You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Elden Ring

33 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Where are you up to?

I've just about started to get into the capital city.  Got a couple of places I skipped to go back to at some point, and an underground location to finish.

Starscourge Radahn is next big boss for me but I started Ranni's quest so it'll be the empty castle first. Will have to go back to that.

29 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

How do I do that? Nothing seems very clear.

Or should I keep taking down those sheep and the occasional guard? 

Get a few kills and then go back to the state of grace and level up, if you dont have enough runes get a few more. Make sure when you die you prioritise collecting the runes dropped before anything else. It's a bit tedious at first but once you start to level you can destroy most standard enemies especially in Limgrave.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

How do I do that? Nothing seems very clear.

Or should I keep taking down those sheep and the occasional guard? 

You literally just have to ride around limgrave and discover stuff. Get the Grace points, find encampments and mini dungeons. Find the ruins as they have an underground room with loot. You'll learn more doing that than anything else. The sheep etc give you a few runes but they're more to get you crafting items but the third grace point unlocks your Maiden and a couple more after that you'll get the Roundtable which is the same as the Firelink in DS3.

• Upvote 1

@Elite & @skend04 - cheers. I think I've achieved more this morning playing for an hour than I have the previous week. 

I've got that Maiden lass, but I skipped what she was saying so will have to Google it. Made my way east to Waypoint Ruins and Forlorn Hound Evergaol. Annoyingly I couldn't find a Grace and have died way, way east from Limegrave. 

I'll check out a few more of the dungeons. I've found some goblin thing with corridors of fire and one with loads of Wolves. I'll go back and try to complete them more thoroughly before venturing out again.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Anyone bother with crafting? Not bothered as of yet.

Yeah, the merchant down on the beach selling poison and scarlet rot cure recipes has proven helpful, and to make weapon grease.

Also crafting pots to kill those bastard iron maiden things from a distance seem the best approach to me.

54 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

@Elite & @skend04 - cheers. I think I've achieved more this morning playing for an hour than I have the previous week. 

I've got that Maiden lass, but I skipped what she was saying so will have to Google it. Made my way east to Waypoint Ruins and Forlorn Hound Evergaol. Annoyingly I couldn't find a Grace and have died way, way east from Limegrave. 

I'll check out a few more of the dungeons. I've found some goblin thing with corridors of fire and one with loads of Wolves. I'll go back and try to complete them more thoroughly before venturing out again.

Should be fairly quick to get back out there on your horse. I would also recommend going back to the Church of Elleh and waiting until night at the site of grace (pretty useful early game item). 

I think part of my issue, like Mario Odyssey to BOTW, is coming from Horizon into this.

Both Horizon & Odyssey are achievement heavy. I know Horizon is described as open world, and it is to an extent, but it definitely follows a structure, like Odyssey, of go to A, go to B, go to C etc etc etc.

Elden Ring is like BOTW. A truly open world game where you set the structure.

Like Zelda, I’m sure I’ll get there once my mindset changes a bit and I start to understand it all a bit more.

Completed Varre's questline and got that that transportation thing to Mohg's area. Loads of loot including a couple of 50k Golden Runes. Then if you can make it to the top of the hill, through the swamp, you can snipe a big bird for 11k runes, rest and repeat. I'm going to farm the shit out of that and level up.

43 minutes ago, Chris said:

My curiosity wants to play this, but I know deep down that I'll just quit if I find it too hard. Which I will because I'm fucking shit at gaming.

Yeah, you couldn't get on with Breath of the Wild so I think you'd find this a real slog.

6 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Yeah, you couldn't get on with Breath of the Wild so I think you'd find this a real slog.

This is true. Although, I think I went at BOTW in the wrong way. If I had another stab, I'd probably be better. I just ended up having no shit to use against baddies more fearsome than the one-arrow wonders. 

• Upvote 1

I'm going to get it at some point but the randomly failing quests because you'd gone to the wrong place first is going to make me want to start over all the time.

I don't mind a main story where picking a side determines the end game path but I hate failed side quests, especially when they show up as failed in the menu.

2 hours ago, skend04 said:

Completed Varre's questline and got that that transportation thing to Mohg's area. Loads of loot including a couple of 50k Golden Runes. Then if you can make it to the top of the hill, through the swamp, you can snipe a big bird for 11k runes, rest and repeat. I'm going to farm the shit out of that and level up.

Heard about that the other day. Really hope they don't patch it out before I can get there.