You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

It's a perfectly valid point of view, backed up with logic, chronology of events and rationale and one that's shared by a growing number of people.  The very opposite of "bonkers".  You'd do well to listen to it and appraise yourself of it properly, instead of being so blithely dismissive.  

No it isn't and no I wouldn't. That's the second time you've tried to tell me how to think; once you show signs of doing it yourself maybe I'll take lectures from you on how to do it. Probably not, but you've got a better chance if you don't start with easily dismissed conjecture and a false premise. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

No it isn't and no it wouldn't. That's the second time you've tried to tell me how to think, once you show signs of doing it yourself maybe I'll take lectures from you on how to do it. 

I'm not telling you how to think, I'm suggesting you appraise yourself of an argument before burying your head in the sand.

Whether you like it or not, it's a persuasive point of view to many people.  

Just now, Pureblood said:

I'm not telling you how to think, I'm suggesting you appraise yourself of an argument before burying your head in the sand.

Whether you like it or not, it's a persuasive point of view to many people.  

So was Nazism. Anyway, I'm not going to let you troll me like you've managed with the others. Blocked.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Western propaganda suggest Putin is failing. Im sure RT news says different. 

The big thing here for me is unlike the nazis, there is no ongoing conquests or more importantly, no death camps.

Essentially Putin hopes to overthrow a few parliament buildings and convince the large population to just lay down and take it. 

Dont think thats going to happen- which leaves him in a lose lose scenario.

Stupid bastard thinks its 1974

How are they failing? It's taken them two days and they are already in the capital and control the airports just outside of Kiev. 

1 minute ago, Boss said:

How are they failing? 

Well, I'm not sure they're failing per se but there's certainly some embarrassment there. The amount of aircraft, tanks, APCs, and soldiers they've lost is quite astounding, assuming even some of the reports and videos are true. 

6 minutes ago, Boss said:

How are they failing? It's taken them two days and they are already in the capital and control the airports just outside of Kiev. 

I guess because even when they inevitably overthrow the government he wont suppress the population. Ever.

Eventually the occupation of a few airports and central buildings will not be enough for a disgruntled Russian people 

25 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

He's gone a bit bonkers Pilger. He laments guardian journalists not telling it like he thinks they should, but keeps shtum when entire buildings of journalists in Hong Kong are placed under lock and key.

Rabid anti Westernism is some kind of mental illness. The concerns and anger often contains a kernel of truth but then spins totally out of control until the west gets the blame for everything.

And there is literally nothing Putin can do for people to take the blinkers off. He is now a constructive-solution guy who wasn't given an opportunity to solve things peacefully. In the middle of an all-out aggression on a neighbouring country of 40 million people. He is raping you but it's your fault for provoking him. Unbelievable.

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Russian losses figures from Ukraine military are hardly going to be accurate.

I don’t think anybody is claiming it as fact. Though there’s quite a lot of video evidence of taking down planes, helis, tanks, etc. That’s why I spoke about some of them being true. We don’t know for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I don’t think anybody is claiming it as fact. Though there’s quite a lot of video evidence of taking down planes, helis, tanks, etc. That’s why I spoke about some of them being true. We don’t know for sure. 

I know, I was just saying. They have suffered losses, but most of these figures sound unrealistic. Enemy deaths tend to be hugely overblown in particular, I don't believe they had over a 1,000 dead and wounded, their estimate would be over 10,000, which would make it what, half of all troops involved in direct combat? 

1 hour ago, Pureblood said:

Classic mental health slurs because he holds a different view.  Excellent. 

What would you prefer - mental health slurs, or low IQ slurs? Of course, the two are not mutually exclusive. Some have very poor IQ and very poor levels of mental health. Both can be made equally.

A statement is made: “Zelensky was elected largely by ethnic Russians on a platform to make peace with Russia.” This is demonstratively incorrect. It is not an opinion so much as saying “What you will probably not read in the news tomorrow: the sky is green” is an opinion. Of course, one could say that, and we would return to the question: mental illness, low IQ or both? Sometimes it’s time to call a spade a spade.

This is then compounded with: “Putin reportedly offered peace if Ukraine stated neutrality and rejected NATO.” One night as well say: “Hitler reportedly offered peace if Poland stated neutrality and rejected France & Soviet Union.” Indeed - Hitler’s invasion of Poland was pitched as a “defensive war” in Germany and the German-Polish non aggression pact was a real thing in 34. Putin wants control of Ukraine (as he had until the Ukrainian people - not Ukrainian military - rejected Yanukovch in 2014 and the successive encroachments into Crimea + Donbas signalled the beginnings of this conflict back from Russia). There are more than a few similarities between the two campaigns against neighbouring nations. Those calling for forced-neutrality are calling for the 75%+ strong voters of Ukraine to surrender their sovereignty. They will not do it without a fight.