You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ibrahima Konate

Sugar Ape

He likes a torn muscle fibre. Almost a year out with it. What could possibly go wrong? Still, the silver lining is we could use the code FRESHNEW5035 and get a discount.

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

i can't get my head around this? 40m for a fella who can't play? are we that lazy at negotiating that he is a shortlist of one of centre backs with release clauses we can afford? this is fucking nuts. 

If you take the torn muscle fibre out then his record isn’t bad so I can only assume they think that’s a one off injury unlikely to reoccur. I know fuck all about those injuries though (or injuries in general to be be fair), is that a common one for footballers? Anyone know of any LFC players in recent history with something similar as a comparison?

8 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

If you take the torn muscle fibre out then his record isn’t bad so I can only assume they think that’s a one off injury unlikely to reoccur. I know fuck all about those injuries though (or injuries in general to be be fair), is that a common one for footballers? Anyone know of any LFC players in recent history with something similar as a comparison?

Torres. Although he was out for about a month each time, not a year.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/fernando-torres/verletzungen/spieler/7767

• Upvote 1

Sigh. A lot of whining already. True, the injury record is a bit worrying but it is actually not as bad as it looks on paper. And at least, the club is finally showing some intent to rectify their lack of action over CBs this season.

Let's remember, FSG pulled the plug on the Fekir deal due to injury concerns. Do we seriously believe they would sanction a 40m euro fee if they believed they were signing another Matip in Konate?

And also, let's not forget we did sign Van Dijk shortly after he recovered from a significant injury and a long spell out at Southampton.

Screenshot_20210329-100129_Facebook.jpg

25 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

i can't get my head around this? 40m for a fella who can't play? are we that lazy at negotiating that he is a shortlist of one of centre backs with release clauses we can afford? this is fucking nuts. 

Maybe we’re thinking we’ll send Keita back the other way? 

11 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I am guessing the torn muscle fibre is not the same injury and it is in different places? maybe anyway, i have never heard of it before, so assuming it is some translation shit. if it's the same injury and he has had it 3 times in less than 2 seasons, one of which an injury as long as VVD and the other as long (if not longer) than the injury Jota has just had, all in the space of 18 months - and with a small one in between?! wow! 18/19 is the only season he has played a high number of games in his career - he has been with RBL for 4 years, despite being just 21. i just can't get my head around how that isn't a problem. 

honestly, it feels to me the 1 certainty we need from a centre back next season is they'll likely be fit. with our 2 glass backs and VVD likely picking up small injuries as players do coming back from ACLs, I would like the player we sign to have a bit of a decent fitness track record. 

18 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

And also, let's not forget we did sign Van Dijk shortly after he recovered from a significant injury and a long spell out at Southampton.

Was about to say the same thing. 

I’ve seen him play but he sounds like he ticks all the boxes. 

Chris Williams discounting some the injuries puts a different light on some things. 

Our recruitment record when we actually spend money has generally been remarkable in recent years. I reckon the relevant people have done the right research if we are after this lad. 

If money is as limited as we're all predicting, I'd still rather be spending what we have further up the pitch and maybe keeping Kabak, though. 

42 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

In the last few seasons, where have we seen that? 

I'm not sure I've ever seen Konate play but even though Upamecano has all the hype, a lot of people are suggesting that Konate is the better player. He shares the same physical and athletic attributes as his fellow Frenchman at Leipzig, but is apparently less reliant on them so is less 'showy' because his game is more about correct positioning. A lot of Upamecano's work seems to be last-ditch because his positioning is suspect, much like Kyle Walker or Aaron Wan-Bissaka.

If we sign him, he could buck the trend for players we sign by turning from a perma-crock into the most durable and reliable player ever. The players we've signed that spent lots of time in the physio's room didn't seem to have fitness issues at their previous clubs. The only one I can think of is Paddy B, who was in and out of the Dortmund side thanks to a series of knocks.

42 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Sigh. A lot of whining already. True, the injury record is a bit worrying but it is actually not as bad as it looks on paper. And at least, the club is finally showing some intent to rectify their lack of action over CBs this season.

Let's remember, FSG pulled the plug on the Fekir deal due to injury concerns. Do we seriously believe they would sanction a 40m euro fee if they believed they were signing another Matip in Konate?

Screenshot_20210329-100129_Facebook.jpg

We did not pull out of Fekir because of his knee. Alisson became available and it was one or the other 

We're obviously signing this kid (to replace Matip maybe) and Kabak, as we've got a clear CB structure at the club:

Konate becomes Matip, the brilliant-when-fit-but-made-of-crisps option.

Kabak becomes Lovren, the good-on-his-day-but-fuck-me-he-can't-half-fuck-up-sometimes option.

• Upvote 1