You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

I have no idea how you are extrapolating that.

As far as I am aware not many asymptomatic folks keel over from either flu or Covid.

The study you posted said as much - the majority don't even see a Doctor - it is highly doubtful that they then die.

Without going to see a Doctor. In fact it is bordering on ridiculous.

Quite.

In Sweden, they are using Covid as an actual cause of death, to measure how many people Covid kills. This equates to just 13% of the people that die with a positive Cobid death within the last 30 days. 

If you are testing everybody at death's door, or even post mortem, you will find a lot of people who had asymptomatic flu too, but we don't do that do we. We only do this for Covid.

I can draw you a Venn Diagram if you like. I've upgraded to 3D MS Paint now.

5 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Quite.

In Sweden, they are using Covid as an actual cause of death, to measure how many people Covid kills. This equates to just 13% of the people that die with a positive Cobid death within the last 30 days. 

If you are testing everybody at death's door, or even post mortem, you will find a lot of people who had asymptomatic flu too, but we don't do that do we. We only do this for Covid.

I can draw you a Venn Diagram if you like. I've upgraded to 3D MS Paint now.

Can you draw Dwayne (The Rock)'s Johnson please 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Again, folks in the hospital who are sick with something else are very rarely asymptomatic for the flu. You are taking all of this out of context imo. Sweden is the last place to use as an example as they have been manipulating data to suit the entire time.

Yes. Please get the Venn diagram up. 

Citation needed.

Surely Sweden measuring cause of death is better than us measuring whether the person had Covid in the last 30 days. Remember, this was once 90 days too. It's completely illogical. Why are we testing for Covid post mortem if it's not been evident prior to death, and if they've actually had negative deaths prior to test?

I can see for background data this may be of interest, but not in headline figures for Covid deaths.

33 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

So are you disputing the fact that if the flu deaths were recorded in the same way Covid numbers are, then a bad flu season would be 60 - 70 thousand deaths?

I'm not disputing anything. I don't know how flu deaths are recorded. You seem to be asserting the method we use today for covid isn't a valid way to track things. I realise it's not perfect, but I don't think the number differences are enough to get alarmed about. It's like trump complaining that some bloke in number 23 might have signed his ballot paper in the wrong place. It's just a fucking distraction from the big picture. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Surely Sweden measuring cause of death is better

If you want to measure apples to apples the last two seasons it looks like flu deaths as recorded by the Swedes were just over 1000.

They are now at over 6,300 using the same recording method with about 4 months to go to complete an annual cycle.

Still not sure what the point is you are trying to make.

And get the diagram up.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If you want to measure apples to apples the last two seasons it looks like flu deaths as recorded by the Swedes were just over 1000.

They are now at over 6,300 using the same recording method with about 4 months to go to complete an annual cycle.

Still not sure what the point is you are trying to make.

And get the diagram up.

And in this country flu deaths have never been lower. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in between.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

People do understand that when in lockdown it’s not just the coronavirus spread that is reduced, but all communicable diseases? Flu spread will be down too as people aren’t out and about spreading it or are wearing face masks and helping lessen its spread. 

Yes mate - it was pointed out in this thread in March that the flu numbers would be low.

• Upvote 1