You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

The problem is people take a fact, decide on a result and then weave an intricate plot as to why that thing will or won't happen and then get annoyed at their own conjecture. You seem particularly fond of doing it.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

1 hour ago, HBenn said:

Come on, while in a way admirable that you will always find a way to defend our owners of any perceived criticism surely even you can see that the club are not (politely) looking particularly good over this issue?

They let it be known initially that they will wait until next summer to buy a midfielder and all of the journos talk up how they want a very specific player while name-checking just one player - Bellingham. Where do you think they got that name from? Do you think they all individually went on Football Manager and thought "Bellingham" or maybe, just maybe, somebody in the club leaked that name? 

You posted an article showing how meticulously the club scout, we have seen it mentioned many times that they don't just have one player identified for a role. You now want us to believe that, for 3 positions, they were all unavailable? In light of the fact that the most reliable journo says that wasn't the case or our own manager thinks our owners should be less risk averse? 

Maybe, most fans didn't want to believe that the club would be so stupid as to wait another summer without Bellingham being a sure fire thing? Maybe they took encouragement from the fact that there was no caveats over price because it was obvious to the World and it's mother that Bellingham will be stupidly priced next summer. Maybe they took further belief that they weren't given the money for one of the available targets because Bellingham was a sure fire thing and the owners knew it was a huge outlay. 

Personally I hoped that we had something lined up for those reasons but caveated it with thinking that with FSG you just never know the risks they will take to avoid spending. 

If you really believe that the club stayed quiet on the caveat on price because it was obvious then good luck to you. Think it's more likely they were very aware of the backlash if they effectively said, with a large number of weeks of the window remaining, they were waiting for a player they may not be able to afford. 

We'll buy in midfield when it's no longer feasible not to. The club could still say they had the numbers this summer, but if Keita, Milner and Chamberlain all go, then they can't say that anymore and we'll buy because we'll have a real need at the position we won't be able to ignore. Simple as that.

The Bellingham thing is stupid. He's drastically overpriced. The Pearce comment is simply stating the obvious.

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Mate, all you do is post paragraphs of make-believe.

The irony of your post isn't lost on me. 

He couldn't argue back with any facts to support his position and counter my argument and neither have you. 

When you can, feel free to come back to me. 

1 hour ago, HBenn said:

Ignoring the whole fee and wages aspect, my only concern from a playing perspective is whether we realistically get 10-15 years out of him. 

He has played a lot of games for Dortmund and IF the expectation is that he would come here and play every week initially, in a high intensity style, would he start picking up loads of niggles at 22-23. 

I cannot think of many all action midfielders that have played as many times as he has at this age and continue like that to 30-31. 

A minor concern but possibly a consideration 

Fair point that. I guess my hope would be that he could be a Gerrard or Roy Keane type figure who is here for a generation and more.

I think that's a fair point about him picking up injuries in a few years because a player that good is going to probably end up England captain down the line so isn't getting much rest.

54 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Who would we realistically sell next summer?

I think if Jurgen really wanted him, the club would sanction it, but he would probably need to bring in 60-70 million in player sales.

Gomez and Curtis Jones possibly off the top of my head? I would rather keep Gomez but I would be open to a buy back clause with Jones.

I'm sure there might be a few more. Can't see Kelleher or Tsimikas because both are excellent squad players with the potential to be much more, but again a buy back clause with Kelleher could interest the club.

14 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Fair point that. I guess my hope would be that he could be a Gerrard or Roy Keane type figure who is here for a generation and more.

I think that's a fair point about him picking up injuries in a few years because a player that good is going to probably end up England captain down the line so isn't getting much rest.

Yes, I would hope that too. 

Good point about England, not even factored the impact of him potentially having a standout WC and becoming a regular/main man for them. 

Gerrard is a great example. From memory he had not played anywhere the number of games Bellingham had at this age. Think Houllier was very particular about bringing him in and out to ensure he wasn't overplayed until his body was properly ready for it.

Its a fine balance for those around him isn't it? Go somewhere where he will play a lot but possibly not too much to run that risk of injuries hampering/curtailing his career.

The fear is if he came here, his cost would be so high and we wouldn't also be able to bring in the 1 or 2 others we may well need to ensure he doesn't have to play every week.

For that reason, aside from the money and transfer fee City and RM can offer, I could see how they could also convince his family on the footballing care side of playing for them as well. 

43 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I think if Jurgen really wanted him, the club would sanction it, but he would probably need to bring in 60-70 million in player sales.

Gomez and Curtis Jones possibly off the top of my head? I would rather keep Gomez but I would be open to a buy back clause with Jones.

I'm sure there might be a few more. Can't see Kelleher or Tsimikas because both are excellent squad players with the potential to be much more, but again a buy back clause with Kelleher could interest the club.

The problem is if we sell any of those players we need to replace them too.

I'd be happy to sell Jones but that would mean we'd need four midfielders next summer plus an attacker unless somebody like Morton can take the Jones role in the squad?

We need major investment next summer that doesn't involve selling our own players.

4 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Gosh I’m really worried about a player we might sign next year if we’re lucky and if we do him getting injured 4 years later, I can barely sleep, I can’t eat. 

If the club are genuinely looking to sign him for £100m+ then I would imagine it's a consideration that's all. Especially as reliability is supposedly a key consideration and an argument for such a high transfer fee would be his longevity. 

We have had loads of examples - Michael Owen for one - that played too much too young. 

51 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Gosh I’m really worried about a player we might sign next year if we’re lucky and if we do him getting injured 4 years later, I can barely sleep, I can’t eat. 

Liverpool signing a midfielder who lasts 4 years before getting injured is right up there with my fantasy of smashing 1970’s Linda Bellingham’s gravy boat.

52 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Yes, I would hope that too. 

Good point about England, not even factored the impact of him potentially having a standout WC and becoming a regular/main man for them. 

Gerrard is a great example. From memory he had not played anywhere the number of games Bellingham had at this age. Think Houllier was very particular about bringing him in and out to ensure he wasn't overplayed until his body was properly ready for it.

Its a fine balance for those around him isn't it? Go somewhere where he will play a lot but possibly not too much to run that risk of injuries hampering/curtailing his career.

The fear is if he came here, his cost would be so high and we wouldn't also be able to bring in the 1 or 2 others we may well need to ensure he doesn't have to play every week.

For that reason, aside from the money and transfer fee City and RM can offer, I could see how they could also convince his family on the footballing care side of playing for them as well. 

My sense of Bellingham and his family is that they are motivated by the long term and the stability of that. For that reason, I'm not sure he will go to Chelsea or United (Potter is excellent imo but not sure he can stop Chelsea being a basket case and the jury is still out on Ten Haag though he does look capable to be fair from how he has handled the last few weeks). Not quite sure Real will be a fit for them either. I think it could come down to us and City.

44 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

The problem is if we sell any of those players we need to replace them too.

I'd be happy to sell Jones but that would mean we'd need four midfielders next summer plus an attacker unless somebody like Morton can take the Jones role in the squad?

We need major investment next summer that doesn't involve selling our own players.

I still have hopes for Jones but would be open to selling him with a buyback clause. I still feel Gomez can be a big player for us again and I'd be gutted if we sold him for that reason. Kelleher and Tsimikas are two very good players - you could make a big argument the Greek should be starting right now. They were just four lads I thought of that could be used to bring in decent money.

Agree totally though, we need to be making a statement signing like Bellingham (or whoever it may be) plus one or two other very good players next summer and that shouldn't depend on selling players.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

My sense of Bellingham and his family is that they are motivated by the long term and the stability of that. For that reason, I'm not sure he will go to Chelsea or United (Potter is excellent imo but not sure he can stop Chelsea being a basket case and the jury is still out on Ten Haag though he does look capable to be fair from how he has handled the last few weeks). Not quite sure Real will be a fit for them either. I think it could come down to us and City.

I still have hopes for Jones but would be open to selling him with a buyback clause. I still feel Gomez can be a big player for us again and I'd be gutted if we sold him for that reason. Kelleher and Tsimikas are two very good players - you could make a big argument the Greek should be starting right now. They were just four lads I thought of that could be used to bring in decent money.

Agree totally though, we need to be making a statement signing like Bellingham (or whoever it may be) plus one or two other very good players next summer and that shouldn't depend on selling players.

Yeah, would agree on your views of the clubs and his family and it potentially being between us and City. 

The only thing that may bring Utd into the discussion is if they have an absolutely terrific season from here, establish a clear way of playing, get CL, follow that up with a summer of 2 or 3 other big players and we stagnate  

You could potentially see them then becoming an attractive proposition. Lot of things need to go right for them though you would think for that to happen. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Ok. Could he be retiring after the work cup though? He's fucked isn't image?

He still starts for Uruguay. His record at Atletico was still decent.

I'm not suggesting he starts every week, or will be the player he was 10 years ago. Definitely a squad player until the end of the season. When we're chasing a game, he'd be incredible to bring on.