a fiddle!

Only the thick ones.

If you have to have it spelt out to you that signings for ANY club are dictated by cost and willingness of the player then that's not really the fault of anyone but yourself. The only variable in that is where the cap is set by each club.

The problem is people take a fact, decide on a result and then weave an intricate plot as to why that thing will or won't happen and then get annoyed at their own conjecture. You seem particularly fond of doing it.

29 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Only the thick ones.

If you have to have it spelt out to you that signings for ANY club are dictated by cost and willingness of the player then that's not really the fault of anyone but yourself. The only variable in that is where the cap is set by each club.

The problem is people take a fact, decide on a result and then weave an intricate plot as to why that thing will or won't happen and then get annoyed at their own conjecture. You seem particularly fond of doing it.

0DC2F243-70D0-47D4-8A62-8DE56B8FDBF0.gif

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

Only the thick ones.

Come on, while in a way admirable that you will always find a way to defend our owners of any perceived criticism surely even you can see that the club are not (politely) looking particularly good over this issue?

They let it be known initially that they will wait until next summer to buy a midfielder and all of the journos talk up how they want a very specific player while name-checking just one player - Bellingham. Where do you think they got that name from? Do you think they all individually went on Football Manager and thought "Bellingham" or maybe, just maybe, somebody in the club leaked that name? 

You posted an article showing how meticulously the club scout, we have seen it mentioned many times that they don't just have one player identified for a role. You now want us to believe that, for 3 positions, they were all unavailable? In light of the fact that the most reliable journo says that wasn't the case or our own manager thinks our owners should be less risk averse? 

Maybe, most fans didn't want to believe that the club would be so stupid as to wait another summer without Bellingham being a sure fire thing? Maybe they took encouragement from the fact that there was no caveats over price because it was obvious to the World and it's mother that Bellingham will be stupidly priced next summer. Maybe they took further belief that they weren't given the money for one of the available targets because Bellingham was a sure fire thing and the owners knew it was a huge outlay. 

Personally I hoped that we had something lined up for those reasons but caveated it with thinking that with FSG you just never know the risks they will take to avoid spending. 

If you really believe that the club stayed quiet on the caveat on price because it was obvious then good luck to you. Think it's more likely they were very aware of the backlash if they effectively said, with a large number of weeks of the window remaining, they were waiting for a player they may not be able to afford. 

• Upvote 2

I heard an interview with a youth coach Bellingham had who said he is the loveliest, most down to earth kid you could meet. Seems to have two really good parents.

My sense is that he is the kind of lad who could buy into the project and Jurgen and would accept being paid less than other clubs would offer him. Who knows though and to be fair if Chelsea, United etc were offering a lot more and we were lowballing him, I'm sure he and his advisors might get pissed off.

We have shown that we spend big on players, so I think we could definitely go to about 100-120 million on him, with players being sold to fund him. 

He is one for the next 10-15 years so he's a no brainer of a signing and he pays for himself if he does the business on the pitch.

5 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I heard an interview with a youth coach Bellingham had who said he is the loveliest, most down to earth kid you could meet. Seems to have two really good parents.

My sense is that he is the kind of lad who could buy into the project and Jurgen and would accept being paid less than other clubs would offer him. Who knows though and to be fair if Chelsea, United etc were offering a lot more and we were lowballing him, I'm sure he and his advisors might get pissed off.

We have shown that we spend big on players, so I think we could definitely go to about 100-120 million on him, with players being sold to fund him. 

He is one for the next 10-15 years so he's a no brainer of a signing and he pays for himself if he does the business on the pitch.

Ignoring the whole fee and wages aspect, my only concern from a playing perspective is whether we realistically get 10-15 years out of him. 

He has played a lot of games for Dortmund and IF the expectation is that he would come here and play every week initially, in a high intensity style, would he start picking up loads of niggles at 22-23. 

I cannot think of many all action midfielders that have played as many times as he has at this age and continue like that to 30-31. 

A minor concern but possibly a consideration