You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you go to uni...

Section_31

If you had the chance again?

Heard some young lad in the shops talking about going next year, got me thinking if I was that age again would I have done a different course, but thinking about it I don't think I'd go at all now.

The fees take the piss and I also think there's better ways of getting into certain jobs than there was back then, when a degree was still perceived as being the bare minimum for a lot of industries.

It never interested me when at school, all I wanted to do was get out of education. I was in top sets for all subjects but I wasn't the greatest at applying myself to homework or exam situations. My folks wanted me to go to Uni but as I said it wasn't for me, I left after GCSE's, done 18 months of nothing before getting a job.

I do regret not having the social side and maybe having time away from home.

I now work for a company that has lots of graduates, collegues around my age that done the university route and only just finished paying off fees so I don’t think not going has held me back in the long term.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't want to go to university with covid knocking around. Half the point of university is the social aspect. I feel so sorry for this generation, they might as well have enrolled at the Open University.

If I did go again, I'd probably attend lectures and actually complete all my coursework this time, and I'd also give myself more than 3 days to write a dissertation.

• Upvote 4

I didn't go but I had 2 brothers and 1 sister that did.

For the field I ended up working in, I was told on 2 occasions flat out that not having a degree hindered me. I've got to a reasonable place now but its the 23 years experience rather than the quals that have got me there. My siblings that did go embraced uni.....moved away, didn't stay at home and got a lot out of it and made friends that have stayed with them for life and took a lot of positives from it apart from the quals, so yes I would probably have given it a go if I had my time again.

On the other hand, I was ( and am) a bit of a miserable git so maybe I wouldnt have managed it. But on balance, I would have give it a go yes.

Yes as it’s a chance to learn to look after yourself, meet people from all over and generally widen your horizons.

Unless you go somewhere elite though I don’t think the degree in itself is enough to get you into a good job (with obvious exceptions if you are taking a qualification that then has a direct path such as a lot of healthcare courses).

I heard a good point raised that top firms recruit from the top universities not because of the education they will have received but that they have in general (children of generous donors etc aside) been identified as elite in order to get in to begin with so they’ve actually taken care of that part for them.

The finance side of it makes it more difficult now but I always regretted not making more of my University experience.

I chose the wrong course but, instead of changing, trundled through it to a 2:2.

Lived in a house with lads I knew from home. We had some laughs but never fully integrated with anyone new. I’m still in touch with plenty from School and a good few from places of employment but zero from University.

I think I’d have got much more out of it as a mature student. The ones on our course just seemed in a better place.

Nah, would I shite 

It's good if you're young to ease yourself into living independently, but there's better ways to go about this than spending 3 years racking up debt for a qualification that's practically worthless unless you're after a specific, highly skilled career path. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Ken Robber said:

Nah, would I shite 

It's good if you're young to ease yourself into living independently, but there's better ways to go about this than spending 3 years racking up debt for a qualification that's practically worthless unless you're after a specific, highly skilled career path. 

This

I'm trying to encourage my lads to find vocational jobs that pay you through Uni, so they get the qualification and the experience, but not the debt. Took me years to pay off my loan and it wasn't actually that much compared to today's amounts - and my degree has fuck all to do with the job I do anyway.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I'm trying to encourage my lads to find vocational jobs that pay you through Uni, so they get the qualification and the experience, but not the debt. Took me years to pay off my loan and it wasn't actually that much compared to today's amounts - and my degree has fuck all to do with the job I do anyway.

If you want I’ll get the details our apprentice used. PM if interested.   

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

If you want I’ll get the details our apprentice used. PM if interested.   

Cheers mate - my eldest is only 14 so still a bit young. He's interested in sport and also predicted A star in biology and a distinction in business. If he cant be a professional goalie, I reckon he'll end up being a coach, physio or something along those lines.

• Upvote 1

Only because I never went. Be interesting to see how life would unfold with a different circle of friends. Its mad how much life changes on sliding door moments. My missus was working behind a bar I had no plans of going too but circumstance changed my plans, that unremarkable night completely changed my life, it was also her last day working behind the bar. imagine the difference changing or growing your entire circle of friends by going to university would make. 

I wouldn't change my path. Doesn't mean I'd recommend it to others.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rushies tash said:

This or get a good apprenticeship. There is no way I'd want that debt hanging over me.

• Upvote 2

Yes

Financially it's lot more challenging now but the social side of it's the most important unless you're doing a vocational course or something like medicine.

Blew me away moving to a new city and interacting with new people from all over the place... broadens the horizon massively

Went to Uni but stayed at home. Never really liked it as it just felt like another 3 years of college. Luckily I didn't get into any debt. Only other place I had an offer from was Preston, took one look at the place when I visited and that was enough no fucking way was I moving up there for a couple of years, not becauseI disliked the town, just the actual Uni.

My brother went to Liverpool Uni but decided to move into a house by Penny Lane with a load of random lads just for the experience of it but ended up in thousands of pounds worth of debt. 

A mate of mine went to Uni in Carmarthen which only had a few pubs and a small amount of women who had probably been banged by half the town.

College and university were probably the most uneventful years of my life and I was just desperate to start work and earn some money. 

• Upvote 2