You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Remmie said:

The determination of Ukrainians to protect their land cannot be understated. There are waves of fighters who have resigned to the fact they will die in the conflict but will take 10 opposition lives in the process. 

I'm not making any bold predictions about how the conflict will end other than to say it will be no walkover for Russia. 

Incredible bravery from the Ukrainians so far, absolutely huge respect to them.

19 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Talks between waring countries happen all the time, just because you don't hear of them does not mean they are not happening.

Nah, really Captain obvious over here.  I can't believe the cunts have cut me out of the talks.

It was more in reply to RP post " Ukraine ready for talks with Russia on neutral status - official".  Yeah that's not happening whilst Zelenskyy is around.

1 minute ago, J-V said:

Nah, really Captain obvious over here.

It was more in reply to RP post " Ukraine ready for talks with Russia on neutral status - official".  Yeah that's not happening whilst Zelenskyy is around.

I don't think the Russians were expecting such resistance, they were probably hoping to fuck Zelensky off quickly, with a pay off if he went nicely or a rope if he resisted and put in a puppet regime whilst promising neutrality, but it's all conjecture.

Is it just me or does the Russian army appear to be nowhere near the force that has been suggested and would be absolutely decimated if Nato were to get involved.

I mean they appear to be struggling against the Ukrainian forces and soldiers being captured by civilians. 

I mean they have even asked Kazakhstan to provide forces.

It's amazing how different the narrative is in the media compared to previous conflicts.

When we invaded Iraq and Afghanistan, the opposition were cowardly terrorists and insurgents. 

In the Ukraine they are brave freedom fighters.

And for the record I do think their bravery in standing upto the invasion is phenomenal, I just find it interesting how this compares with previous conflicts where we have rolled into countries

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Is it just me or does the Russian army appear to be nowhere near the force that has been suggested and would be absolutely decimated if Nato were to get involved.

I mean they appear to be struggling against the Ukrainian forces and soldiers being captured by civilians. 

Apparently they are only using about a third of their forces.

I think perhaps they did not expect such stubborn resistance. 

51 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Russia is puling some of its punches to reduce civilian casualties. They are already at the outskirts of the capital in, what, two days? They also hold the Gostomel airstrip where their position can be reinforced, about 20 miles from the city centre. 

They are also advancing on four different fronts. 

I'm not saying you are wrong but drawing far reaching conclusions two and a bit days in is a bit premature. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pureblood said:

I suspect we're only getting one side of the story from the usual suspects like the Guardian, in what will be a rapidly evolving and fluid situation.  I don't take much of it at face value. 

I follow the conflict entirely through this thread.

38 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Russia is puling some of its punches to reduce civilian casualties. They are already at the outskirts of the capital in, what, two days? They also hold the Gostomel airstrip where their position can be reinforced, about 20 miles from the city centre. 

They are also advancing on four different fronts. 

I'm not saying you are wrong but drawing far reaching conclusions two and a bit days in is a bit premature. 

Yes. They are no doubt aware there could be a united front to get involved if they started carpet bombing cities and the like with rising civilian casualties. That in itself would kind of dismantle Vlad the lunatic's rant about Ukraine not being a sovreign state in its own right, was the birth place of Russian peoples and therefore, always part of Russia. It never looks good totally destroying that which you claim is your own.

They also know that a country in total ruins would be very costly to build back up.

6 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

The Tory narrative seems to be to mock (fairly lightly at this stage I’ll grant them) the progress of the Russian invasion plan. Claiming they’re missing targets and failing to overcome local Ukrainian defences.

This might be true but it all feels a bit propagandarish to me. Makes me uncomfortable but I can’t really explain why. 

Bloke on the radio said the Russians have been testing the Ukrainians so far, seeing what resistance is like, what weapons they have and where they are sited.   Once they have a good feel for that they’ll send in the better trained and equipped blokes.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Bloke on the radio said the Russians have been testing the Ukrainians so far, seeing what resistance is like, what weapons they have and where they are sited.   Once they have a good feel for that they’ll send in the better trained and equipped blokes.  

A fella on here claimed to have invented a perpetual motion machine. What were this fella's credentials?

• Upvote 1