You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football 22/23

Bjornebye

20 minutes ago, Moo said:

Right, so you don't have an issue with women's football gaining popularity (hopefully increasingly so), being on the telly, attracting advertising, opening doors to young women that previous generations couldn't have dreamed of?

I think your earlier posts implied you had an issue with the women's game generally, but there could have been some hyperbole in that of course.

It's a bit odd that them sharing newspaper space or webpages seems to bother you so much. I think cricket has no business being anywhere near the main sports pages, but it's not something I'm overly bothered about. I just accept it has an audience who want to see it there and scroll past.

I'm not a particular fan of the women's game on the pitch, it has a long way to go imo.  But to get there it needs greater participation, greater opportunities, greater exposure.  So I'm made up it looks like it's on the right path and that young kids have something new to aspire to.

Well, it depends on what you mean by 'issue', and then what issue you're referring to.

I have an issue with how they're now producing shows, content and platforms to integrate the 2, as if they were the same sport (they're not) and have the same audience (they don’t).

As for your point about cricket, I've never seen a cricket story on the men's football pages online.

I haven't bought or read a newspaper in well over a decade, but unless things have changed, I'm assuming that the same real estate problems prevent them from the segregation we see on digital platforms.

Online, there no reason to collapse the 2 together.

There's a reason we have a General Forum here, and that's to separate the non-football related items, because people like me log on to read Liverpool related stories, and don't want to see threads about Boris fucking Johnson in the midst of it all.

It's the same expectation I used to have when logging onto the same sites on the same links as I have done since practically day 1 of the Internet, only to find news that I have no interest in suddenly being forced upon me.

Let them create women's sites, channels, and radio shows. I won't be on them, and power to all those who will.

There's a reason they won't do it though. It won't get the attention, and won't make anywhere near the revenue needed to promote the game.

So, I suppose I have come to the conclusion that they have to do it this way to generate the resources to improve the game, and now have another perspective that eluded me before starting this post.

Thanks for engaging.

I just clicked on the Athletics page on the BBC - chock full of broads.

Went on the Golf page (apparently there is no such thing as the Men's Golf page) - women. On the Golf page.

Cycling page - women.

Tennis page - women.

I went to the Rugby page - fuckin rugby. Women. That is gonna take awhile to generate the resources needed there. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I just clicked on the Athletics page on the BBC - chock full of broads.

Went on the Golf page (apparently there is no such thing as the Men's Golf page) - women. On the Golf page.

Cycling page - women.

Tennis page - women.

I went to the Rugby page - fuckin rugby. Women. That is gonna take awhile to generate the resources needed there. 

That's a hell of an arguement you make there.

You must be so proud.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

That's not an argument - those are facts.

Rafa Benitez Facts Meme - Newcastle news: Rafa Benitez refuses to ...

Facts about other sports also following suit by collapsing men's and women's sports together.

Or facts that that's always been the case?

1 minute ago, m0e said:

Are you on cocaine at the minute?

Is English your second language?

Fact -- women on sports pages.

Speculation - When did that start?

I imagine if you followed any other sports you certainly would know the answer as you would have noticed it immediately.

None of this makes the fact (see what I did there) you get so worked up about Women's football any less hilarious.

14 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Is English your second language?

Fact -- women on sports pages.

Speculation - When did that start?

I imagine if you followed any other sports you certainly would know the answer as you would have noticed it immediately.

None of this makes the fact (see what I did there) you get so worked up about Women's football any less hilarious.

Ahhh

This is you not being worked up.

Got it.

7 hours ago, m0e said:

Facts about other sports also following suit by collapsing men's and women's sports together.

Or facts that that's always been the case?

You think other women's sports were "always" afforded equal prominence in the media?

2 hours ago, deiseach said:

You think other women's sports were "always" afforded equal prominence in the media?

I don't. That was my point.

And there is a reason for that. Very few people watch women's sports. The data is clear.

It's the same reason Everton hardly get a mention whilst United and Liverpool dominate the column inches.

The market sets the agenda, not a group of feminist campaigners.

And I don't follow any other sports, but I don't remember ever seeing women transfer news in the men's pages, let alone with no distinction about it being the women's team.

Screenshot_20220727-233107_Chrome.jpg

My daughter is really happy that there is womens football on TV, she's five and always asked 'Do they do girls football?' when I was watching football and I made a conscious effort to watch womens football with her as I have no interest in allowing her to be put off sports through lack of media coverage.

She loves it and now asks if we, me and our three year old boy, can go to the park and practice.

I thought it'd be nice to get her an England shirt for Sunday, something I'd never consider for the mens team, and they're charging £115 for a kids shirt!

Fuck that.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, m0e said:

I don't. That was my point.

And there is a reason for that. Very few people watch women's sports. The data is clear.

It's the same reason Everton hardly get a mention whilst United and Liverpool dominate the column inches.

The market sets the agenda, not a group of feminist campaigners.

And I don't follow any other sports, but I don't remember ever seeing women transfer news in the men's pages, let alone with no distinction about it being the women's team.

Screenshot_20220727-233107_Chrome.jpg

"The market sets the agenda, not a group of feminist campaigners."

I suppose this boils down to whether you think 'the market' should trump other considerations. I can think of countless instances of 'the market' scoffing at the efforts of a small number of doughty campaigners to change the narrative. Those who sought a sporting boycott of apartheid South Africa were viewed as cranks back in the day. A tipping point arrived though when their efforts bore fruit. Change doesn't just happen. Something has to cause it. Time will tell if people are truly receptive to women's football moving into the mainstream, I guess.

• Upvote 1

Looks like a certain Arsenal midfielder has been outed as the player accused of rape earlier in the summer after his victim decided to speak out.

Sounds like she's spoken out because he's likely to get off on a technicality because of a legislation change relating to where the offence occured.

13 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Looks like a certain Arsenal midfielder has been outed as the player accused of rape earlier in the summer after his victim decided to speak out.

Sounds like she's spoken out because he's likely to get off on a technicality because of a legislation change relating to where the offence occured.

Surely rape is rape no matter where it occurs? 

Just now, Pete said:

Surely rape is rape no matter where it occurs? 

Who knows, there's a massive thread of tweets from the person and it sounds like one of the occasions is inadmissible in the UK but also sounds like other occasions were in the UK.

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Who knows, there's a massive thread of tweets from the person and it sounds like one of the occasions is inadmissible in the UK but also sounds like other occasions were in the UK.

That’s fucked up then.