You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Album Ever - Group F (Vote for your top 2)

Bjornebye

Greatest Album Ever - Group F (Vote for your top 2)  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Album Ever - Group F (Vote for your top 2)

• Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St
    • Radiohead - The Bends
    • Michael Jackson - Off The Wall
    • Primal Scream - Screamadelica

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/02/21 at 14:41

26 minutes ago, paddyberger said:

The Bends is my favourite album of all time, it's an absolute masterpiece. Not a lot of love for Radiohead on here but plenty voting by the looks of it.

It's great, not many albums in this whole thing can stand up to it track-by-track. One or two blander songs towards the end, but generally epic throughout.

Still think OK Computer is a greater album, took a few listens to click, but when it did it felt utterly unique. However, The Bends has more hits.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Pidge said:

It's great, not many albums in this whole thing can stand up to it track-by-track. One or two blander songs towards the end, but generally epic throughout.

Still think OK Computer is a greater album, took a few listens to click, but when it did it felt utterly unique. However, The Bends has more hits.

I really like OK Computer too,  In Rainbows is criminally underrated.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mook said:

It's a mad one alright.

Three or four of my mate's kids have got their heads screwed on, I see kids playing in bands all the time who clearly know their stuff. You see people under 16/18 every day posting stuff on social media about great music from the 1930s right up to the present day. Kids have a hunger about listening to & playing music that a lot of people lose when they get older.

Just from my own experience growing up, all my pals were obsessed with music in High School. Listening to Hendrix, The Band, Buffalo Springfield, Motown, everything we could get our hands on.

Keith Moon  years ahead of his time in his Brexit shirt.

12 hours ago, Mook said:

I find this accusation levelled at Off The Wall & Thriller that they're 'music for kids' to be an odd one. Sinatra was for kids, Elvis was for kids, The Beatles were for kids, Zeppelin were for kids. A lot of kids have great taste in music & can see what's coming long before us old farts.

Good music is good music whether kids, adults or grannys like it.

Haven’t read this thread and don’t know who’s said what about Off The Wall except from what you’ve written here, but this follows a theme on here: basically the forum is full of miserable old fuckers who dismiss anything they don’t understand, which generally means black music, music by women and music designed to make you dance/smile. If it’s written and performed by people who look and think like them, sound; if not it’s shit/for kids/whatever. The fact they’re so vociferous about these criticisms is cover for their insecurities: I don’t get it so I must dismiss it. 

I could post in thread after thread about how fucking dull I find so much of the “classic” records/bands beloved on here, but why would I? Clearly all music has its place and if someone likes it, then sound. My problem though is this constant desire to piss on other people’s chips. You can’t “win” at being a music fan. If you like it, great; if not, shut the fuck up. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Paul said:

Haven’t read this thread and don’t know who’s said what about Off The Wall except from what you’ve written here, but this follows a theme on here: basically the forum is full of miserable old fuckers who dismiss anything they don’t understand, which generally means black music, music by women and music designed to make you dance/smile. If it’s written and performed by people who look and think like them, sound; if not it’s shit/for kids/whatever. The fact they’re so vociferous about these criticisms is cover for their insecurities: I don’t get it so I must dismiss it. 

I could post in thread after thread about how fucking dull I find so much of the “classic” records/bands beloved on here, but why would I? Clearly all music has its place and if someone likes it, then sound. My problem though is this constant desire to piss on other people’s chips. You can’t “win” at being a music fan. If you like it, great; if not, shut the fuck up. 

Did you enjoy the ROW competition, Paul?

Some of the finest bands from Germany, Ireland and Australia.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Primal Scream are at their worst when they sound like the Stones and at their best when they don't. 

Absolutely spot on. A brilliant band when they do their own thing.

I went for The Bends and Screamadelica as both albums resonate with me a lot more than the others. I've never really warmed to the Stones, although i have heard a few of their albums (Satanic Majesties, Sticky Fingers, Exile and Beggars Banquet) they've never stuck with me as being memorable, apart from the singles. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I get the general point you're making here mate, but there is bit of ironic snobbiness in saying that because you don't like something its because you don't understand it. It may be true in some cases, but i was exposed to Michael Jackson (oo-err) from an early age and he did nothing for me. That doesn't mean i cant appreciate what a talent he was, but musically, the odd song apart it leaves me cold.  But you can't go around telling people they don't understand a certain type of music, when their ears and brain are already telling them that it's clearly not their cup of tea.  I love Radiohead whilst others clearly don't. It's got nothing to do with their understanding of them, they just don't like them, and that's their prerogative. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

In Rainbows is IMO better than OK Computer and The Bends. I'd have it just behind Kid A in their catalogue. 

What I like about Radiohead is the constant evolution, they push the boundaries of what their sound is. You could start to hear it in the Bends and OK Computer went even further. Kid A was likely their biggest step, I can remember hearing Everything In It's Right Place and thinking I'm not sure I'm going to like this but it's fantastic album and you can hear the impact of that one more than most on all the albums that followed.

I love Weird Fishes on In Rainbows, insanely melodic and likely my favourite track they have ever done. This is a great stop motion video some guy made which is awesome.

Seems on here it's not cool to like them but it takes all sorts, music is there to be enjoyed after all. There is no wrong or right, just personal preference and I think they are gem of band.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Miserable old fuckers? It's got nothing to do with it meaning black music /music by women or whatever. 

I could list loads of black musicians that I like and female artists too, colour doesn't come into it mate but I can see your agenda here. 

I can't dance myself but it's one of life's pleasures watching girls dancing to a good throbbing beat, especially if it's for you. 

So who's to know who should fuck off?, as I've said music is personal and has nothing to do with certain issues you mentioned. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Paul said:

The whole point of these threads is to bring some more life to GF by getting people going about what they are passionate about other than politics, which is usually music (and films/TV) and have some fun along the way. You cannot have that without "pissing on other people's chips" and bigging up your own. You are normally guilty of that as much as anybody.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, paddyberger said:

What I like about Radiohead is the constant evolution, they push the boundaries of what their sound is. You could start to hear it in the Bends and OK Computer went even further. Kid A was likely their biggest step, I can remember hearing Everything In It's Right Place and thinking I'm not sure I'm going to like this but it's fantastic album and you can hear the impact of that one more than most on all the albums that followed.

I love Weird Fishes on In Rainbows, insanely melodic and likely my favourite track they have ever done. This is a great stop motion video some guy made which is awesome.

Seems on here it's not cool to like them but it takes all sorts, music is there to be enjoyed after all. There is no wrong or right, just personal preference and I think they are gem of band.

It's not just in here but in general I find.

They've been tagged as "depressing" or "moany" by people or media who might have heard Creep or Exit Film or watched the Father Ted scene with that in it and heard nothing else from them. The groove on some of the In Rainbows tracks is amazing - Reckoner, Weird Fishes, Jigsaw. The up-tempo almost dance tracks on TKOL and AMSP. Even the bassline on Airbag on OK Computer grooves.

The amount of conversations I've had with people who've said "yea, but they went shit after OK Computer", then I'd ask what albums they've heard since and the answer is nearly always "none". Blerts.

The answer of course is to listen first and make your own mind up and don't believe everything you've been told by media or clueless  friends. If you don't like it then that's perfectly fine. 

• Upvote 2

The Bends was the clear choice for me on this one, huge band growing up and very much one I grew into, as when I was younger I thought they were dull. I was wrong.

It was a toss up between the stones and jacko. Off the Wall still has a bit more of the disco sound and, while that's fine, I don't think I'll ever sit and stomach an album's worth. Prefer his later stuff, which is why I voted for Thriller in the other group (iirc). 

Anyway Raw Power went out to fucking U2 so it's all bollocks. 

2 hours ago, paddyberger said:

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

It's not just in here but in general I find.

They've been tagged as "depressing" or "moany" by people or media who might have heard Creep or Exit Film or watched the Father Ted scene with that in it and heard nothing else from them. The groove on some of the In Rainbows tracks is amazing - Reckoner, Weird Fishes, Jigsaw. The up-tempo almost dance tracks on TKOL and AMSP. Even the bassline on Airbag on OK Computer grooves.

The amount of conversations I've had with people who've said "yea, but they went shit after OK Computer", then I'd ask what albums they've heard since and the answer is nearly always "none". Blerts.

The answer of course is to listen first and make your own mind up and don't believe everything you've been told by media or clueless  friends. If you don't like it then that's perfectly fine. 

Totally agree with both of you on this. I've got a mate who loves prog and metal, Marillion are his favourite band (for some unknown reason), but he just will not tolerate Radiohead. And believe me i've tried to convert him on the premise that a lot of what he likes isn't actually dissimilar (late period Anathema, for instance, who he adores). Some people just have it in their heads that they will not like a band or artist regardless of how many times you try to convince them otherwise, or regardless of how many times they try to convince themselves they're still rubbish, despite the evidence to the contrary. People making an about face and admitting they were wrong is rarer and rarer these days.    

The only equivalent i can find where i have done that is The Fall, who i thought were absolute garbage for years, but then when i deliberately sat down and listened to them after Mark E Smith died, i appreciated them and freely admitted i was wrong. To a lesser extent Bowie too, but i was more indifferent towards him, i never really disliked him. 

I've never really listened to Anathema but I have drank beer with a couple of them. One of my mate's used to be their T-shirt roadie on tour so he brought them to the pub. They seemed sound enough. After they left, the barman (who's also mates with them) put some of their stuff on thinking I'd like it but no, not for me. I don't like Radiohead either if that helps. Have given them a go a fair few times but they just aren't for me. I think seeing them as support for the Frank & Walters might have put me off them forever on some subconscious level. 

3 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I've never really listened to Anathema but I have drank beer with a couple of them. One of my mate's used to be their T-shirt roadie on tour so he brought them to the pub. They seemed sound enough. After they left, the barman (who's also mates with them) put some of their stuff on thinking I'd like it but no, not for me. I don't like Radiohead either if that helps. Have given them a go a fair few times but they just aren't for me. I think seeing them as support for the Frank & Walters might have put me off them forever on some subconscious level. 

No issues whatsoever with someone saying they've at least attempted to listen to someone and then decided it's not for them, it's when people dismiss stuff without at least dipping a toe in the water that annoys me. 

9 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

No issues whatsoever with someone saying they've at least attempted to listen to someone and then decided it's not for them, it's when people dismiss stuff without at least dipping a toe in the water that annoys me. 

I have been known to do this if a band walks on stage with a headless, fretless bass. You may as well walk away before they play a note really. 

Especially if they've got a saxophone twat with them. 

1 minute ago, cloggypop said:

I have been known to do this if a band walks on stage with a headless, fretless bass. You may as well walk away before they play a note really. 

Oh man, i've recently rediscovered the brilliance of Japan (the band, not the country) and Mick Karn is part of the appeal with his bass playing. Normally i run a mile but it suits their sound perfectly and he was a sublime talent   

Just now, Total Longo said:

Oh man, i've recently rediscovered the brilliance of Japan (the band, not the country) and Mick Karn is part of the appeal with his bass playing. Normally i run a mile but it suits their sound perfectly and he was a sublime talent   

Are you at the wearing eyeliner stage of love for them yet?